Members
Usergroups
Drakensang Movie
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Drakensang Movie

Gamestar offers a 10MB movie for Realms of Arkania - Drakensang <a href="http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/e3/2006/publisher/index.php?publisher=dtp" target="_blank">here</a>. They say it is free for registeres subscribers, however it does work for me without subscription!
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:55 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Looks nice, though I'm still a it worried about the combat. It looks extremely Diablo-esque from that video, though I guess/hope they just didn't want to use any pause facility for aestetic reasons.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:57 pm
ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Very dissapointed with the combat, it looks messy. They should have stuck with turnbased... it would have been so much better.

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Fri May 12, 2006 1:32 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Guys, why do you think the editor said almost everything in the video is temporary, including combat, characters, grass and shadows?
Post Fri May 12, 2006 3:23 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Guys, why do you think the editor said almost everything in the video is temporary, including combat, characters, grass and shadows?

Yeah, I meant to say that I couldn't understand what the commentator was saying (it's been 13 years since I last spoke German!), and hoped it would be along those lines. It would be strange to showcase an engine with realtime combat if that's not the way it's going to be in the final game though?
Post Fri May 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Roi Danton
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The editor said that the game would have Baldur's Gate like real-time combat with a pause function.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 5:12 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Roi Danton
The editor said that the game would have Baldur's Gate like real-time combat with a pause function.

Hmmm, not ideal, but certainly bearable if the rest of the game is up to scratch. Thanks for the info!
Post Sat May 13, 2006 1:26 am
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

it's definitely a disapointment, the combat seems to be more like a Dungeon Siege/diablo thing.
i don't care about how the graphic is gorgeous,
no matter what the guy say, we can say bye bye to turn-based combat...and all the depth.

seems like the "make this thing mainstream and i'll publish it" has happened again..
Post Sat May 13, 2006 9:41 am
nSCOURGE

First off, english version?

If no, then quit jerking me.

If yes, then I am positively elated!

Finally, something worthy of anticipation post-Oblivion.

I actually have some very fond memories of playing 'Shadows over Riva' in the summer of '97, as well as 'Star Trail' a year earlier(my original disks went bad sometime in early '95, and more than a year had elapsed before I finally resolved to procure the CD version) - Yes, I'm Old School.

But they had best divest random chance from it's sovereign influence in mediating DSA's convoluted advancement scheme - as many will attest, an instance of bad fortune in character advancement could seriously gimp your characters beyond redemption!

Perhaps this is not a valid criticism of the P&P rules, but with it's software renditions one could have very easily found themselves devoting more time to the tedious advancement sequence(ad-nauseum) than any other facet of the game - revisting them over and over again in an interminable excercise to circumvent the aforementioned gimping(and munchkins could probably spend a lifetime in there) - but this is not to say I want it dumbed down either!

And while I'm on the topic of advancement, don't bother cluttering up the game with superflous skills this time either(that will help expidite matters somewhat).

A game that enlists a wider variety of adversaries(and thus, tactics - magic's primary combat utility in the earlier games seemed relegated to blinding - or otherwise incapacitating - your oponents from what I recall, lol), would be nice as well.

BTW, it shouldn't constitute much effort to adapt the DSA - or at least ROA - mechanics to a real-time format(allowing for a pause function), without sacrificing much depth.

Star Trail also featured some of the most outstanding midi compositions ever, so it would be nice if they could bring back Guido just for his composition if nothing else.

But the very best thing about the earlier games(IMO), was the sense of a starkly evocative fantasy world which they were able to convey through the artful craft of their chosen medium.

Hopefully this is a quality which is recaptured in the much belated reprisal of the series.

And could someone please tell me WTF is up with the dinosaur!?

I mean, I realize that Gothic 3 is gonna have them, but come on people.

Dragons good, dinosaurs... silly(translate to German).
Post Sat May 13, 2006 1:54 pm