Differences?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Differences?

Can't believe no one has posted the differences between the uk and us version. Is there not anyone here who has purhcased the uk product as well as the US? Is there no site that discusses the two? If anyone has any info, please let me know. If there are changes such as voice overs, I would like to purchase the North American release before it's no longer available in my area.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:31 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I havent bought it but I can guarantee you that there are no new voiceovers. Most likely nothing has changed.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:01 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think they censored some things to let it get a rating so that kids can als buy it!!
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:13 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Pladio, it's rated 'M' in case that slipped you mind. The rating was basically bumped up from 'PG-13' to 'R' in the States.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:16 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

The only thing I've seen is that the journal entries for learning stuff is in English instead of German. A friend of mine has the UK version. I'll have to snatch it and play it to see if there are other differences.
Another difference, no nice DVD case and a manual that is very light on content. It's almost as bad as the original Gothic manual.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:07 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I made a fan patch to fix the german text entries for UK 1.31. THAT is the one I wrote!

It was rumored that certain bad voice acting was redone and the wearing two ring buglet was fixed. Optimized code to run faster, especially in town.

I assumed a patch was to be released for UK 1.31 to bring it up to par with 1.32.01 US version, and thus making my Mod patch a moot point, but I do not see any UK patch....

I still do not have a copy of US Gothic. The store (Wal-Mart) never got one yet. So much fun living in the middle of a giant corn field. Sloooowwww...downnn and watch the corn grow for funnnnnn...
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:36 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

Hmm, my character is wearing two rings. You mean he should only be able to wear one?
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:44 pm
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

those of us who bought it from the UK could only wear one when we first got it.
M? good thing i bought it when it was 12+

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:47 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The ring problem can be circumvented if you unequip everything.

I´m still waiting for somebody to compare both versions. I´d rather think PB did as few changes as necessary.

The speed improvements in town are in the add-on. Since there still is no patch for the UK version it sounds likely they´ll fix most issues with the add-on. The rebalancing and content change to at least v2.50 (if not 2.60) is unavoidable. Chances are most of the problems will be gone then.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:12 am
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
The speed improvements in town are in the add-on. Since there still is no patch for the UK version it sounds likely they´ll fix most issues with the add-on. The rebalancing and content change to at least v2.50 (if not 2.60) is unavoidable. Chances are most of the problems will be gone then.

Maybe, but if a patch for the UK version is not released to make it equivalent to the US version, there would have to be 2 separate english versions of the add-on released.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:49 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I would have to disagree that 'M' is equivalent to 'R.' I've seen 'M' rated games that would be rated PG-13 as movies (Ghost Recon).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

And I've seen 'M' rated games that would get slapped with an NC-17 rating if they were ever made movies (GTA3).
To keep things simple however, 'M' is generally equivalent to 'R'. 'T' is equivalent to 'PG-13'. And 'E' is equivalent to 'PG' or sometimes 'G'.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:39 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
I´m still waiting for somebody to compare both versions. I´d rather think PB did as few changes as necessary.

Well excuse me for having a life. :p
I've reached and explored the town in both versions. I'm not seeing any big differences. The US version seems a bit faster, but that might just be differences in the systems I'm using. My system's AMD is faster than my friend's Intel, but we have the same amount of RAM and similar graphic cards.

Like I said earlier, the only noticable difference is that they fixed the German in your journal so it's English now. I haven't noticed any changes in voices yet. But then, I haven't talked to everyone yet. We'll see.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:50 pm
wk
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have just installed the US version 1.32 and used marvin command to IMPORT HERO MAGE from UK version 1.31. It seems to work fine if anyone is interested. I had to copy it over to the new save folder.

I am confused about the inconsistent ratings. On the UK cover it says 12+ http://www.pegi.info
but on the US box MATURE 17+ http://www.esrb.org and the words:
Blood
Mature Sexual Themes
Use of Drugs
Violence

Also the rating differs from the original Gothic:
http://www.esrb.org/search_results.asp?key=gothic&type=game

In the instructions it says "to get the most out of your new game visit us at http://www.us.atari.com" but I can find no mention of Gothic.
"If you want to chat with other gamers as well as developers visit http://www.ataricommunity.com." There is no Gothic forum on there.

The CD-ROMs are now labelled Disk one, Disk two, Disk three. So that is one bug that they fixed. However, at the completion of the installation there was a tick box which said "play now" and I got an error message because I had not inserted the Disk one as noted in the instructions. I think it ought to have said "insert disk one".

The features listed on the box seem quite impressive to me:
- Hybrid role-playing gameplay combines action, puzzle-solving and adventure.
- Massive3D environments
- Three different character guilds - each with its own unique allies, enemies, and skills
- Upgradable weapons, skills, combo moves and magic spells
- Improved AI for over 400 NPCs, including spoken dialog and complex character reactions
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Rattlesnake
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

M is definitly R or NC-17. I mean, the definition of M is that it's intended for people 17+, the exact same definition of R and NC-17.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next