Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
SWG: Most successful launch of an MMO ever...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Vival

I agree with Ekim.
What do you guys expect from them? A critical review of their game instead of a press release(=propaganda)?
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:31 pm

Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Typical press-release that geared more toward advertising purpose and tries to get the remaining fence sitter to buy the game. Especially for less informed buyers, that press release sound awfully nice.

It is not the first and the last time we'll see this.

Sheesh! There are some funny posts here! Erm... a press realease IS marketting and advertisement! We WILL see more, yes, as we do of ALL the MMORPGs out there... Nothing new here, really. Why the indignation!

In previous post, i said that the press release is just a typical (stuffed with hyperboles, boastful & boring) press release we usually hear from game publishers/developers, and i didn't deny this. So, it's an advertisement and come with marketing purposes. In other words, "typical press release" = "more toward (or for) advertising purpose." See, we actually agree on the same thing. Probably i wrote that previous statements in a way that seem to mean something else?

As for indignation, far from it. In fact, i don't care much about the game, just commenting on the "extremely consumer friendly" press release from consumerism perspective!.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:53 pm
Ale

I hope someone posts the cancellation rates about 1 month from now. It will also make records.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:58 pm

spock35
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

did they hire baghdad bob?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:06 am
Test

Well I don't think anyone is trying to kill the messenger. But I think most will agree that the title of the newspost is a bit inappropriate, although I understand the need to protect present and future advertisers.

A better title would have been:
Lucusarts claims SWG Most successful launch of an MMO ever...

... instead of ...

Just my opinion..
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:06 am

Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Well, when I open a newspaper, I see in big fat letters:
N. BONAPARTE WAS A DUMB AND SHORT-SIGHTED FOOL
said a history teacher in todays...

I really don't see the problem with the title. First Rend gets shot at for posting a link to a negative SWG review and next Mo gets complaints for posting the title of a press release in the title-line. I've just got the feeling people get rather easily over-heated on this one.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Test
Well I don't think anyone is trying to kill the messenger. But I think most will agree that the title of the newspost is a bit inappropriate, although I understand the need to protect present and future advertisers.

A better title would have been:
Lucusarts claims SWG Most successful launch of an MMO ever...

... instead of ...

Just my opinion..

...says Lucasarts in this press release in the very next line. It's pretty plain to anyone who reads it exactly what is meant; taking the title out of context of the following text deliberately distorts the meaning. In fact, I would argue that it could be construed as mild sarcasm rather than an endorsement.

As for protecting ad revenue, that's laughable. As an editor here, no-one has ever directed, suggested, intimated or hinted anything about advertising to me. I don't even know what ad revenue we get or were we get it from so to suggest that we would phrase newsbits to protect income is ridiculous.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:59 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Thanks for some support there, guys .
It's funny how a simple, ordinary newsbit is viewed from different angles. I bet that some of the people who posted in this thread will always find something to complain about when we mention SWG. The only way to make them happy would be posting -if that ever happens- "Lucas Arts and SOE file for bankruptcy" and even if we did that, they'd prolly still complain that we didn't add "...finally..." to the headline .
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:52 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I think it's best not to alter an official news headlines, better leaving them exactely as in original source. In some serious news, If altered, somebody probably get sued!. Unless of course in different context, the title is part from an articles on opinion or related to comments, reviews...
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:00 am
Test

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, it's not really that big a deal I guess to me, .. perhaps I'll keep some of my opinions to myself in the future

Dhruin, clearly I 'saw' what it said in the very next line. But scanning news titles that one 'sticks way out' long before you ever see "says Lucasarts in this press release "

Anyway appreciate the site as always, you guys do a great job, even if I have to block the annoying pop-up kitten (sorry, it just goes to far).
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:46 am

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
In previous post, i said that the press release is just a typical (stuffed with hyperboles, boastful & boring) press release we usually hear from game publishers/developers, and i didn't deny this. So, it's an advertisement and come with marketing purposes. In other words, "typical press release" = "more toward (or for) advertising purpose." See, we actually agree on the same thing. Probably i wrote that previous statements in a way that seem to mean something else?

As for indignation, far from it. In fact, i don't care much about the game, just commenting on the "extremely consumer friendly" press release from consumerism perspective!.

Remus, I'm truly sorry if you felt I was singling you out... That wasn't my intention. I was generalizing the posters in this thread which were taking the press release as being something it wasn't. I guess I shouldn't have used quotes in this case but I felt your post was generalizing things in the best way

As for indignation I didn't get that from you either. But some people have a bone to pick it seems! Again it was aimed at them

Oh well, sorry again

quote:
Originally posted by Ale
I hope someone posts the cancellation rates about 1 month from now. It will also make records.

You know, I'd bevery curious about that too! But maybe not for the same reason. I'd be curious to find out what everyone would have to say about it, whether the numbers are huge or very small

If they're huge people will say: "See? We told you! Another proof that SOE is a bad company! Look at them flee from the game! SWG is crap, and here's the proof!"

But if the numbers are small people would then say: "Bah! It's marketing crap! Those numbers aren't real! Everyone is leaving the game! Everyone says it's crap! SOE are a bunch of liars..."

One more thing: I'd be actually curious to know how many people that posted in this thread actually are playing the game
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:49 am
Dhruin

@Test, don't keep your opinions yourself - I think we all appreciate a robust debate and everyone's opinion is welcome. The only problem I had was I thought some posts were unfair to Moriendor personally.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:08 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2