Newbie advice needed.....which game to choose
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ra'dal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Newbie advice needed.....which game to choose

I am having a difficult time gathering info on all of the mmorpg. I read some are no good for soloing, some economies are dead, some are too easy, some are not newbie friendly, its very confusing. I would like to list some of the qualities I am looking for, and hope to get some friendly advice on what to jump into.
Here is a little info on me 1st: slight powergamer looking to make the leap into true rp, usually a tank that does not mind creative hack and slash dungeon crawling, never played a mmorpg, really loved arena, mm7, nwn, thought morrowind was way too easy to play(it was really impressive but I just never died)

Here is what I would like:
fantasy or medevil setting (no scifi)
would like to have a home (castle)
able to solo on quests whenever I wanted
would like to be able to join a guild
interested in group quests
basically looking for a fantasy/midevil setting I can grow in, develop skills, go on a bunch of quests, make money, and enjoy the company of other gamers in

Thanks for reading this long post and for any help you can offer.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:56 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

weird....the only group quests I've ever done were in Sci-Fi.....otherwise I really wouldn't know where you'd find group quests.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:31 am
Ra'dal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Guybrush........great name, thanks for the reply..

Loved Monkey Island! Would you mind telling me what mmorpg you have played? Maybe that way I could ask you a few questions abt each one and finally pick a mmorpg for myself.

Thanks
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:26 pm
dagoo7
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Rather than rewriting my comments with respect to DAOC, pls refer my post in response to ezorn33's topic "mmorpg for a relative newbie". The only thing i might want to add is that despite what some might say ive found DAOC both solo and group friendly. Depending on the class you choose (some are designed to be largely support classes and soloing is difficult for these), soloing is very possible.

My main character is about lvl 40 (50 max) and I've soloed probably more than 80% of that (exp wise). I also join groups alot and could do so more if i wanted. I actually often find groups more fun but sometimes less exp efficient, unless the group is really tight with a good plan, or your the lowest lvl in the group. However, soloing becomes more difficult as you get closer to 50 when you are often fighting mobs that are well over 50. But it seems like there are always high lvl raids that you can get in on.

DAOC is also very group friendly, the Gaheris server in particular. Since on this server you can group with characters from all three realms, greatly increasing the pool of people your lvl looking to group. For this same reason, guilds and alliances also tend to be larger and this faciliates grouping, and getting help.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:39 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by dagoo7
Rather than rewriting my comments with respect to DAOC, pls refer my post in response to ezorn33's topic "mmorpg for a relative newbie".

Just thought I'd put a link for the thread you mentionedhere . That might make it easier to find it even though it's not hidden very deep

I will add my voice to dagoo7's in saying that DAoC is probably the right choice. I would caution a little bit about soloing though. Soloing in DAoC is very much possible under a couple of conditions:
1)some classes are solo-friendly, some are very much NOT! - Know the classes before choosing!
2)Don't be greedy when soloing - some classes are reportedly capable of soloing yellow/orange mobs, but you never should take that for granted unless you are an experienced player. Stick to blue mobs, which means that soloing will never make you advance as fast as if you group. But when you need some time with yourself (and it will happen once in a while) DAoC can be solo-friendly to a certain degree.

DAoC is usually friendly to "newbies", although I'd suggest to be polite and friendly in the manner in which you go about asking question. As with any online game that has been on the market for over a year, most of the experienced players won't be friendly to rude newbies. They'll just cast you aside with little more than a friendly gesture. Don't beg for anything, for instance, as it's considered rude. Most players have earned what they got, and they won't have any respect for someone that thinks he can just drop in and get the best things for free just because he's a poor unfortunate new player...

Don't forget, this is a very social type of game, and everything you do has consequences, especially the way you interact with others
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:43 pm
Ra'dal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Got locked on my second post. The bitter shame. I have been leaning towards daoc, while maybe waiting for eq2 to come out. Thanks again, and I appreciate you telling me where you might be on daoc to look you up, I am probably going to start daoc this week. See you there.

Thanks again
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:41 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

An upcoming fantasy mmorpg is Horizons. Its worth a look at www.istaria.com.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:53 pm
greyskull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I remember hearing about Horizons a few years back. I dont remember much though. when is it coming out, and what kind of game is it going to be. thanks for the info
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:34 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

You'll be hearing a lot about Horizons in the next few weeks if you tune in on mmorpgdot. A lot I tell you!
But yes, Horizons has a nice concept, and I believe it's much more newbie-friendly now than it used to be (almost all PvP has been erased afaik).

As for a current newbie-friendly mmorpg, I would definately say AC2 or DAoC. I personally liked DAoC more. If I hadn't quit DAoC a few months ago you could look me up on Alb Lancelot or Mid Guinevere or Hib Merlin. :p
Oh and don't go to the PvP servers on DAoC if you're looking for a newbie-friendly enviroment. Maybe the most newbie-friendly would be the PvE-only server Gaheris, indeed.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:58 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Re: Newbie advice needed.....which game to choose

quote:
Originally posted by Ra'dal

basically looking for a fantasy/midevil setting I can grow in, develop skills, go on a bunch of quests, make money, and enjoy the company of other gamers in

One word... Gothic 1/2 (is that 2 words..?)
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:26 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Newbie advice needed.....which game to choose

quote:
Originally posted by Blake84
One word... Gothic 1/2 (is that 2 words..?)

How do the Gothic games qualify as MMORPGs? How could he enjoy the company of other gamers in them? heh!
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:11 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I would suggest giving Ultima online a try out.
It isn't as good as it use to be, but it's still the top mmorpg imo.

The graphics aren't something to write home about, seeing as how it's pretty old (well cept the 3d expansions now)

What made UO stand out is well, it has housing, like you said you wanted to be able to have a home.

It has TONS of homes to get, it's expensive though. You can have log cabins, cottages, castles, keeps, etc. Then you can decorate them with tons of things, etc.

Also Community! UO to me had the best community, people would joke around with each other in towns, go to each others houses and have parties, have player run events, tournaments, etc.

The guilds in it are great if you can find a good one. Playing UO i got into the most memorable guild i have ever got in, made some great friends that i still talk to regularly (even though none of us play uo anymore).

It doesn't focus on combat kill kill kill get better lewt repeat like other mmorpgs either.
You can be a crafter and have vendors on your shop. You can get a boat and go sailing, get a mount (horses, and other animals as mounts).
hunt treasure, etc.

Even the clothing is very social and lets you dress very customizable a way that you want. From dying clothing the colors you want and wearing things from bandanna's to skirts to cloaks and armor.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:58 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
An upcoming fantasy mmorpg is Horizons. Its worth a look at www.istaria.com.

So its not called as "Horizons" anymore lol? They sure gutted that game into pieces. Hope what is left of it will do better than SB or SWG. (in the launch atleast)

As for newcomers to mmogs i would suggest Ultima Online. One of my friends who had never played mmogs before (for online rpgs played only diablo), became a fan instantly after trying it. Even for an old game, it still has most of the content and most of the fun.

Last edited by Zakhal on Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:03 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

no, horizons is still called horizons.
However i feel shafted from it
I mean they already ax'd -

Angels /demons
Underwater race
Vampires
Giants
Those were the MAIN reasons i wanted hoizons, because it was going in a different direction with your races and stuff, but noooo.
now it's got the usual bs fantasy crap, dwarves, elves, junk, cept dragons.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:12 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

I heard a lot about ultima online, but what do you buy? Do you have to buy the original and all the expansions? Or does the most current EXP have all the older versions in it?

and i also heard that many people play on player-run servers, what's that all about?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next