Usergroups
What would you have liked to see?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Lord Rhoak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ahhh, so many great things about Gothic! But, with all great games, there are a 'few' disappointments. Not small glitches like pathing problems and quest bugs, but disappointments from within the game itself.

I was hoping that eventually I would be able to have a duel in the arena, an official duel.

Or perhaps go a bit more in-depth in the blacksmithing trade.

Or maybe not have such a linear story line, although they do it quite nicely where much of the beginning is by choice...

And how many times did I say to myself, "Damn I wish this was multiplayer" What fun you could have had if that were so.

What would you have liked to see in Gothic?
(I don't know if this was brought up before or not, just thought it would be something to think about)

Lord Rhoak

Open gates to darker lands
we spread our wings and fly away."
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:45 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Multiplayer????
How?? For what???
Even if you are able to realize it, what do you wanna do in the multiplayer? Fight against other players or what?
RPG is able to be a multiplayer game only in form of MMORPG, else not!

Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:01 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Well technically, Scatty *wants* to see you duel Kirgon and Kharim. You can actually invite those two to duel, you just cant place a bet on it (Night Duels are best, you get to see everyone gathered around the circle above you).

wow, dont even get me started on multiplayer I wrote to P-B, they said they simply didnt have the time to do it.

As for the trade skills, I love the way they show you:
*Working the Blacksmiths
*Cooking your own food
*Making your own potions
*Playing the Lute
*Smoking at the WaterPipe (LOL)
*Digging your own ore
so so much potential in all of those features that they could have worked into some kind of trademan character for a multi-play.

But there so much good stuff to see and do in Gothic, that it greatly outweighs the 'flaws'.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:04 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I love Gothic, but I would have wanted to see three separate storylines for each camp. For instance, maybe work to keep the barrier up for the Old Camp and wage a war against the New Camp, try to escape the barrier in the New Camp, or some other such plot in the Sect Camp. My biggest gripe with Gothic is that the first forty percent is all very nonlinear and free, but the second half of the game plays out the same way every time.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:21 pm
dunno
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I would of liked it if joining the camps actually MEANT something. The first time I played the game, it was awesome when I finally became a Shadow. But now I've beaten the game a few times and I realize that joining camps has absolutely no significance other than them supplying you with some new armor every once in a while. The people there don't really treat you differently or anything and the game plays out pretty much the exact same way regardless of who you side with. You hardly feel like you've just become a part of something.

I also think there should be more going on in the Gothic world. For example, I thought it was cool that those two Templars literally walked (instead of just teleporting) between the Sect Camp and the Old Mine. I'd like to see more stuff like this so, say, maybe you'd see traders traveling through the forest and stuff like that. That way, if you were role-playing a thief character, you could rob caravans passing through and stuff like that. Also, it would be cool if the NPCs could be thieves also and try to jump you in the forest. This would make joining camps a lot more significant because if you were jumped by the opposing camp, then if there happened to be a friendly traveler, they might help you out. You'd actually feel like you have allies in the camp. You also might come across NPCs from different camps fighting and you can choose to help them out. If anyone's played Fallout, you'd know where I'm getting that from.

Also, to add more 'life' to the Gothic world, since the New Camp and Old Camp are rivals, there should be an occasional troublemakers from the opposite camp. That way, when you're a guard, you'd actually FEEL like one and you'd have the job of deal with the troublemakers.

I'd also like to see some more balance between the skills so that it would be more viable to beat the game with any ONE combat skill. Because right now, bows and crossbows aren't even 1/5 as useful as melee weapons, making the possibility of a bows-only character not very desirable. What I'd like to see to help balance this is like in the game Thief, you do much more damage if you hit someone who was off guard. This would make sneaking and bows more useful because you can do assassination type kills. Say, if you manage to sneak successfully, then launch an arrow at someone's back, it would do a heck of a lot more damage than if they knew you were coming. Also, I hate the fact that when you shoot your bow, every damn creature in the vicinity is alerted to your presence, making silent kills impossible.

As for magic, I wish mana recharged in real-time instead of having to sleep. And some of the spells take too damn long to cast so the enemy will be right on top of you before you finish casting.

I also would of liked it if you could stick with Gomez. The game's openendedness is very, very limited it seems. Oh well, frankly I came across this game while waiting for Morrowind and someone mentioned it on their message boards. I know Morrowind will be much, much bigger and openended so I wasn't expecting too much from Gothic anyways.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:43 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree with Dunno and Wes.
I still think that for a first release it's a very impressive game and it takes some time to really get a team together.
So with Gothic 2 maybe everything is more evolved so it'll include those "missing" things.
Apart from their wishes...I'd want to be able to get more interaction with the girls than "sshhh you're not allowed to talk to us".
Eagerly awaiting Gothic2 and with Morrowind,Arx fatalis,Unreal 2,DNF and so on around the corner it doesn't matter if it takes quite some time before I see it.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:14 pm
Dog Of War
Village Leader
Village Leader

....and I would like better swampweed , orc-women , chainsaw and 4-barrel shotgun!
And I would like to get laid the girl who lives floor under me...I talk to her today...man , even in winter cloaths she looks HOT! I would like slowly undress her , then start rubbing her neeples ....the lick her feet till I reach the clit....until she become completely wet. And than I would grab her tight for her ass continuing licking her clit untill she stars screaming....
And then...........................................................................

Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:10 pm