Question about the ending
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Question about the ending

I just finished Gothic for the first time, and I'm a bit confused about the ending.

Why did defeating the Sleeper cause the barrier to fall? If it was explained in the game, I must have missed it.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:25 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

When the mages created the barrier something went wrong and the barrier grew MUCH bigger than intended. The reason it grew so big was the influence of the sleeper.

The barrier was created to protect the magic ore, but evil wanted the ore also.....and the sleepers power expanded the barrier.

Now as to why the barrier collapsed when the sleeper was banished, i can only speculate. 1: His power was needed to maintain the massive barrier.....or 2: Since the barrier expanded beyond the focus stones, they were no longer effective at maintaining it. Plus we removed the focus stones from where they needed to be.....remember?

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:54 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'll go with the sleeper sustaining the barrier theroy, because if you remeber we had to charge the stones so they didn't have any power after casting the barrier, I did wonder why they'd left them around the island though
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:41 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
1: His power was needed to maintain the massive barrier.

And I add to that that the death of the sleeper made a huge gab in the dimensions of the word which caused an opening of another gate which sucked the whole barrier. Now we getting into Harry Poter lol
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:57 pm
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It really confused me because for most of the game, the main goal had been to destroy the barrier. Then the main goal somehow shifted to defeating the Sleeper with no real explanation why. I wasn't at all convinced that the hero was doing the right thing by trusting Xardas so completely and turning his back on the Water Mages.

Thanks for the clarification.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Arundor
It really confused me because for most of the game, the main goal had been to destroy the barrier. Then the main goal somehow shifted to defeating the Sleeper with no real explanation why. I wasn't at all convinced that the hero was doing the right thing by trusting Xardas so completely and turning his back on the Water Mages.

Thanks for the clarification.

Xardas was the only mage to figure out WHY the barrier had grown so large....so the goal never really changed from destroying the barrier to banishing the sleeper.........both are connected, and only Xardas had figured it out.

Xardas speaks a few lines saying the other magicians never stopped to consider why the barrier got so big, and that he had been working to find out what happened. He finally pieced it together and says the key to the barriers destruction is in the underground orc temple(sleeper's temple).

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:53 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The goal: Destroy the barrier.

How to destroy the barrier: banish the sleeper.

Simple.
Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:05 pm
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

True, but Xardas never actually tells you this. You can probably guess it, but I didn't think it made sense to betray the Water Mages based just on a guess.

Given a choice, I would never have stolen their ore's magic unless I got more information out of Xardas. Plus, Xardas didn't give any convincing evidence that he was right and the Water Mages were wrong.
Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:45 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

What you say is true Arundor, well spotted!

I'll PM you more info' - -
Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:46 pm