Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Need of help, to fill my list of Action-RPG!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Need of help, to fill my list of Action-RPG!

This genre seems to be quite rare, because there only seems to be the

1.Gothic series (Of course!)

2. The Rebel Planet: Chapter One: Orion http://rebelplanetcreations.com/content/view/12/29/

3. Heart of Eternity. http://en.udc-game.com/news

I could have included games such as The Guild 2, but from what I see the battle system seems to not be very "action" based. So even though I will buy the game when it comes out, it's not the kind of game I am looking for as a priority.

Asides from those 3 names, I haven't found other Action-RPG that looks interesting. Might anyone here, know a game in this genre that I haven't cited? If yes, please feel free correct that
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:00 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
This genre seems to be quite rare...

Quite the inverse, truth be told.
Dependant somewhat upon how you choose to interpret what defines an "action-rpg", said titles may very well be the most abundant in the world. Thus, if I may ask: how exactly do you define an action-rpg?
Awaiting your reply...

PostScript:
Please include further, more specific examples if you would. As is, I may very well reply that - judging by those you have listed - everything from Arx Fatalis, The Elder Scrolls series, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dungeon Siege I and II, Space Hack, Summoner, and a myriad of others are all "action-rpgs" (which, in their own ways, each is).
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:00 pm
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Unfortunally besides the one I listed, I was unable to find any other.

Maybe you could add the game Invasion: Recovering land to the list. But it doesn't look like this project is being taken care of seriously, that's why I didn't list it. There might be also... Phase: Exodus, but since there is NO info on how the game is going to be played...

The other games you listed are very different from the games I did list, Oblivion and Arx Fatalis are more like FP(s) Action-RPG, Summoner is closer to games like Etrom: The Astral Essence because you play with the mouse and the world is kind of small etc...

Maybe I should had said Gothic-Like instead of Action-RPG, that might cause some confusion...

quote:
Originally posted by booyah_boy
quote:
This genre seems to be quite rare...

Quite the inverse, truth be told.
Dependant somewhat upon how you choose to interpret what defines an "action-rpg", said titles may very well be the most abundant in the world. Thus, if I may ask: how exactly do you define an action-rpg?
Awaiting your reply...

PostScript:
Please include further, more specific examples if you would. As is, I may very well reply that - judging by those you have listed - everything from Arx Fatalis, The Elder Scrolls series, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dungeon Siege I and II, Space Hack, Summoner, and a myriad of others are all "action-rpgs" (which, in their own ways, each is).
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:40 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You could try Outcast. Check out

http://www.outcast-thegame.com/

for more info.

I'm not sure if you can get it from the original publisher anymore. If not, try the auction sites or (as a last resort), check around the web under abandonware.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:38 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Maybe I should had said Gothic-Like instead of Action-RPG, that might cause some confusion...

Gothic-like, aye? Very well.
You may wish to begin by purusing the following threads:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127736
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34837
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35482
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11768
You will find a variety of games listed in the abovenoted threads, however, if you would like something more closely matched to your desires, could you specify what exactly you wish to see mimiced from the Gothic series of games (non-linearity, combat, PC to NPC interaction, environment, etcetera)?
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:38 am
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by TheCleric
You could try Outcast. Check out

http://www.outcast-thegame.com/

for more info.

I'm not sure if you can get it from the original publisher anymore. If not, try the auction sites or (as a last resort), check around the web under abandonware.

I know Outcast, it's a french game. Was kinda popular back when it first came out. Never could play it, cause I had a crappy computer at that time. But now the graphics are just too ugly and the game just too old... Thanks for the suggestion though.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:05 am
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
quote:

Gothic-like, aye? Very well.
You may wish to begin by purusing the following threads:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127736
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34837
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35482
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11768
You will find a variety of games listed in the abovenoted threads, however, if you would like something more closely matched to your desires, could you specify what exactly you wish to see mimiced from the Gothic series of games (non-linearity, combat, PC to NPC interaction, environment, etcetera)?

Didn't read all, but didn't find anything. I'll find more stuff with your list though.
Well there some other Action-RPG's besides Gothic and stuff. For example Mistmare. But you use the mouse, so it's not very much like Gothic.

For a typical gothic-like there only seem to have 2-3 other games like that, not more. But for games that uses some element of it, there are more like Mistmare hum lol well let's say Arx Fatalis etc...

But I am looking for a typical gothic-like, there is the game Savage that looks like it, kinda. But it's a MMO...
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:25 am
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

All I do is stumble on this game, it's been at least 3 time I watch that trailer (Cause I don't remmber the name of the game, so I rewatch the trailer)

Do you think it's any good? You play it with the mouse, so I dunno.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:53 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
For example Mistmare. But you use the mouse, so it's not very much like Gothic.

Ugh...please do not mention Mistmare. I had some very horrid experiences with that game.

quote:
All I do is stumble on this game, it's been at least 3 time I watch that trailer (Cause I don't remmber the name of the game, so I rewatch the trailer). Do you think it's any good? You play it with the mouse, so I dunno.

Fallen Kingdoms? Last I heard the developer (Warthog) had cancelled production ere it was complete (sometime in 2005, I believe), although Gizmondo (the publisher) notes it as released. Where did you chance across the trailer?
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:33 pm
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Ugh...please do not mention Mistmare. I had some very horrid experiences with that game.

