Usergroups
Gothic II Die Nacht des Raben English Translation Mod 1.0
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i think there is no need for the movie pack also just put those lines soemwhere in a readme file and that way ppl find out what did they talk in those videos
Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:35 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Talk about being fast: ordered the game last sunday and already this morning a package was delivered: Gothic 2 Gold Edition. I used a "check", not VISA or Paypal.

Strange that I couldn't install the German Gothic 2 so I installed like Whailor already discribed. Really funny to hear the change in voice when they go from German to English.
NFG member
Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:40 pm
SG81
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Heh, yeah. I've found it to be useful, though. After my third or fourth run through the original, I just started skipping past most of the dialogues. Now, if they start speaking German, I know I need to read because it's new
Post Thu May 27, 2004 6:29 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Sharing the videos over Torrent? This is not a good idea. If somebody uses torrent to DL the videos why shouldnīt he use torrent to DL the whole game?

This is going to far.
If that Xardas thing doesnīt work sufficiently enough put it into a text file. This can be printed out if necessary.

By saying that just because you are sharing the modified videos online through bittorrent that people will just download the game is bs. There are alot of legal stuff shared through bittorrent and that it is even used for commercial downloads of products.

Putting modified versions of ingame content in a mod is done in other games too. ex. The Morrowind modding forum won't allow illegal mods but does nothing about people who put in modified versions of game content. an example of this is smoother bodies which uses modified versions of the bodies that come with morrowind and is the only other body replacer besides better bodies.

You should ask PB before assuming that it is illegal to modify the videos and make them part of the mod.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 8:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Morrowind and all add-ons have been released world wide a long time ago. TNotR is only available in German so far, with an upcoming English release very likely.
Releasing the translated videos is no mod, itīs a copyright infringement if you donīt have the permission of the copyright holders.
Those who have a legal G2 (with or without the add-on) donīt need to download the videos. Theyīre only useful for people with an incomplete version of the game.

You should think about your target audience before you make such a proposal.

Doing something which could harm the Gothic franchise economically could lead to (a) no English G3 (rather unlikely) or (b) no G3 mod kit (far more likely).

Replacing textures, etc. is a good thing because it enhances the longevity of the game. I donīt think any dev who released a mod kit would have anything against it.
Since RPGDot is part of Jolt we have extended possibilities to offer downloads. In a few months our bandwidth will be -within reasonable boarders- unlimited. We could host texture packs, etc., even if theyīre 100 MB big.

btw., I think their was indeed a command to display subtitles during the movies. If so the people in the German modding communities should know it.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 10:32 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

so chopy chop to the german gothic mod devs to find out that command!
Post Thu May 27, 2004 1:25 pm
lemminkainen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Video Subtitles

To GORATH and GUENTHAR

If they could modify the videos with english subtitles or eventually with full english speech, the thing they can do is to realese a patch to original video files... a patch is a file that contains only the modified bytes and their offset in the original file...
So no copyright infringement and a smaller download too.
There are programs that use as input the old unmodified file and the new file with changes and output the patch file in a self-installing package.
This is a free tool for that purpose in Windows:
http://www.hanmen.com/products/pwf3info.php
In linux you should use "diff".
Hope to help, as always.

Lem
Post Thu May 27, 2004 2:03 pm
SG81
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

cothyso, how exactly did you translate the speech for the movie? Was the actual lines somewhere in a file, or did you listen and type it out?

If you didn't find the written text anywhere, there might not be an option to enable movie subtitles.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:11 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

lemminkainen:

That's a good idea that noone should have a problem with. Thank you for mentioning this and I think this is the way it should be done if cathyso can't activate movie subtitles.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:22 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Well, actually, Cothyso doesn't have to do anything, all this is volunteered stuff, remember? I am sure that if he wants to "crack that riddle" and see if he can do it, he'll check what can be done, but, he doesn't have to do, as such, anything The translation package created by the translation team is already an effort on it's own, worth merit
Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:04 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup or u can just put somewhere to a text file all this that they are talking in the intros
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:23 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I really don't understand what you're running after...

ATM, the things the narrator says in the addon's intro movie are all in game via Xardas' new dialog lines (right after the addon's movie end). There's really no need for anything else atm, as this is the best solution EXCEPTING activating game's OWN subtitles during the movie playbaks (which I assume can be done, otherwise the subtitles for them wouldn't be in).

Please do NOT post anything else regarding this matter EXCEPTING if you'll find out how to activate those subtitles during the movie plays in game.

Thank you!
Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:02 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hi!

I live in Romania and I want to buy the german Gold Edition of Gothic 2,but I don`t know which website would send it to Romania.Any ideas which website would send it here?
Thank you!
Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:37 am
JVieira
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very cool

Hey all, I discovered this thread by searching for info on the expansion pack, as I am a big Gothic fan and was waiting for it to be released before fully embarking into the game.

I am leaning heavily towards ordering the German expansion to do this. Great job by the way!

I do have what I think is a good suggestion regarding this though. I haven't seen anyone say it in this thread, but if it had already been suggested, forgive me.

One thing that sounds like it would be a bit disorenting or break the immersion a bit would be hearing the voices change from English, back to German, back to English, etc. Not to mention that I assume there are different voice actors for each, so it's gotta be a bit distracting.

Rather than do that, would it be possible in any way to disable the German audio completely, without disabling all voice?

In that way, the game would feel more like it was just not setup to have all the dialog in the game be spoken. As if the expansion pack just didn't have a "speech pack" so to speak. Using the 70%, 30% someone mentioned earlier, you'd hear English 70% of the time, but 30% of the time you'd hear nothing, and would just see the sub-titles.

On possible concern I saw with this was it was mentioned that the subtitles stay on the screen for as long as the voice file plays. So rather than remove them, could they be "blanked out" so it played silence for the same amount of time it would have played the voice?

I'm just wondering if this is possible, or easy, or a good idea worth investigating. I'm pretty much ready to order it, so I thought I'd ask in hopes maybe it was possible. I really think I would be more immersed if I just never even heard some of the dialog, rather than hearing it change.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:41 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

"Hey You!" If the English version never comes out, I though about make our own speech_add-on_VDS file to replace the German one. Then it would be 100% English.

Maybe PB could give us the speech files recorded in London back in Sept 2003. If not, I could try to get the English voice acting as close as possible using personal voice actors and my sound studio to change the pitch, speed, tempo, brilliance, effects, etc. To mimmick the original characters.

I would only do this at the very end if the add-on never does see the light of day. It would be about 400 Meg and would have to come on a disk. Better than nothing.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next