Usergroups
What are your opinions about a good time to start on seconda
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I was wondering, for instance with my monk, lord, and ninja, who are all lvl 12, I've concentrated to this point on perfecting their barehanded combat/critical strike, dual weapons/close combat/sword, and throwing/sling/critical strike, respectively to the characters. At what point in lvls/abilities should one start putting all the points into psionics or alchemy or divinity so that they can start using their spells?
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I didn't really put many points into those skills on that type of character. I usually just practiced these skills early in the game on whimpy monsters. Makes for a great back-up.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:37 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You will reach certain point in game, when these skills will be on max. (you can not put points there, you can only practice them). So then you can start to develop secondary skills.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:40 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

My advice is to develop skills that are the respective characters primary abilities, because when they are maxed out, they can give you new skills to develop, such as 'Power Cast' or 'Power Strike.'

I'm still not sure as to the mechanics of how this works in the game, but maybe someone else can explain this.

When I maxed out a certain weapon skill, I usually start developing Bow or Modern Weapon, but I haven't had a chance to get modern weapons yet to see if it's a good decision.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:04 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You don't really need modern weapons unless you have a gadgeteer. Or if you want to seriously hunt around for the modren weapons. Since you don't find any descent ones in the beginning I usually stuck with bows, crossbows, and slings.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:41 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It is really useful to max at least one primary ability as soon as it is possible (for fighter f. e. strenght) and then quickly develop its new special ability - f. e. for inteligence power cast.
But you can give in one skill only 3 points each level, so you can focus on more skills in one time.
Near the end I had 4 (out of my 6 character) with good healing ability. And it was useful. My ranger killed usually between 2 - 4 enemies when I encountered group of 10 enemies with cricical strikes (with bow), my fearie killed other 1 or 2 with critical strikes with melee weapons and in some places I spent in every room few minutes with picking up hidden things he spotted (high ranger skill).
When I met group of monsters with low magic resistance, I ussually killed them all in one round and before they could come near to me, no matter how many members this group had (spells asfixation, death wish + rangers critical strikes).
It was really fun to met groups of such monsters .
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:17 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If you don't want to develop the hybrid's (Lord, Ninja, Samurai, Valkyrie etc) magic abilities you only got weaker fighters to say the truth a little hard.
But putting a few points into the magic realms don't alone make them good enough with magic, you must use their spells in fights too, to develop them, so they really can get some effectfull magic in the end. Remember all characters with magic capabilities can be able to cast set/return portal (cover the world in no time), and at their 22th level they can even be able to cast the most powerfull spells in the game, it you have trained their skills high enough at that time!
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:59 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I noticed my Lord doesn't have an "air realm" ability under his spell list, does that mean he can't ever learn portal?
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:02 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The Lord has the Priest spellbook, meaning his main realm is Divine magic, but you should be able to put in some points in "Air" too. The Priest spellbook covers spells from all realms.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:32 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

A magic-less samurai still has critical strike, which scores instant kills every now and then. Which at least brings the balance up a bit.... I would say different fighters, but not weaker. Oh, not by much at least Do fighters ever get access to critical strike?
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:32 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Fighters are not good "critical strikers". My fighter didnt have this ability at all. My valkirie had it, but she was not strong in it.
My ranger and monk were very good in it.
It is very very useful ability, especially for "range" fighters.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:18 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

True enough, the fighter don't have the critical strike, which is a nice ability, but he levels up much faster than the hybrids, and can get access to at least 3 elite abilities (Needs at least 100 in basic abilities) before his 20th level, and start building them up way before the others, making him hit both more times and harder than the hybrids. The hybrids needs 3 high abilities from the beginning where at least one of them is piety or intelligens, which is useless for the pure fighter.The fighter only need 2 high abilities from the beginning both related to power and speed. Choosing the right race for the fighter gives you a lot of ekstra points to fill into the abilities, and bring them close to "elite status" almost from the beginning. The only way for the hybrids to make up for that, is to build up their magic abilities, or give them all the best weapons/armor.
But okay it's not vital in W8 that all characters are as strong as they can get to finish and win the game, you just have to use the right blend between magic and physical power!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-08 07:28 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 1:26 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Hmm, I thought only ninja's got ranged criticals? I haven't advanced my party much (still at level 8 *blush*) but the samurai is doing an instant kill every now and then. My fighter just got Iron Skin, and has already advanced it once through use. Would giving a fighter one level in Ninja/Monk/Samurai give him access to critical strike??

[ This Message was edited by: Maggot on 2002-03-08 07:48 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 1:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yes that would give him access to critical strike, but you can only increase it for only the length of time he is a hybrid fighter.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:17 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

My ranger in my first party was the king of instakills...with his demonsting or greenwood bow, he could almost always get one instant kill/battle. When I made the transition to blunderbuss, though, his numbers dropped way off...I just couldn't keep him in a fight b/c he was firing SO much, he would fall unconscious a LOT... that's why I gave him the modern weapon... lots of shots, but no stamina drain.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:39 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next