View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
XanderF
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What MMORPG for a merchant?

Any recommendations?

First RPG I bought is 'Morrowind' (I have, actually, been gaming for a LONG time - flight sims and shooters mostly - just never got into RPGs).

I like that your skills can only be improved by practicing them and/or by paying someone to teach you improvements. As opposed to, say, Neverwinter's skill system whereby you just magically improve in every skill by killing lots of things.

But, the BIG thing I'm looking for is really good player to player economy. You know, making items for sale to other players...maybe even running a store or something. And, of course, that being a functional part of the game - not just something you 'can do' but will prevent you from actually even becoming something in the world.

Anything out there like this? Or, anything coming?
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:23 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I think that the current best choice for you then would be Ultima Online. It still has by far the best skill system and you only raise in what you practise. It has outdated graphics though but it that does not matter then you would be in skill heaven I think.

Another one, Dark Age of Camelot. The main trade skill system works completely separate from the combat skill system. While combat skills raise by spending skillpoints earned per level the trade skills raise in use.

I can not say anything about the economy of these games currently since I do not play them anymore.

I have high expections for Asheron's Call 2 and its trade skills. Read official information about AC2s economy, which is completely built by the players themselves: http://zone.msn.com/asheronscall2/articles/articlescrafting.asp
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:15 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I would second the vote for UO if you are interested in trade skills that improve with use and are of some value to the game.

EQ trade skill implementation is virtually worthless and tedius at best to play.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:53 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

A trade system method of advancing sounds like lots of fun... I would love a MMORPG that would allow me to be a traveling merchant. I would like to buy low, sell high, be able to buy goods from adventurers. It would be great to be able to enchant items to increase their value, also. The only thing is that some idiot would kill and rob you. That's what happened when I played EG, this guy suggested we work together, then he killed me a couple of hours later.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:26 pm
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

As I already mentioned in another thread, supposedly EQ2 will have a non-confrontational Tradesman class, which sounds something like a merchant to me. I'm very excited about that and if it actually comes to pass, I'll be signing up. Also being able to own your own real estate is very cool, another supposed feature of EQ2. I just hope EQ2 doesn't follow the DAoC trend in having it mainly be PvP. I like having the dedicated PvP and non-PvP servers so I can choose whether or not I want to get involved in that kind of play.

That must have been a very frustrating experience for you, Gig. I would have been outraged. I'm just not a big fan of cut-throat MMORPGs at all.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:09 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would like to point out A Tale in the Desert again. Please refer to the other thread I posted for it.

There are no skills as such. Everybody can do everything as long as they learnt it from a school (tuition required) or university (society wide research needs to be completed). You raise in ranks by passing tests given out by the universities. Passing these tests doesn't really give you any special super powers or abilities (although some do come with extra perks).

The only potential downfall to the game is that it has no fighting in it what-so-ever. You cannot attack your fellow players. There are no monsters to be killed. No magic either.

It should be mentioned the game is still in beta. But the beta is open and all are welcome.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:56 pm