Is there an Alchemist in the house??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Is there an Alchemist in the house??

I have never really messed with Alchemy, my last char was a warrior who used alot of magic, but she never messed with Alchemy. My new char is a Khajit, and Im doing everything different with him as far as "career path". One of them is trying out Alchemy, but Im wondering if it's worth it. He is so much weaker at this point than my Nord, I need to use all my resources in the best possible way.

Has anyone really went all-out Alchemist, and if so is it worth it?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:43 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There are ways to infinite loop alchemy to the point where using alchemy is considered 'cheating' or exploiting in the official forums.

It consists of making potions that raise intelligence, drinking those to raise intelligence which lets you make better potions of fortify intelligence and then guzzling those... intelligence dictates duration and boost levels.

Anyways, some people end up with intelligences of 1000 + lasting for game weeks, potions that cure 500 health per second for 1000 seconds, etc by doing this. I think it's stupid. Alchemy isn't weak... it's just slow.

Once you get to about skill 70 and intelligence 70 I think your potions can start to become better than the ones you can find/buy. it just takes bloody forever...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:29 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Hmmmmm

Level 70 is no small endeavor, especially with this assassin Khajit. I want to keep the trainer usage down to a minimum with him, so that's alot of grinding there. I think I'd much rather depend on the countless treasure chests, merchants, and my own restoration skills for my healing needs. Healing is primarily why I was interested, I was just curious about making my own patented snake oil healing elixir. He's a ranged type of fighter, so he never really has to sit there and guzzle several down because he simply doesnt get hit very much. Well, when things go as planned, that is.

Also, I wanted to be able to simply eat reagents and get the effect(s) listed. But from what I gather (no pun intended), a pawful of crab meat is probably such an ineffectual treatment, it's not even worth the stomach distress.

I want to set up a little roadside stand between Balmora and Caldera called "Sam's Discount Snake Oil Emporium".
Might make a decent plugin
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:12 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

For basic healing I think 40 or 50 is a good start... but yeah it is a bit of work. I don't really use healing potions... so I'm not tempted to chain guzzle them in combat.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:43 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The apparent difficulty of raising your alchemy stat shouldn't be a concern - you'll find that after a while it just shoots up. I recommend using a trainer to get you up to ten or so, then leave it to increase as and when you create potions.

The real problem with alchemy is that it's really easy to abuse! You can sit in an alchemist's with your alchemy gear, buy a load of ingredients from the shop owner, mix them up, sell the potions you made, and buy a load more ingredients. It's not long before the amount of money you sell the potions for exceeds the cost of the ingredients. If shops didn't effectively have infinite stock of some items, this wouldn't be a problem. But there we are.

It's been a while since I played with it myself, but I seem to recall that Nalcarya of the White Havens was a great place to mix up potions of Levitation, and the Balmora temple was great for healing potions. You quickly learn where to go to abuse your skills.

I've made recommendations in the past to try to limit the damaging effects of alchemy on the game, which include never buying ingredients (only mix what you gather yourself), never sell a potion you've mixed, and never pick INT as a level-up bonus after a session of alchemy (the modifier is bound to be x5). But it's pretty easy to see where the flaws lie, and you can make up your own guidelines.

One last piece of advice: before your first big alchemy session, save the game. You may feel dirty enough after it to want a shower and a reload.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Bah! Alchemy abuse can be fun. The house mod I used included a rack of alchemy ingredient containers. I'd swing by someone that sold ingredients, buy up a raft of what they had, and fill up my containers. It was my personal spice rack. Then, before levelling, I'd mix the heck out of things and get 10 INT boosts to max out my multiplier.

I rarely used the potions I'd mix. I'd trade them for more ingredients. Gotta feed the habit. Some players collect armor; some collect weapons. I collected ingredients, and that was about the only fun I had with the game.

Just make certain you don't choose alchemy as a major/minor if you plan to exploit- you'll level FAR too quickly.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:59 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I collect weapons, armor, books, skulls/helmets, and shinys... heh. And one character collects pillows for Pillow Mansion construction. Haven't managed a mansion yet, but I made a bunker complete with sandbags... and an igloo.

My girlfriend likes alchemy... me, I sell the ingredients for chump change... keeping only the ones useful for healing potions (which I never use in combat but occassionally use if I don't feel like casting Hearth Heal afterwards) or potions of levitation. Lug around a grandmaster mortar for that reason alone.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:49 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
One last piece of advice: before your first big alchemy session, save the game. You may feel dirty enough after it to want a shower and a reload.

Geez, you werent kidding cfm

Just the pretty basic restore fatigue potions are like 16/sec for 40 secs!
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:24 pm