Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A General Wizardry 8 Question: Don't Hurt Me, Please!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

A General Wizardry 8 Question: Don't Hurt Me, Please!

I really want to like this game, but it's not happening.

I'd never played a Wizardry game before but I eagerly snapped this one up when I read the raft of good reviews it got.

To give you a hint at my tastes, I played and either liked or LOVED all the Baldur's Gates (even Dark Alliance), Icewind Dale, Planescape, Fallout, M&MVI, M&MVII, Lands of Lore 1 and 2, Anvil of Dawn, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Gothic, and Summoner.

I'm just not having fun with W8. I created a pretty traditional party (except playing a bard is new for me). I slogged my way through the Monastery.

I endured countless BORING battles in which my butt was handed to me on a plate by ANTS. ANTS, I tell you, ANTS!!!

Magic seems unbelievably unreliable.

I finally made it to the first town, after braving rogues, bandits and about a million ANTS (did I mention the ANTS?!?!?).

I have no clue what to do in the town.

Frankly, all the talk about monsters leveling with you really concerns me. It seems like it truly truly defeats the purpose of classic RPG gameplay. If monsters level with me, what's the point of leveling??!?! When I play an RPG, I get pleasure in the arc of my abilities. Remember the respawning cannon-fodder baddies in Might and Magic VI and VII. It was fun, later in the game, to be able to mow them down (usually while flying and with meteors, heh heh heh). But if those same stupid little goblins and bandits got stronger and stronger as I did, it would have been really defeating.

Should I hang it up and list my copy of W8 on GameTZ? Or am I missing the groove here? I'd be happy to correct my thinking and give the game another try (after I finish Morrowind, of course, which will I assume be some time in mid-2003).

Maybe the game is just not to my taste. But there's something fishy about that idea when a) I've enjoyed so many RPGs in the past and b) so many people are enjoying the game.

I await enlightenment.

OW, what is that. Egad, ANTS!!!!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:00 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

First, Wiz8 ants are surprisingly tough. Wait until you get to the flaming ants in the mountain wilderness. Now there's some tough picnic-busters...

If you're having lots of trouble with combat against ants, you might need to check your strategy. Making use of favorable obstacles and party formation is critical. Unlike the M&M series where critters kindly wait their turn to be chewed up, Wiz8 critters will surround you. Being surrounded is bad news, even when it's by low-level monsters. By the way, MM7 is my favorite game of all time, so I understand where you're coming from. About the only games we "disagree" on are the BG series- I enjoy them for a while and then lose interest because you level up so seldom.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend a trip to our FAQ section here. There's lots of hints that will make your experience more enjoyable. As for monsters levelling, it didn't bother me much. It's not quite as easy as putting a grandmaster fireball into a pack of goblins, but it's not like you're fighting for your life the entire game. I think that once you get around level 12 or so, combat becomes much easier to handle.

Edit: Oh, one other thing- any "named"NPC should be talked to extensively. NPC conversations are pretty important in telling you what to do next. Myles the thief should initiate conversation with you as soon as you enter Arnika. He'll point you in the right direction to get started.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:29 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

Since everyone else seems to be off playing Morrowind I'll see if i can reassure you. Combat is hard intially and magic is unreliable, in fact all your skills are unreliable until you get some practice in. This is a big game and if you stick with it your characters will one day be able wander it's roads kicking butt as they go.Your spells will no longer fizzle or backfire and your fighters will become killing machines-- eventually.

It is true that some monsters level up as the game progresses but this keeps it interesting and you will eventually outstrip them-- in most places.

As to what to do in Arnika: a rather shady character by the name of Myles has a number of suggestions. Why not put yourself in his hands for a while. Go rescue a damsel in distress it's what roleplaying is all about.

I hope you won't give up on Wizardry. I've played and enjoyed most of the games you mentioned but the Wizardry series has always been rather special and has always amply repaid the large amount of time I've spent with it.

Afterall they're only ants- wait till you meet the Juggernauts,theSprites the Swallowers-so many interesting ways to die.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:39 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Gothmog
Since everyone else seems to be off playing Morrowind

slower PC = no Morrowind

I'm happy sticking with Wiz8 for now!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:48 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

lucky you. I'm struggling my way through Pools of Radiance2.
At least I don't have to worry how the water looks
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:17 am
HolyWarrior

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
quote:
Originally posted by Gothmog
Since everyone else seems to be off playing Morrowind

slower PC = no Morrowind

I'm happy sticking with Wiz8 for now!

same situation. Found WizGold in the bargain bin, thinking of cranking that up and importing a party--but I'm gonna miss my gadgie...
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:46 am

Ken Tucky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm also sticking with Wizardry 8!
I bought Morrowind yesterday, but it's so cool playing Wizardry. So I guess Morrowind will have to wait until I've finished Wizardry.
I agree somewhat that combat is a bit difficult in the beginning, but it gets better eventually, and this game gives me some great feelings of achievement!
Wizardry rules!
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:19 am

If you crank up W7, don't worry about missing your Gad: Run a Bard--you can import a collection of quite nice instruments that don't exist otherwise.
If you still want a Gad, importing a Bard gives you all the stats you need...
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:55 pm

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wiz7 was fun and very long. Wiz8 is shorter and better. I imported my Wiz7 party into Wiz8 and went on to win the game with them.
1 note about the bard in Wiz7: the bard casts mage spells in Wiz7, which he loses in Wiz8. My bard imported 8 really good instruments as his items, including at least 1 great one I don't think is otherwise available in Wiz8. While the bard does lose his spells in the import, he will get some new instruments which more than make up for the loss of spells. I loved the bard class.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:09 am

In Wiz8 I had a gadgie and a bard in addition to the "Basic 4". Started WizGold, I have a Val that I will convert to gadgie in Wiz8, since Vi can take over as Val.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:56 am