What are you reading now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Black Sun Rising - C.S. Friedman
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:40 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I am the Atreides

I've read the first book Dune so many times I think I'm the Atreides. It was given to me by a friend in 6th grade who later comitted suicide. The book is still in very good shape. Read that book more times than any other I can count.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:38 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

"White and Other Tales of Ruin" - Tim Lebbon

Collection of stories that take place in the middle of an apocalypse. Whether it started out specifically nuclear, climatic, or biological isnt made clear, but its in full swing now and theyre all a factor because all hell is breaking loose. It is just referred to in the book as the Ruin. Cheery stuff

"White" is the first story, and takes place during a harsh winter among harsher new evolved creatures terrorizing trapped humans. The second, "From Bad Flesh" is about one afflicted with one of the uber-diseases ravaging mankind, on a quest thru the miserable, sickening landscape for some sort of witch doctor who is rumored to know something about how to fight it. Cheerier yet!

I just finished "Bad Flesh", and like it for the most part. Lebbon is no King, this is no apocalyptic "The Stand", but the writing isnt bad at all. This isnt Fallout, it's far more grim and dark. I suggest you dont pick it up if you are overly paranoid about all the "End Is Nigh" crowd issues. This is very vivid and gory, and theres alot of profanity at times so's might not want to give this as a gift to Aunt Trudy or anything.

Cheap book, i got a new paperback copy off Amazon for like 7 bucks
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:55 am
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Michael Connelly - The Concrete Blonde

and

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:30 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Musashi Miyamoto's* "Book Of Five Rings." Can't remember who did the translation, as I don't have it with me right now - which means I have to actually do my job to pass the time

(or is it Miyamoto Musashi?)
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:53 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

DMT The Spirit Molecule written Rick Strassman M.D. An interesting exposition on DEA approved studies of DMT between 90' and 95'. [DMT or dimethyltryptamine is one of the most powerful hallucinogenic substances known to man. It's found in many plants and animals over the world including inside the human body as believed to be produced from the pineal gland. It's been used as a shamanistic teacher and aid throughout many cultures for thousands of year. Most notably in South America, where it's cooked up in a brew called Ayahuasca which is ingested to visit Her - the mother goddess Gaia.]
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:14 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.

Have had my sincere doubts about Superstring Theory in the past, but now I'm becoming a believer! Good stuff!
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:33 am
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Baudolino from Umberto Eco
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:33 pm
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

June: Finished Terry Brooks "Word and Void" series. Then it was "Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch" by Hollis Gillespie. <An excellent book. Very funny and
at times quite touching. Next: "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner. Story of the two Johns. Very good, and my first book ABOUT gaming history. And lastly: "The Stone Wall" by Brad Smiley. A true story of a 17 year old fighting in the American Civil War.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:54 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Real property outline for the Massachusetts, USA bar exam.

"O to A, but if the land is used for RPG development, then to B." B has an executory interest (held by a third party)

What fun!
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:45 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Just about to finish reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. I really like his fluid style of writing. It's often very elegant and beautiful . Pages can just flutter by.

Next up I think is the Ender saga by Orson Scott Card, which I always planned to read but never seemed to get around to doing so.

I was hoping to start reading G.R.R Martin's next book in The Song of Ice and Fire series. But it still hasn't been released Hopefully it will by the time I've read Ender's Game etc .
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

After a long break I've recently picked up the first part in the Shannara series again and am about to finish it.
I've ordered the 2nd part "The Elvenstones of Shannara" today and will probably start reading it this weekend when I've finished part 1
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:38 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

A History of Religious Ideas, Vol. 1 by Mircea Eliade and Europe: A History by Norman Davies.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:15 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Davo
"O to A, but if the land is used for RPG development, then to B." B has an executory interest (held by a third party)

That sounds like a great read. Anyway... you should be studying, not reading about a three-party RPG!
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:01 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Almost done with High Druid of Shannara-Tanequil(Terry Brooks)

Next up, Snow Crash(Neal Stephenson)
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next