Members
Usergroups
with morrowind big isnt better
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
sbatch10

with morrowind big isnt better

I really can't play this game without feeling like the devs were more concerned about making a big game rather than a great game.i purchased this game thinking i was going to get a huge and fun rpg expierence.well i got huge anyway.

lets start with the quests i hear thiers 500 or so.i've read about how thier too fedex or just go kill someone or what ever.i dont have a problem with that.the problem is they dont draw me in.they don't make me care if i do the quest or not.hasbeis (thief guild chic whatever her name is)wants diamonds.who cares, go kill so and so because we dont like him he's not in our guild.HE'S NOT OH NO THEN SURELY HE MUST DIE.how about a quest like this. you walk into the thieves guild hasbeis is slumped over a dead body.it's her best friend assassinated by a competing guild you now have to track this person down.only a couple witnesses give you sketchy info leading you to another town where you find out the assassin is onto you and you could be next.now you've got to take him out before he gets you.maybe not the greatest quest but i only had a few minutes to think it up.this quest does 2 things to draw me in.first, we you see hasbeis slumped over her friend you can't help but feel bad.and then when you learn you're being hunted too well that ought to make you care about the quest.this is still essentally a go kill someone quest but now i care.

next, i was really excited about being evil.the ability to kill anyone i wanted would have been cool.while i can do just that save 1 person no one seems to care about that either.kill a guy and nothing he gone no one cares even the guards just walk past you unless you talk to them.then when you kill or steal from people it says your crime has been reported even though no one saw but you and the victim.when i talk to people the only thing that changes is they dont like me now unless i shovel money at them then all is forgivin.how about this you kill someone when know ones around and leave no witnesses. a few days pass and low and behold a missing persons poster is hanging in the local pub.you kill again this time someone sees and next thier is a wanted poster with your pictue on it in that town not other towns though they dont know about it (no 6 oclock news or anything).guards would notice you and actively pursue you.townsfolk could have a certain percent chance to notice and call for help.(not everyone would see the wanted poster.)if your stealing alot how about talk of a burgler in town.

then thiers the monsters for such a big game it would have been nice to have a bigger variety.this is getting way to long so i wont even get into the poor combat,skewd economics,ease of the game,the nonexistent interactive environments and crashes.

despite all this i play morrowind twice a week and like it but i think had they worried less about how big it is and more about how fun it is iwould be playing it every day and loving it.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:10 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Some good points. I always look for story and quality over quantity. I haven't played Morrowind yet. My poor old computer wouldn't be able to handle it.
But, with 500 quests is it really required to have a novel to go along with each one? I can see having some quality simplified stories to go along with side-quests. A bit of icing to make things more interesting. It is unrealistic to expect this with every quest though. 500 quests with a story to go with it? Nope, not going to happen. Otherwise you'd never stop playing this game.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:49 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Actually, I consider Morrowind as more of a book adventure. In all dull moments of a two week trip, I would read up on quests and the like. That is why I spew out information here.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:32 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If every quest was that detailed, there would be less than 100 due to the amount of scripting required. Some quests are great and have a nice backstory, some are courier quests. Frankly I think it would be a little unrealistic also to be running into mini-soap operas at every turn

They could have done a lot of thinks better
But they could have done a lot of things worse
They can't please everyone
So you just looked past the bad points and focus on the good ones.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:59 am
itburn

Those are guild quest, wich should be like that because they can't take more place in the game. The place for the compelling quests is for the main quest. Did you even try the main quest? Thats a kickass quest.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:52 am

Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I agree about the quests, I'm getting tired of running around to book stores looking for rare books etc.

I want a real quest like get the magic sword from some dude that is so bad he makes your skin crawl, and a magnitude of minions to fight through to get to him.

If anyone has played Summoner, you know what a good plot line is like, a real story moved along well by the information that you get from the npc's.
Lots of twists and surprises, and a lot of side quests that are more then just go find a book or a plant.

Mike
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:01 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hm. How far have you gotten into the game? Some of the quests are rather twisted, and sometimes they have other objectives than you are told about .

Part of the fun is not to get too involved in local politics - and this can be tricky.

If you have done a considerable part of the game, or if you have finished the main quest and plan on starting over, get the official guide. It lists all quests, from guild to those given by ordinary people. You will be astonished about what you were missing the first time around
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:09 pm
Jung

It's too bad the developers didn't spend more time making the game more fun to play and add more exciting content. Some will disagree making excuses about the size of the game, but I think the game is too big if content is not equally big and diverse. Big does not equal fun to me. Anyway, I think patches and plugins will fill the void eventually.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:38 pm

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I keep hearing about the "good" quests - the ones that aren't stupid, boring and trivial. You know, the ones with some sort of purpose, story, etc. (alluded to AGAIN in this thread). How about just mentioning one of them instead of vague alusions to them being there? I have played all the way through the main story (well, the only story really), the Fighter's guild, Thieve's guild, Mage's guild and Morag Tong and found none. Please tell me of just one quest that has some meat to it that is more than gopher, go kill or go get me something.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
I keep hearing about the "good" quests - the ones that aren't stupid, boring and trivial. You know, the ones with some sort of purpose, story, etc.

But Joey, I am not really far into to game and I finished some such quests. I do not know if they will be "good" also for you.
But for example today I finish some quest for Redorans. Quest about murder caused by cursed Ash Statue. There was story in it. And it was not only one.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:51 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I'd love to list some non-mundane quests... but wait... I already did that... I'd love to write a line or two on each... but wait... I already did that... I'd love to write a whole paragraph on all 48 that I made short notes about, but frankly I'm not going to do that- it is already in the Guide.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:27 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
But for example today I finish some quest for Redorans. Quest about murder caused by cursed Ash Statue. There was story in it. And it was not only one.

There was absolutely no closure to that quest. You get the statue, talk to someone, then POOF, it's all over and life returns to normal... Every quest is like that, or simply has nothing going for it from the very beginning.

There were a few quests where I actually had interest until I finished them and realized how futile it was for me to even bother.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:29 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i am solving the game quests in morrowind - some of them are interesting, some not, i don't care -> in between i am making my own quests:

like:

a new day - a new morning - what i am doing today ? mmh - let's make a cool enchanted orcish armor, what do i need ?

1.) an orc with armor (maybe a bad one in some ruins)
2.) some soul gems (let's go shopping or borrowing)
3.) some good souls (Grazelands are good for hunting)
3.) i need to learn some cool spells (maybe one of the Telvanni can teach them ?)

set your own goals and objectives, explore by levitating, explore under water, collecting some equipment for your stronghold, collecting souls, bribe a whole town to 100 attitude, rob a town blind, brew new potions, search hidden locations, .... -> make your own story.

there is only one thing i don't like and that is the much too easy combat (maybe because i have played Wizardry 8 on normal and expert level before Morrowind)
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:38 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Llama: So your looking for the quests to have a greater impact on your character personally? I'd assume they'd have reputation points or something like that to go along with quests. (Don't know for sure, since I've never played the game)
It'd be nice if NPCs would say something like: "Oh, you're the one who rescued that person?"
Then it'd be interesting for them to attack or praise you for the deed (like in Fallout 2). Does this exsist in the game?
I'm still at the, "should I upgrade to play this game or shouldn't I?" stage. Since I can't seem to make up my mind, I'm looking for something to tip the scales one way or the other.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:39 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is a fame rating in the game, and it goes up from time to time. The people have a different initial reaction to you like which is moot, because afterwards they return to their global answers to your questions.

The developers just spent all their time making the game look pretty rather than making the game rock solid. The size of the game does not justify the total lack of content.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next