The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Thanks.

Gothic II Credits
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:37 pm
Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I voted no. I want the developers to concentrate on Single Player ONLY. Just like Bethesda does with Morrowind.
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:52 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

First of all, would I like to see a Gothic MMORG (Massively Multiplayer style RPG)? No. Hell NO. Please Pirahna, stay away! MMORPG is evilBAD. The only MMORPG I'm currently tolerating is Ultima Online. Which is so replete with arseholes that the shard might aswell just be represented by a giant anus. Mindless stat-gaining PKers who wouldn't know Gramma from their Grandma. Just like they barely know their arse from their elbow.

Does this mean I don't want multiplayer in Gothic? Nuh-uh. Confused? Okay, let me put it this way -- Gothic isn't a crowd game, that's just not what its about. However, the best thing that could be done would be to allow co-op roleplaying but with a max party of three. It wouldn't be hard to make Gothic multiplayer, think about it. In the intro, three chaps get tossed in instead of one (even though only one is given the note, this comes down to random generation at the start of the game).

Each of the three could then stick together, go their seperate ways or both. It'd be handy too, you don't even really need the ability to heal other players. 'Halllp! I'm hurt. Ow.', 'There, I just tossed down a Health Potion.', 'Thanks!'. I think that a character generator and a multiplayer game of up to three people could be implemented without changing Gothic at all, you could have numerous servers so people wouldn't be able to complain about the low amount of players but I think Gothic should be more of a game you'd enjoy with friends who already know it (i.e., people you'd trust to not be arses).

Of course, it'd be nice too if the game allowed the three to join different camps, friendly in game rivalries could come from that, I could see that easily;

Friend: For Gomez!
Me: Shut up.

Anyways though, to get to the point, all you really need is the ability to have three people in the intro, a char gen, a resurrect spellscroll and the protocols to get it all working. I don't think it'd be that hard, either. I'd actually pay for a package that allowed that, too. Since I think that, if it were a small party, Gothic would make a fine multiplayer experience.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:13 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Like life, the only person you can rely on is yourself. I do not want multi-player. I can take care of myself.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:04 pm
praj
Village Leader
Village Leader

the arena fights multiplayer thing's a good idea, but a party version of gothic doesnt seem to be a good idea. (seriously, how are you going to do quests? what if one of your "friends" beats you up, then runs away and by the time you catch up, he/she's now a mercenary equipped with urizel?)

Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:28 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

The arena fights are possible.
Bud about the party, I think that they could make a little multiplayer game with some special quest that are only in multiplayer.

Gothic II Credits
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:42 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Simple rule of thumb when playing a co-op game, Praj. Make sure the person you're playing with has a sense of ethics and cammeraderie -- and isn't an arse. ;3 That's why I said I didn't like the idea of an MMORPG, because you can't choose the people you play with, meaning you're forced to team ... or even be in the vicinity of gits. And gits I have no tolerance for. What you described there sounded like pretty standard MMORPG fare but still ... I think that you could make all of Gothic a multiplayer game but with a small party. As for the quests, the game would simply respond to whoever spoke to a character first. A few more quests would have to be put in to even things out but players can't be everywhere at once, so when one person is doing one quest, another can be doing another. So, a few more quests would be needed and camp admittance would have to be easier but still ... I think it could be done and done well.

I've had good experiences with co-op games where I've chosen the people I'm playing with, you can't really blame a game for a bad person, so no multiplayer game where you choose your playmates can be inherently bad. I'm hoping that there'll be multiplayer in Gothic 2 too. Just throwing in my two pence here. I see a lot of negativity when it comes to multiplayer Gothic and I don't want to play Devil's Advocate but I honestly think it's a good idea as an option. After all, if the game is designed the way I'm thinking -- you won't have to play it with other players at all. I guess, not really a multiplayer game then but a single player one where you take a couple of friends along for the ride.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:51 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2