Oh, it's that bad is it? I purchased that game sometimes around late may. Tried it for like 2-3 minutes, but didn't feel like playing it since then...

Costed me 20 bucks used.

quote:
Fallen Kingdoms? Last I heard the developer (Warthog) had cancelled production ere it was complete (sometime in 2005, I believe), although Gizmondo (the publisher) notes it as released. Where did you chance across the trailer?

Haha, I just listed that game like that, I am just half-interested. Well it doesn't look like it was released, but you know like always some copies might be flying around...

Trailer is at, gametrailers.com, gamershell.com (i think?) etc...
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:26 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Oh, it's that bad is it? I purchased that game sometimes around late may. Tried it for like 2-3 minutes, but didn't feel like playing it since then...
Costed me 20 bucks used.

Ouch.
Let me give you a quick run-down on the faults of Mistmare...
1. The camera system is so twitchy, even approaching the border of a centerline (that is, slightly moving away from the center of the screen) will rotate the angle; this makes attempting to open chests on the bottom or side of the screen well-nigh impossible, as the camera (and your character) continue to turn, and turn, and turn...and, of course, the same thing applies to selecting dialogue options.
2. On that note - and the mention of dialogue making such a superb segue - the in-game text itself is so abundantly littered with typographical errors as to drive even the most novice linguist insane. Myself, I was able to count twelve within the first paragraph.
3. Bugs, and bugs which breed new bugs. If your game does not freeze, crash, or otherwise cause some sort of problem within the first half-hour (and every half-hour thereafter) you should take it as a sign that you are personally blessed by the gods, and go play the lotto.
4. No means of adjusting the gamma. In short, in a game so beridden with stark and drab pallettes (which, while fitting, tend to become dull) you will often find yourself squinting to view the field of action.
There are a myriad of further faults to expound upon (including the poor framerate, shoddy voice-acting, etcetera), however, I assume you get my point by now: just keep it on your shelf.

quote:
Haha, I just listed that game like that, I am just half-interested. Well it doesn't look like it was released, but you know like always some copies might be flying around...

Don't get me wrong, I was incredibly interested when first I heard of the title, however, that much having been said, I was led to believe - due to the news I have read - that the game was cancelled. I'll look into it some more, and drop you a line if I find anything pertinent.

quote:
Trailer is at, gametrailers.com, gamershell.com (i think?) etc...

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Ouch.
Let me give you a quick run-down on the faults of Mistmare...
1. The camera system is so twitchy, even approaching the border of a centerline (that is, slightly moving away from the center of the screen) will rotate the angle; this makes attempting to open chests on the bottom or side of the screen well-nigh impossible, as the camera (and your character) continue to turn, and turn, and turn...and, of course, the same thing applies to selecting dialogue options.
2. On that note - and the mention of dialogue making such a superb segue - the in-game text itself is so abundantly littered with typographical errors as to drive even the most novice linguist insane. Myself, I was able to count twelve within the first paragraph.
3. Bugs, and bugs which breed new bugs. If your game does not freeze, crash, or otherwise cause some sort of problem within the first half-hour (and every half-hour thereafter) you should take it as a sign that you are personally blessed by the gods, and go play the lotto.
4. No means of adjusting the gamma. In short, in a game so beridden with stark and drab pallettes (which, while fitting, tend to become dull) you will often find yourself squinting to view the field of action.
There are a myriad of further faults to expound upon (including the poor framerate, shoddy voice-acting, etcetera), however, I assume you get my point by now: just keep it on your shelf.

Yeah, I guess I'll follow your advice. Thanks for saving me a waste of time.

quote:
Don't get me wrong, I was incredibly interested when first I heard of the title, however, that much having been said, I was led to believe - due to the news I have read - that the game was cancelled. I'll look into it some more, and drop you a line if I find anything pertinent.

I dunno what to think about it myself, it's a game were you play with your mouse. The graphics are not ground breaking, but other then that it could be a fun game. Unfortunally, I don't have enough element to know if this game is interesting or not. Well if I found it for sell somewhere I'll definitly purchase it...

quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out.

No problem, let me know what you thought of it.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Yeah, I guess I'll follow your advice. Thanks for saving me a waste of time.

Don't mention it, just spreading the good word (or something like that).

quote:
No problem, let me know what you thought of it.

I watched the trailer at GameTrailers, and remain suitably intrigued. It looks - and my impression was - as though it would play something like Dungeon Siege 2; more action-centric than otherwise. Still, if you chance across anything about a definite release, do please drop me a line.
Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:14 am
Arngrim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
I watched the trailer at GameTrailers, and remain suitably intrigued. It looks - and my impression was - as though it would play something like Dungeon Siege 2; more action-centric than otherwise. Still, if you chance across anything about a definite release, do please drop me a line.

No it's not like Dungeon Siege 2, it's like those games you play with your mouse. Like World of Chaos for example or even Mistmare

From what I gathered so far. There is a chance that the game got released on Giz only, forget the Xbox version. But also, trying to get this game might be harder to get The Banished from Frontline Studios or games from 4AM Entertainment. For this game was officially not released.
Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:54 am