Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
German Addon just arrived in my mail (in the USA)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

German Addon just arrived in my mail (in the USA)

In a strange turn of events, I actually received the German Addon today
via Registered Mail in the USA.

It came directly from softunity.com, who is an online-commerce partner with Koch Media (the distributor).

It was suprising because I had received mail from them stating that they did not ship the USA. Either someone was misinformed, or their shipping policy is "flexible".

Here's what happened:

1 About 2 weeks ago, I went to the softunity.com website (directed there from kochmedia.de) and ordered the addon. I used babelfish to translate all the forms needed to get in their customer database and place an order. I used my VISA card for the purchase.

2 I got the usual confirmations in the mail (in German) and waited. The next day I saw that kochmedia.de had placed a temporary charge on my VISA. So far, so good.

3. After a few days, i went back to the site to check my order status and the status was "Error". I figured this must be related to the USA shipping thing, so I mailed them a query to confirm this.

4. A representative wrote back: "Unfortunately, we do not ship the USA".

5. At this point, I figured it was a done deal and decided to just wait and see what Atari UK or Jowood would do.

6. Then, received a mail saying that my order had "shipped". I was like, "What?". I went to the website and indeed the status had changed to shipped.
I figured it was just a database error or some glitch.

7. Today I realize it was not a glitch. Picked up a registered mail package from the post office today and am now holding the German Addon in my hand!

Now, the only thing I regret is that I only ordered the AddOn. Not the Gold Edition. I did this because I thought we would not need the German G2 for the translation patch. The latest reports say that this may not be the case, but hopefully there will be a way to obtain the German version of the executable without having to get the whole game.

So, the point of this post is to tell people in the USA that are interested in getting the German Addon or Gold Edition to order from softunity.com.

Go to their site, put "Gothic 2" in the search form and continue from there.

Use babelfish.altavista.com to translate their web forms if needed. You *will* need a credit card, however.
Post Fri May 14, 2004 6:59 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Elston, I did also order from OkaySoft.de and they did the same exact same; except they NEVER did ship the game. They told me they do not ship outside to the USA. and that was the sorry end to it.

My VISA credit card's pending charge was removed. and It was NOT shipped. I had to use another vender such as from the PB link official site rollen-spiel.de

I think you got lucky. They released it by mistake; then slam the door shut. They will not ship to the USA. That has been my experience with them.

Is Okaysoft and SoftUnity the same comanpy?
Post Fri May 14, 2004 7:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No. Okaysoft is specialized in imports. They probably decided shipping to the US is not worth the effort. Softunity is Koch Media, the German G2 distributor / co-publisher. Maybe they have business partners in some territories and decided to stay out of their business.
Did Rollenspielshop.de ship the Gold edition?
Post Fri May 14, 2004 7:37 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes. Rollen-spiel.de did ship the game to me. They accept PayPal, VISA credit card, and a bank wire transfer.

I should receive it next week; and it will help with the translation effort to have the game to play with so I can see how the words are being used in context.

I guess it takes some time for the game to ship here. Around up to 14 days.

They also advertise a copy on Ebay.de which you can buy that will ship world wide also.

Sorry if I got Okaysoft confused with UnitySoft.de two different companies!
Post Fri May 14, 2004 8:07 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well at least there are some companys that send theyr products over the ocean
Post Sun May 16, 2004 12:43 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

It came directly from softunity.com, who is an online-commerce partner with Koch Media (the distributor).

I do not believe this. SoftUnity told me like Elkston, that they do not ship to USA and my credit card would not be charged.

So I bought another copy elswhere. Now I got charged the money and the game showed up in the mail today. They did not even e-mail me to tell me that it was shipped.

I wonder if I am stuck with this extra second copy? They really need to get thier shipping and information policy straight.

Do you think anyone wants a cheap copy of the full edition German Gothic 2 Gold Edition?

I was charged 41.73 USD. I think I will sell it for 40 USD even here in the USA with free shipping. Now that will save you money, since the post charge from Germany is rather high. And help to recoup most of my money back.

I will find out tomorrow what is up.[/b]
Post Mon May 24, 2004 4:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can open a new thread to sell the game.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 7:42 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
quote:

I do not believe this. SoftUnity told me like Elkston, that they do not ship to USA and my credit card would not be charged.

So I bought another copy elswhere. Now I got charged the money and the game showed up in the mail today. They did not even e-mail me to tell me that it was shipped.

I wonder if I am stuck with this extra second copy? They really need to get thier shipping and information policy straight.

Do you think anyone wants a cheap copy of the full edition German Gothic 2 Gold Edition?

I was charged 41.73 USD. I think I will sell it for 40 USD even here in the USA with free shipping. Now that will save you money, since the post charge from Germany is rather high. And help to recoup most of my money back.

I will find out tomorrow what is up.[/b]

ouch well now when the translation is done u can put it on ebay or something or sell it to somekind of Gothic series fan over here who lives nearby you
Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:32 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sell it to someone here first, since Ebay takes money. I guess who would want a German Gothic 2 Gold in USA?

But you know, I see people will buy anything on Ebay. I can tell them about the text patch and this website to check it out.

PayPal is a secure method of payment in use even in Germany. Most countries have it now. It is a safe cheap way to send and receive money. All you need is a bank account. Simple.

It would be funny to sell it back to someone in Germany! No taxes , VAX, all the other stuff,
Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:50 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'll buy it

Xerxes712,

Want to ship that extra copy of G2 Gold over to New York? I'm having a little trouble getting a copy across the water as well. Let me know if you want to get rid of it for $40. Send me a PM.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

some romanian dude wants to buy it also he just posted a post somewhere in this threads about it
Post Tue May 25, 2004 4:04 pm