Lands of Lore 3 I just found this game in a pile of games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Lands of Lore 3 I just found this game in a pile of games

...laying in a box in the box stacking place in my garage ... is this thing any good? Should I install this game and give it a play through while I wait for something new to come out or does it suck hard?
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:23 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

No... it doesn't suck hard. It was a good game IMO. Lands of Lore II was much better, also IMO.
Why don't you install it and see for yourself?

Ð
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:30 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's a fun game, just not to everybody's liking. I loved it (and I'm another one of the few Lands of Lore II lovers). Go ahead and play it and, like Drakton said, see for yourself if it's your thing.
If you played LoL I all those years back, you'll have a few deja vu experiences . Best thing - you finally can - and probably will - do some things you certainly wished you could have done in LoL I.

=EDIT= Even if you played C&C: Tiberium Sun, you'll meet an old acquaintance...
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:07 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I can't remember...but was Lands of Lore set up like the old Lucas Arts adventures? the interface that is....not the concepts.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:34 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hmmm... never played those LA adventures, but the 3 LoL games were in first person and IIRC the interfaces were quite different among them.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:04 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I LOVE Lands of Lore 2. I haven't played the third one, but I'm looking hard for a copy. If you can get your hands on the second one, its definitely worth playing, but don't expect it to be a hardcore RPG. It's more like an RPG-lite with a major focus on adventure, puzzle solving, atmosphere, and exploration. The storyline was very awesome!
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:24 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Acting was decent, too (but it was in all those Westwood game cutscenes Joe Kucan directed).
Nice to see another LoL 2 lover. Admitting to like the game usually determines dress code (as in, flameproof underwear) .
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:57 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

LOL@Flameproof underwear!

Yeah, I thought the game had quite a bit of artistic merit. The only game whose scenery reminds me even vaguely of LOL2 is American McGee's Alice. Btw, should I be looking for LOL3 if I liked the second one? I hear its vastly different, though I have yet to hear specifics. I simply like exploration and puzzle solving, along with a strong atmosphere and some character development skills such as the alchemy of LOL2 and the ability to use spells.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:36 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

LoL 3 is quite different... it's aimed more at the LoL 1 crowd. If you liked that, you'll find a lot of things you'll like about LoL 3, especially taking revenge on folks who got on your nerves in LoL 1. You're in charge of one main character just as in LoL 2 (meaning you don't have different folks to choose from), but the LoL 3 char is much more versatile in terms of character development. This means, however, that your abilities aren't tied into the plot like they were in LoL 2 . Playing as a jack-of-all-trades is a possibility but not a very satisfying experience, so here's my advice - stick to one class to maximize your fun.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:56 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

No other game place had left a deeper impression in me than LoL2's Dracoid Ruins. It´s been years since I played that game and I still remember that place every time I hear windchimes. Awesome and eerie.
This and the frozen area also.
I installed LoL2 a few months ago only to go to the DR again.

Last edited by Drakton on Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:57 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh the LoL 2 ruins and arena, yes... I remember those too... and I remember those nasty spider-thingies later on...

In LoL 3 your character is a half-dracoid kid.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:01 pm
Jumjalum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Liked the game, hated the characters and the plot wasnt great especially how it works out in the end. I like LOL2 a lot so I was disappointed with the change of atmosphere but its still enjoyable, I have it sitting on my shelf too. Going from playing a mutating beast-man to a stupid kid with an annoying voice was a bad move.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:49 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I'm really starting to think I should give LoL2 another whirl. All I can remember from the first time I played it was that I was somewhat disappointed (and, that I had a throwing axe that returned to me and a big flaming sword). Strange the things you remember.

I guess it wouldn't do any harm to try it out again. Although if I am disappointed again I will hold Jaz personally responsable
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:38 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
Although if I am disappointed again I will hold Jaz personally responsable

Hehe.. glad not me

I think you won't be dissapointed IF and only IF you are not one of those graphics-is-everything type of gamer. You'll find the graphics really dated. If you can go over this, just keep going till you get to the Dracoid ruins, my personal favorite place. Its not very far from the beginning so you won't have to play to the end of the game to find those. This place has athmosphere like no other place in a game, IMO.

Post your comments if you decide to go through the game.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:52 pm
Vash The Stampede
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh my god
During all these years the Dracoid Ruins have been the place I have enjoyed the most in any game, I mean until Arx Fatalis came out. That place was so dark , interesting and full of things to do and discover.
and about LoL3 it is a diffrent game, to me the only gripe was that all the worlds felt too disconencted among them, similar to what happened with Ultima Underwolrd 2. I prefer a big dungeon a explore it all.
Bye.-
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:13 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next