Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Are those liches in Poxsellis tomb invincible?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
GGLapkizzz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Are those liches in Poxsellis tomb invincible?

Hello, Am Shaegars

I can't find any weakness in these two undeads, may Akbaa tear their souls apart. Do they have such a resistance, that my incinerate/chaos/mana drain combo doesn't work? I know, i was stupid leaving Ylside' armor at home (it needed some dry cleaning ), but damn it, respawned ones were done in two casts of incinerate (I'm 48 casting, 14 mental). I'm coming into desperation!

Good luck to you, cause I have a poor use of it
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:38 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I used Fireball almost exclusively and had little trouble with them. Two fireballs into the first and he's down with a couple of hits. Then the 3rd fireball to soften up the 2nd. The Ylside armour will really help...
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:19 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I also used fireball, and timing. I managed to kill the first one before the second appeared. That gave me some time to re-charge. Then a little sword work finished him off. The demon by the meteor was much tougher, but keep a hand close to the 'H' key!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:14 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Liches (Spoiler!!??)

If you have the bow fo Inuit, it will save you. Hope you have a bow at all. But this would still work for other means of attack. Don't look if you don't want to cheat a little.

At the back of the room is a broken pillar. Manuver until you can stand on the broken part closest to the remaining part, and then keep jumping until you get up on top of the stump. From there the liches don't seem to be able to reach you and you can wack away with whatever method you like. I sat there with my bow and just shot them down, no health loss for me at all. Only problem is that the first one must be in the room before you jump up there or they don't enter. Several times I had to get down to get the second one to enter as well. They move slow enough you can make the jump, but save first. It is hard and you don't want to blow it when you kill one. Good luck.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:52 am
cherold
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

is this just impossible?

Alright, I'm totally unable to kill these liches. I'm willing to believe getting on that column would save me, but out of what must have been over a 100 attempts to jump on that thing I succeeded just twice, which means I would never manage it in time with a monster coming. And I only have one fireball scroll so I can't pelt the things with fireballs. And the chaos and incinerate spells don't do enough damage to even kill one of them before I run out of mana potions.

Furthermore, the trainer I downloaded doesn't work with ther version I have, same thing for the hex edit. So my general idea is that there is no way to proceed from this point, and since I haven't used anything but quick saves for a very long time I would have to go way way back in the game, which I don't want to do.

So I'm assuming I'm just out of luck, but I found another thread where someone was asking about cheating and one fellow replied with a judgemental tone that he *never* cheats and that people on this board could probably help him through the game without cheating, so I thought I would just ask if any of you have any idea how I can get out of this room alive?
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Room of Helmet

Have you saved just before opening the grave? if so just leave and come back with more fireballs. You should have the runes to cast fireballs yourself, so if not, this is good time to get some. You can do the Inuit Quest and get his Bow (hopefully) which (Spoiler) shots fireballs. As for the jumping, I know it's hard, but with a bow I did shot into the dark hall and end up getting one of the liches to enter the room while I was up there. It's a matter of where you stand when you jump as well as where the crosshair is when you jump. You can leave without opening the grave and then come back later to get it. I did that one time. As for jumping, just save right after you open the grave and then keep trying, you have time, as the first lich takes a few minutes to get there. I hope this helps, and hope you have a save game if not. You could post a thread and ask if someone else can send you a save from this point or near if you get too frustrated. Hope this helps a little.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:54 pm
cherold
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

