Usergroups
Sequel
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I heard somewhere(probably here) that Piranha is making another Gothic. Does anyone know how the sales for Gothic are doing in North America? I would hate not to recieve Gothic 2 because of poor sales of the first game. Why would Piranha want to ship out Gothic 2 to Canada if the first one sold poorly? I hope it does well here and we recieve the sequel around the sametime as the Germans do.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:56 am
Zorak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I haven't heard anything about the sales yet, but it's only been released for a couple of days. anyway, even thought this game has a lot of minor bugs, it's an incredibly fun game and in my opinion the best RPG yet. the great thing about it is that you don't have to pay month after month to play a great RPG game!
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:47 pm
Zorak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I haven't heard anything about the sales yet, but it's only been released for a couple of days. anyway, even thought this game has a lot of minor bugs, it's an incredibly fun game and in my opinion the best RPG yet. the great thing about it is that you don't have to pay month after month to play a great RPG game!

Joy's recollection is no longer joy, while sorrow's
memory is sorrow still
~Lord Byron
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:47 pm
The Rice Lord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic is selling like hotcakes here. I barely managed to grab the last copy at my local EB.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

That´s good news.
Can you estimate how many pieces they sold at what price (excl. taxes)?

Afaik there are no news on the sequel. The search function should deliver the older infos.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:13 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic is doing really badly in North America.

This is because gamers don't buy gaming magazines, or go to gaming sites anymore.

They rely on friends and Warez sites to learn about games. And those people rely on friends and other Warez sites... And so on.

But all-in-all, Gothic has a real cult following. I am personally getting bored of the mechanics of this game now. But it's help my interest for a few good months.

I hate Operation:Flashpoint now, too.
Max Payne has always sucked to me.

etc. etc. Being Canadian is tuff! I just wanted to say that
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:10 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hey The Rice Lord, do you live in the states? If its selling well then thats great news. Wish there was a site I could find out about the sales. I still can't believe they don't talk about the game on gamespot. It's like it doesnt exist. The give details that it was released but they have no demo or reviews.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:13 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hey FetishFool, are you high, are you on something? Max Payne is one of the best games ever made. Did you actually play it past level 3? Give the game a chance man and you will see its greatness. It is very rare we get games like these. For the past three years its been nothing but fuckin garbage 3d shooters. This year has been the best for gaming thanks to Gothic and Max Payne. I truly hope theres more to come for Im tempted to buy a playstation 2(final fantasys, resident evils, etc) and forget about computer gaming.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:22 am

aye, there seem to be very few reviews of the english version of gothic
it's possible that the media relation dudes from the gothic publisher have screwed up there:)
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:50 am

FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Renzy, I obviously gave Max Payne a chance. I bought the game before it came out in North America.

I got bored of it really easily. It's just too repetitive.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 1:44 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Man…I love Max. It’s like being in a Sam Spade novel. I also find Deus Ex very enjoyable. I hope this new class of game continues. They offer something for everyone. And I too agree that Xicat has dropped the ball on marketing this game. Virgin has done the same thing with this game that we play at work…It was called Venom (FPTS) by the creators and caught on quick. Then they signed a deal with Virgin and the first thing they did was change the name to Codename: Outbreak. I liked Venom better but Virgin never followed through with the marketing and they pushed it out the door before it was ready. They are not even responding to all the complaints the game is having…Very bad PR.

Sylvio
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:24 pm

I am in the States.

I doubt Gothic will do well here.
though a great game and one of the best single player RPG's I have played in a long time, there is no advertising here.
I heard about the game through EBworld, just seeing what was coming out soon.
I couldn't find any previews anywhere, no buzz and whne I went to Electronics boutique to check it out, they didn't even have it on the new release wall, I had to ask where it was (next to the magazines, under the registar).
There is a good amount of buzz about the online RPG's and Wizardy 8, and those dominated the new release wall.

Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 2:57 pm

Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't find that here...EB had 10 copies sitting on the shelf on the 21st. $45

Sylvio
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:34 pm

OFP is way far from other games. It's something that I hadn't never seen. Anyway it has it's losses too, good game still. Max Payne is a nice game with nice graphics, but IMO it has a poor replaying value and it's too linear for me. Both games are revolutionary and have a great atmosphere. IMO atmosphere is the most important thing in single-player games. Gothic has it and that's why I like Gothic ;]
Post Thu Nov 29, 2001 4:22 pm

Zorak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

just a post I found at Gamespot that I thought sharing with you guys:

Phenomedia partners with JoWood

The worldwide nine-game publishing agreement includes the city-building game Far West, as well as sequels to Gothic, Cultures, and The Planner.

German game companies Phenomedia AG and JoWood Productions today announced a nine-game worldwide publishing agreement. Under the partnership, Phenomedia will provide the content, and JoWood will publish and distribute the games worldwide.
The games covered in the agreement include Far West, a western-themed ranch management strategy game in development at Greenwood Entertainment, as well as sequels to previous games such as the popular management simulation The Planner, the Viking strategy game Cultures, and the 3D medieval role-playing game Gothic. The announcement did not include any information about the worldwide publishing of the original Gothic game.

By Trey Walker, GameSpot PC

Joy's recollection is no longer joy, while sorrow's
memory is sorrow still
~Lord Byron
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 3:32 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next