New to Wiz8
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Greetings all~

Some of you may recognize me from the Gothic forum. However, as I've recently finished the game (and there's nothing like the FIRST time through a game..), I was looking for another RPG type game to pick up. So, I ordered Wiz8. My copy should be here in a couple of days, and was wondering from some of you vets, what is a good starter party?

I did play the demo, and really enjoyed that party composition, but after reading a few forums, I think I need a lockpicker/thief to go with it. Also, how many spellcasters do you need? I really prefer melee style characters for the most part, but you need a healer or two in there as well. Just kind of curious what types of parties you guys have had luck with???

Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 7:48 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hi
You maybe know me from Gothic forum (also Nefarius picture is maybe something you know from there)... When I finished Gothic I started Wiz8 and it is really different but great game.

To your question, I am not really skilled Wiz8 player but I have my group on 15 - 17 level, so I have some expiriences.

This is my party:

Fighter (sword + shield specialization)

Valkirie (poleaxe specialization)

Mage (fire+water magics specialization - for atacking and freezing oponents)

Mage (divine magics specialization - nearly always just healing someone ).

Ranger (bow + critical attacks specialization - realy good for range combats and when I am fighting f. e. 8 oponents usually 1 or 2 of them kills "instantly" with 1 arrow (critical attack))

Fearie (I have no good use for she)

So you really need someone who will be good at healing and you really need fighter (or maybe it is possible to have no fighter and more attack_mages, but it will be very difficult).
You not neccessary need someone to lock pick (you can use items that will add this ability and that will halp you with most locks). Also you will be able to hire 2 more heroes and one of them will have good lockpicking ability.
It is certainly possible to have more fighters and no attacking mages but it will be difficult with such party.

Good luck... :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-27 14:16 ]
Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 8:11 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Hey Danicek~

Aye, I remember seeing your name on the gothic forums a bit..

Have you ever tried a gadgeteer? I've heard in some places that it's good to have one, because I believe they can create things.. put objects together in such a way to create new and better things. Also, don't they come with a ranged weapon much like a firearm? Though, I suppose I'd much rather stick with the swordplay and magic~

Also, if your faerie is not serving any 'real' purpose, what would you replace him with? What about ninjas? Can't they master the double swing (or something like that..can't remember what it's called..) where they get to attack twice per every one turn of the enemy?

The more I read about this game the more I can't wait to get my hands on my copy.. I did a tracking online and my package is only about 50 miles away at the delivery service hub..here's hoping they get it out to me tomorrow!!

Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:02 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'm using 2 fighters (1 Human and one Lizardman), 1 Lord (lizardman) one human priest, one Felpur rogue, and one Pixie mage.

This party is doing just fine, although I wish one of my fighters was of the Dracon race.

The felpur rogue has suprised me with it's fighting abilities, the dual weapon and lockpick skills are nice for this character.

You need a mage, but ask around because if you ask me, the Pixie is quite lame, but you never know it may be one of those deals where by the end of this long game, she'll be a powerhouse. Or maybe I'm just not playing this character right, we'll see.

My initial experience says that 'sword' is the most important fighter skill, dual wield is nice too. There just don't seem to be that many good axes or hammers, but I'm only about 20 hours into it.

You'll be using your priest a lot for healing, I wouldn't have a party without one. Healing potions are common, however. I found a nice mace for my priest, and he can do some good physical damage.

This is probably one of the most complicated CRPG's I've ever seen, its very difficult and stats oriented. The combat system is a little goofy at times, and there is a LOT of fighting. But its a nice looking game, at least I think so, and has an amazing manual, over 130 pages, just go with the prefab characters for just a bit and keep the manual by your side for reference, then start your own party in earnest when you figure this game out. It's a monster game, but it's not easy.

Oh and make sure to save before equipping unidentified items. There are lots of cursed items laying about in this game world.

But in any case, enjoy, if you like hardcore CRPG's you'll like this one a lot.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

Have you ever tried a gadgeteer? I've heard in some places that it's good to have one, because I believe they can create things.. put objects together in such a way to create new and better things. Also, don't they come with a ranged weapon much like a firearm? Though, I suppose I'd much rather stick with the swordplay and magic~

I never tried gadgeteer but I found many things that I can not use because only this chracter can use it.
But I do not really believe that it is good to have one in your party. (you can use modern weapon with every character, just put exp. points into this ability)

quote:

Also, if your faerie is not serving any 'real' purpose, what would you replace him with? What about ninjas? Can't they master the double swing (or something like that..can't remember what it's called..) where they get to attack twice per every one turn of the enemy?

If I did this replacing just with one purpose - make this game easier, I replace she with another good (dragon/lizard) fighter.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-28 01:27 ]
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:26 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I finished the game a month ago, and If I should start a second time around I would choose:
Dragon Fighter
Human Samurai
Farie Mage
Mook Ranger
Human??? Bishop
Human??? Psionic or Bard

and go out and hire the Monk and the Rogue in the game.
3 front row fighter is not a must, just very usefull.
Tried the Lord, but his magic is to week to be of any use later in the game, and his combat skills reduced according compared to the fighter or samurai.
The Gadgeteer never get very good at anything, but he/she is a kind of allround person. Pick locks, Shooting abilities, and gadgets (Magic).
The Bard starts out very medicore, and gets much better very very late in the game, IF you find the right music instruments for him/her.
The Bishop is better than the Priest, especially in the mid and end game, because he/she knows many spell books, and can get really powerfull in them all in the end game.
The Farie as a mage, gets a lot of mana points compared to other races, and her week fysics is no problem in the mid/end game, because she will get close to immune to magic.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:58 am

Anyone know where to find the lock pick that the walk through says will hold 6 tumblers open on the bank vault under the jail in Arnika?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:06 pm

Baraxe
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Bard rocks! This is one of the best damage dealing characters out there. A really high INT + DEX and high music skill deliver massive group damage with the piercing pipes. I can wipe out large groups with my female bard alone.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I never tried bard, probably I will do it with my next party or I will try to hire that only hireable bard in game (I could not this time because I had not good relations with Umpanis and he is Umpani).
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:21 pm
Baraxe
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You need a female bard. Playing instruments saps your endurance quickly and only a female can wear the endurance necklace. A male bard is at a major disadvantage without the necklace.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:28 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, so I will think about it and maybe I will create my own female bard for my next party

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-26 14:41 ]
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:41 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

What I used:
Human rogue - That backstabbing bonus saved my party more than once.
Dracon fighter - The point man. You can also change his class later on if you want.
Faerie mage - Excellent casting ability and makes a nice ninja later on.
Female Fellpur bard - For backing up your spellcasters and also good as a ranged fighter.
Halfling Gadgeteer - Just for fun, also a good ranged fighter. But if you don't want a gadgeteer try a Mook Ranger.
Dwarf Priest - Good backup fighter and great spellcaster.
These guys will carry you through.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:30 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

What I'm using currently is:

Dracon fighter(berserk is really useful)

Felpurr Samurai(gets critical sword hits)

Mook Gadgeteer

Gnome Alchemist(good healing/good attack magic)

Elf Bishop(a lot of different magic)

Faery Mage(the best damage magic)

Having only two front line fighters is no real handicap in my experience. I was considering exchanging the alchemist for a psionic, but decided to go for the alchemist.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:39 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Maggot: Very good team you got there.
Keep the Alchemist, his top spells later in the game is better than the psionic! And his potions give you some ekstra cash.
You can find very good frontfighters out in the game, so don't worry about that!
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:46 am