Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone played Atelier Iris for the PS2? Just came out.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Console RPGs General

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Anyone played Atelier Iris for the PS2? Just came out.

Some thoughts on the game. How's the music? How's the combat? How does it compare to FF7 as a whole?

Was wondering if anybody can move this post over to console rpg's. Sorry for misposting.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:07 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I picked it up, but haven't had a chance to play. I'm planning on putting in some play time this weekend. I'll check back and post an update after I get some time with the game.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:49 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Got it a few days ago. I still have the receipt and I can return it within 7 days to exchange it for another game. I have 3 days left. Anyhow, I'm at the part when you can start upgrading your weapons at your base with the anvil. I've heard talk that the beginning is slow and that it takes around 4 hours of gameplay for the game to even start becoming interesting. Well, I'm pretty sure I've played those 4 hours and my thoughts, unfortunately, aren't so positive. I can see how people who've played the "old-school" rpg's back in the SNES era may enjoy it, but I never did experienced that era. The things that I frowned upon were:

1. Lacked the "umph" when your characters would strike a monster. Didn't really feel like my character inflicted pain. Instead of a harsh rendering flesh sound, it was more of a sound that resembed a soft tissue being swung at the monster's face. Soundfx as a whole are kinda weak. However, the music is good, but it also has a hint of kindergarden in it.

2. Kinda childish. The diction and personality of some of the characters were a bit too elementary. For example, I recall hearing one of my character's yell "Weeeeeee" in excitement as my party had won the battle.

3. Magic spells shoot out with no sense of physics. It's like fireballs are simply
tossed on over to the enemy. Kinda sloppy.

4. Monsters themselves look really childish. Well, you'll see what I mean if you play it.

Aside from those flaws, there are plenty of things that you can do in this rpg that you can do in others. I'd rather not spoil this part because this is where and how the game becomes more interesting as you play out those 4 hours.

All in all, I think I'm gonna trade in my game for everquest 2 or world of warcraft.
Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 pm