Someone Help Me Out Here...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Lords

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Someone Help Me Out Here...

So I played a few hours of this game the other night and got inside the first town. There I find tons of stuff not implemented. WTF? I can attack everyone and they say "Oh the nerve!" or something like that - but I got a lecture on going to jail? Then There is a Troll that I can't kill with a sword because it takes a 1000 hits (just like the one in the theater) but I can sit back and pepper him with arrows (just like the one in the theater).

So... I don't know. The spawning is annoying and the game is really linear so far. The combat melee system pretty nice, but the game is sort of boring?

I guess my question is... does it improve??? What is up with that troll? A game imbalance? Where is the music? Are all the towns this dead???
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:07 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

My advice is to turn random encounters to low setting in the options when running around town (& in overland areas), and back to normal when entering a dungeon. Also, I keep a stabler handy to put on the run butten as an autorun feature; a must have for this game.

The game is boring in towns and in overland areas, just as you have already noticed. Dungeons are fun though, and picking on trolls will be easier once you have bigger weapons and a good shield to block with.

Cities never get any better and the lack of features in the rooms and buildings are puzzling. And large creatures, like the troll, often get stuck moving around and become easy prey for missle weapons. This has to be a bug, when you free that troll in Fargrove it should throw you around town for sometime before you can bring it down. Instead it got stuck an a tent pole and I pelted it to death. Pathfinding could use some work.

I dont think the game improves at all, but I got it as a gift for Christmas so no money wasted there, and the dungeons are solid. As of yet, I have not heard any ingame music, just the tune it plays when you start the game. Skill building is interesting, but not knowing how getting classes worked, I pick up adept class without realizing it. I started as a thief, picked up adept, and now Valkyrie: I have no idea what I'm doing.

If you can fight your way to the dungeons, the game is worth a once through. It is just so imcomplete it will leave you wondering...wondering what happened to chairs and fire, wondering how they let a game out the door that, if finished, would have been a winner.
LB
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:32 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I don't know if I'm going to go back and play this thing or not. I was certain during development that they were making an American version of Gothic II but it would appear that they were shooting for some sort of arcade RPG combat game.

In Gothic II I felt like I was in a world - here I feel like I'm in a game - and not a particularly good one. How hard would it have been to add some ambient music? I'm at a loss. I think I'll just go buy Gothic II Gold so I can play the expansion. Oh well.

Oblivion is coming too.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:21 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I think a lot of time went into getting the Coop working, there has not been a First or Third persopn on the PC in years.
I guess they ran short on money, the world econmy has fallen alot in the last 4 years, it certianly has show itself in PC games in the last couple of years recorcd number of game being released incomplete, very sad.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:29 am