Robin Hobb
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Robin Hobb

well, I have a new favorite writer, named Robin Hobb. her real name is Megan Lindholm, but when she started writing fatasy books, she called herself Robin Hobb(it). I read three books written by her, called: Assasin's apprentice, Royal Assasin and Assasin's Quest. the last part just overwhelmed me. escpecially the ending, just fabulous.
anybody read other books from her? or these? tell me what you think of her.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:20 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

I've read the Farseer Trilogy, i.e. the three Assassin books you mentioned, as well as the Liveship Traders Trilogy. The latter plays in the same universe at about the same time or a bit later, at the coast far to the south of the Six Duchies, and it is an equally intriguing read.

... on browsing her website I just noticed that there's even a third trilogy called The Tawny Man, which plays several years after the first arch. Methinks, I should like to check it out.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:40 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

yes, I saw them in the book store.
one question: I only read the farseer trilogy, but is Fitz mentioned in the other books as well?
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:21 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Not in the second trilogy. The Liveship Traders don't know much about what happened in the north, yet, so to speak. It focuses on totally different protagonists. The third trilogy, however, apparently continues the story of Fitz fifteen years later and also includes the Traders.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:54 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I see, and another question: do you think I will have to read the Liveship Traders before reading the Tawny Man trilogy?
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:27 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Given that they seem to follow a chronological order, I'd say yes.

As I said I haven't read the last trilogy myself yet, but I can imagine the second trilogy would provide lots of background information that may or may not be necessary to understand the last one - the traders do play a role in it after all. At the very least it would probably add more flavor, like when you play Gothic 2 after Gothic, as it's supposed to be.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:50 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I played GII first
but about the books... although I would love to read about Fitz again, I think i'll just follow the right order. but first, I will ask at the Robin Hobb newsgroup if it's needed to read the Liveship traders first, because she made all books.
another thing: on the back of the first book from the tawny man trilogy, it sais: conitnues right after the farseer trilogy. (well, 10 years later). so that makes it all quite complicated.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:42 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

No, you don't have to read the Liveship Trader trilogy to appreciate the Tawny Man trilogy. This is because although both series are set within the same "world", the focus is on different characters. Fitz makes a return to the center-stage in Tawny Man.

Personally I would still recommend reading them all in order .....more for a sense of proper timeline. I loved the first trilogy the best but felt the ending was somewhat protracted and confused. Fisrt book was the best in matter of fact.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:33 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

quite strange, I liked the first book of the Farseer trilogy least... the third book was just fantastic. the ending was very good also. but I still don't get if "the boy" is his son or not...
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:41 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I think I enjoyed the first book the most simply because it looked through the eyes of Fitz, and from his perspective as a child. His environment was alien to him .....and thus also to the reader. It was exciting learning the boundaries of his new world as he saw it.

The second book I still enjoyed because it explored the politics of the Duchies and established rivalries.

The ending of the third book just dragged on for me. I just got sick fed up of that quarry , and all that chiselling Not enough action or intrigue. Too predictable for me.

As to your question regards "the boy". Technically it is his child isn't it ? ( forgive me if I'm wrong ...haven't read these books for awhile ). The Prince took "control" of Fitz's body in the quarry camp, as a tool to impregnate Kettricken and provide her with the child she so badly wanted . Biologically then ..it's Fitz's. But, with Fitz being of true Farseer descent himself ....the Royal line was preserved.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:22 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

no, no... I don't mean that boy. I mean the boy living with him in his hut.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:38 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In that case .... no
Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:06 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

well, since I don't have a lot of money (I have the strange habit of spending all my money right after I received it ) I went to the bookstore, and lucky me! they lowered the price on the whole Liveship Traders trilogy, so I bought part one. and I must say, I am impressed with every page I have read now (I'm on page 36, so that's really difficult). the only thing I liked more about the Farseer trilogy. was that it was written in the I-form.
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:31 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Allright. Let me tell you... I read the Farseer trilogy and loved it. But despite that, I'm afraid that the Tawny Man trilogy is even better.

Yes, the first book picks up a bit slow, but the second and third one are just brilliant. Plain brilliant. Lovely how all those pieces of the puzzle start to fall together. In my opinion, you'd be missing out though not reading the Farseer books before you read Tawny Man. It *does* add flavor.

I absolutely enjoyed Robin Hobb's books. Didn't read the Live Ships books yet, though. Are they as good?
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:48 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I finished the tawny man trilogy ...
they were absolutely the best books out there, trust me. everybody should read em.

it would be wise to read the Liveship traders, yes, since it gives you very much information about the tawny man trilogy. I think you were like "what tha?" when you heard there was a dragon in a town called Bingtown, and Fitz comes to an Island with The Abominations... and who is Selden, the boy connected to the dragon? and who is the new personage of the fool, which causes the fight between Fitz and the Fool? you must read that in the Liveship traders
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next