Usergroups
It's great to know I am not alone!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

A fascinating discussion that I've enjoyed reading. I stand somewhere near the middle. I enjoy nearly all RPG's. ToEE was just OK and PoR2 was the pits, but I've had fun with the rest. I like NWN for the community too and the mods. I really enjoy playing online with friends. I do recommend HOU as the best of all the 'OC's' produced; it was a blast!!

Each game has had its individual strengths and weaknesses so comparisons aren't really worthwhile. After all, if it's fun, and gives you many hours of enjoyment, what else is really important? Considering what we pay for games here, I still feel happy with all but one of my purchases over the last few years. For what more can anyone ask?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:51 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Could you define 'cheese'? I've never tried BG2 and so the reference to cheese goes right over my head (sorry, but I'm still stuck in the 70's for slang *grin*)

You use Cheese when you exploit a Weakness of the Game-Engine.

I.E. The evil Overlord want's to have a Chat before the Fight. He has a blue Circle at first. He chooses your first party Member, want's to go to him and initiate Diaglogue. You run away with this Party-Member and attack him with all others, while your enemy, still blue-coloured, still tries to talk to the first Party-Member, he gets killed by the others. Another, not so blatantly "wrong" Example: Deathstrike is a Ability that High-Level-Fighers can use to kill a weak or moderate (IIRC even normal Vampires and Mind-Flayers) Monster with one Attack. You have one such a Attack per Day and in TOB are dozens such enemies. Now you use the Ability with an Arrow of Detonation on a room full of Mid-Level Critters ...
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:11 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Konny666, I have never heard of "The Eternal Dagger." Does it play at all on windows xp?

LOL, i doubt it.. this game is from 1987. the copy i have isn't even for IBM, its for Atari 8-bit computers. man, i think even my clock radio now is 128-bit...

oh and it really did not have any story to speak of. that game was all about the tactical combat.

BTW I was like 9 years old when i played that, hehe...

quote:

Have you ever played the Realms of Arkania Trilogy or Darklands?

yes, i think i at least had a look at them... but both so very long ago and before my 5-year RPG boycott so i cant really remember them. i think realms of arkania used the Eye of the Beholder engine and had Captain Picard (hehe) while Darklands took place in Germany and had very detailed character creation process?
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:11 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@ konny666:

You are right with Darklands, but the Realms of Arkania-Series were one of the Attic-Masterpieces. They were based on the german RPG "The Dark Eye" and had their own Engine. In Towns there was 3D-View (in Part one it looked a lot like Bard's Tale, in Part 2 and 3 they had real 3D-Graphics), in Combat it changed to isometric Perspective. Combat was turn-based, you got 6 Charas and one NPC. One of the best Point was travelling (on a overland Map). You had to send your Charas to hunt and to find Water, there was a risk that your Charas could get ill i.e. in Swamps or if you hadn't Cloaks in Winter, it had a great Alchemy-System with a lot of different Herbs, so you could brew Healing- or Manapotions or different Poisons and Elixirs and it hat the best Skill-System ever!

They are still my favourite Game-Series. IIRC they were distributed by Sir Tech in America.
The only Picard I remember was Picard the Ancient in Might & Magic 4+5, but they could have changed the names in the english Version.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:42 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Captain Piccard was the king in the game called lord of the realms or something like that. It was very much like eye of the beholder.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:28 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Yes, Darklands took place in Germany in the middle ages (dark ages?). It had a very, very involved rules set and was a blast to play. I never did finish the main quest though.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:38 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

D'oh! It was Lands of Lore that had Captain Picard doing the voice-overs (geek alert! Star Trek reference!).

Dunno why I would confuse that with Realms of Arkania...

Yeah, it was developed by Westwood studios (same as Eye of Beholder), before they created the RTS genre with Dune 2 and "hit it big" with Command & Conquer...
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:13 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, lands of lore was it. I remember that game liked to throw 500 enemies at you at once.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:19 pm
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don't know but the story of Throne of Bhaal remembered me an awful lot of the movie Highlander. Basically all you're doing is killing your bhaalspawn siblings until you're the only one left. I was almost expecting a dialogue choice going like 'There can only be one(overpowered munchkin that is)'. Hmm, maybe there even was...

Anyway TOB in a brief summary: Fight; Ugrade extremely powerful items to make them even more powerful; Fight; Stuff dozens of extremely powerful items that can be upgraded to make them even more powerful into your bags of holding; Fight; Kill; Splatter; Ph33r m3; Do you want to proceed and now become officially a god [y/n]? End.

I would have loved an alternate ending where you open up a store next to the Adventure Mart with all that excessive loot.
Post Sun May 30, 2004 1:42 am
jcompton
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, TOB was a pretty significant disappointment on a number of levels. We have an acronym to explain the phenomenon and everything. On the other hand, its shortcomings make adding mods to it rather rewarding, simply because it needs so much help.
Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:25 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I played both BG1 & BG2 (with expansions) about three times, same with PS:T, and Fallout 1&2. I willing to rate them all as very good, with PS:T especially and Fallout as excellent. But they did have some problems and room for improvements since nothing is perfect.

BG1 & BG2 or one of them could be just a pieces of cow dung for certain peoples, and i'm not surprise, since we also have peoples dislike Fallout series (on interplay forums). But the majority of online opinions i read so far on BG series were favorable. I heard even after 2-3 years the series released, the sales is still on going and popular.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:16 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3