alas, no save before opening the crypt. That's the whole problem. Ironically, earlier in the crypt I'd decided to leave and do something else, and I ran into a liche who killed me and I thought, maybe I'll just go down further and work up my stats and maybe find a new weapon before I tackle this guy, and now I'm only a little stronger and I've got to deal with two of them!
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:01 am
Ornedan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The way I got thru the two liches was to wear them down with three simultaneous harms while having a mana drain on to power those. After opening the tomb and getting the helmet I immediately put the spells up and then ran thru the side tunnel to one of the liches. Then it was just a matter of getting it stuck in a corner and healing every now and then. Repeat with the second lich
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:45 am
cherold
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ooh, I am far less knowledgeable of this game than you are, so your explanation reads like instructions for brain surgery. Well, my guess would be three simultaneous harms means storing up three damaging spells and blasting them right after each other, and that a mana drain will keep me powered up. I have one mana drain scroll although I actually couldn't figure out if it was doing anything useful or not. Once I've used up the three spells I've stored I would have to just start casting spells one at a time, unless there's some way I don't know about to cast three at once. And my impression is the mana drain doesn't last that long , and as I say I only have one, so I could only use this technique on one liche. Anyway I'll try doing what I think you're suggestion on one of them and if it works perhaps I could get on that broken pedestal, lure one in with an arrow, kill it from on high, get down off the pedestal and corner the second one. Worth a shot, right?
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:08 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Liches

Sounds like you made the same mistake I did the first time or two I played. I forgot to save before entering a new place. Pain in the ____!!!
Don't give up, and don't get yourself to frustrated. I found it wasn't so bad to back up and correct my mistakes and take new approaches before attacking the tough spots. Hope you're able to get out of there. By the way, you are putting the Helm on when you open the grave. It does afford you a little more protection. Also there was a good Shield on the ground when I got it open. Don't know if that was a bug or what, it wasn't there when I checked the room before opening the grave. Good Luck and be assured the end of the game is worth the agravation, at least it was to me.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:46 am
Ornedan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Harm and Mana Drain are continuous spells, maening they stay working untill you run out of mana or decide to end them by doubleclicking on their icon in the upper right corner. Sort of a temporary enchantment, if you will.

What I meant by casting three in a row is to draw the runes for the first spell, let the it start (no buffer) and immediately begin drawing the runes for the next spell.
The reason why I said 3 harms and a mana drain is that the game only let me have 4 continuous spells on at the same time. I dunno if the limit depends on the character, if it does just adjust the numbers to deal as much damage as you can.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:02 am
GGLapkizzz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: is this just impossible?

quote:
Originally posted by cherold
Alright, I'm totally unable to kill these liches. I'm willing to believe getting on that column would save me, but out of what must have been over a 100 attempts to jump on that thing I succeeded just twice, which means I would never manage it in time with a monster coming.

Well, it's not so impossible to get on top of that pillar, but there is another way. It hardly depends on luck, but I've managed to slip away from that goddamned room without any fight. I also had a problem killin' those damned undeads (see first post here), and at last (after standing on the pillar for fifteen minutes and drinking all of my mana potions for 10-15 huge fireballs) I found a way. The word of power "PASSWALL". I wasn't in a hurry, so I tried pillar for the last time, remembering I didn't use frost spells. Standing on top I found that lich (this time I saw only one of 'em) seemed to make a kind of vacation. Instead of running to me, casting damned CURSE and PARALYZE, he simply walked away and at last got stuck somewhere in second hall. I send him to hell (in my mind, of course ) and decided to check if I could go by those marks on the floor to the exit. Surprisingly, it worked! I was saved and maybe somewhen and somehow I will send those blind guardians to their homes in Oblivion.

As a resume, I consider their toughness was nothing more than some little nasty bug.

P.S. Nonetheless, the game is COOL! And... khhem... I like it even better than Morrowind
P.P.S. Thanks to cmckj50 for his kind help with pillar. It might work well and at last I became quite a good jumper (I managed to jump onto the 3 meter high wall in the mushroom forest level )
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:43 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Liches

Glad I could help someone, but I can't take all the credit. I read it here first. I had Inuit's bow after changing the chicken into the Lord. Very nice weapon for rest of game when you get it. Enjoy the rest of the game.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:56 am
damifino
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Although this may be apparent to most people, make sure you split off the liches (don't fight both at the same time)...and mana drain is your friend.

I used the invisibility spell to avoid triggering both liches at the same time...then went into the first lich's tomb, cast mana-drain, then attacked the first lich from behind (I went pretty deep into the first lich's tomb, so the second lich didn't see me).
Mana-drain allowed me to wear-down and kill the lich using conventional means (hint, try backing him up in a corner so he can't move). Second lich was about as easy.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 3:55 am