Graphic Troubles / Menu Troubles
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
MajrMovies
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Graphic Troubles / Menu Troubles

Well, I've been reading the boards but never quite come across a problem such as mine.

I can get into the game fine, as long as I disable Direct3D, then once I am in the game, the menu is REDICULOUSLY slow. I click the down across, and 2 secs later it will go down.

So I figured it was a video problem, so I scroll, slowly but surely, to the options menu. Under graphics card it has nothing displayed, it is blank. So then I back up one menu, and under performance settings it says Custom.

So then I figure maybe this dumb game is trying to run itself off my motherboard videocard instead of my GeForce4. So I head over to NetBios and sure enough its disabled.

So here I am with a slow ass menu, no graphic card display, and direct3d disables, so I figure what-the-hell and I try and run the game. The opening scene, which is a movie, plays perfectly. But as soon as the game starts....

The game runs so slow that a character will say a line, and no joke, it will take the game 1 minute to refocus the camera and say another line.

My only hope at this point is that Gothic releases some kind of patch to fix this terrible problem, or I move on in my life to another game.

Then, to be frank, I am very disappointed, I played Gothic 1 and I thought it was one of the most original games, guild wise, that I had ever seen, and I was really hoping for more of that.

For all you tech people out there here are my computer stats:

Windows 98
Athlon 2 GHz Processor
GeForce 4 Ti 4200 /w the latest nvidia drivers
DirectX 9.0a
And I know there is no software conflicts because I just formatted my computer yesturday, in a vain attempt to get this game to work.

My last possible option is to try running this on my other computer that has windows XP...

Thanks for anyones time who read this...and feel free to ask for my dxdiag.txt if you think you can help.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:03 pm
MajrMovies
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Solution

After installing the game on my other computer with Windows XP the problem is solved. So if you have this problem, upgrade Windows.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:43 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

got same problem...got win xp, dx 9. But my game worked fine untill I tried "insert undeaddragon"(because he wasnt at his spot) and got Access Violation Error. now so freaking slow.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:17 pm