View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Mercenary or Militia?

I am NO magaician. LOL.

What are your opinions on Mercenary vs. Militia?

In Gothic you could be Old or New camp and still end up as New camp. I guess I would like to know what is more fun? I didn't like the sect or magicians in first game. I'm a fighter. Also, will I need two handed sword like we did in Gothic? I like to use one handed but if I HAVE to use a two handed to finish the game I will put points into that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Heh, I finally got a new computer to be able to handle the game well enough. It's a beauty! So, as I start playing Gothic 2 I hear about Gothic 3. *happiness*

*Temptress keeps fingers crossed that there will not be issues like we had with Gothic 2*

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:34 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Personally, I preferred G2's militia... I just couldn't stand the mercs and their attitude, but that's just me.
No, you don't need to touch a two-handed weapon, at least not if you choose the militia path. As a militiaman/paladin, I made my way through G2 with a one-handed sword, a crossbow and some quite useful runes.
As a merc you may want to use two-handed weapons. If you absolutely don't want to use magic, you're better off with the mercs I guess...
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:55 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Personally, I preferred G2's militia... I just couldn't stand the mercs and their attitude, but that's just me.

Don't listen to Jaz, The mercs are way better, and the dragonhunters' armor is very beautiful. It doesn't really matter what kind of weapon you choose (you can find amazing discussions about one- or two-handed). Just consider learning some magic you want to become ranged, because there are several creatures that are almost immune to arrows.
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:34 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

well I really loved the attitude of the mercs so I went for the mercs, now I am playing as a militia/paladin but is is so hard to try and stay the good guy
I might be so evil in life it self that i feel myself attracted to the mercs
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:40 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Difficultie's an issue too. Getting into the guards is easier, and toward the end of the game you're given a suit of paladin armor. With the mercs you have to challenge and beat a bunch of them so you have to be a higher level. Also you have to pay for the fancy armor at the end and it costs quite a bit.

Personally I prefer the mercs coz the duds are much nicer. The light dragon hunter's armor is especially dashing. But what I did is play a guard the first time and a merc the second. Like you, I have no interest in being a magician but some of those scrolls really help out early on.

I'm planning to upgrade my pc and I'd like to know what would run G2 really well, so could you tell me what rig you have?
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:18 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

If this is your first game, join the Militia. This will ultimately lead to becoming a Paladin, and they are by far the best class of Gothic 2. Some merc-fanatics might argue on this one, but its true:

They have ALL the possibilites the mercs have, but one GREAT advantage - magic as good as the magic even the greatest mage will ever wield. The healing spells alone are more than worth it.

If you have played through the game before, try mercenaries. You work for, and with, more people from the old game, so its a bit more fun really.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:09 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
If this is your first game, join the Militia. This will ultimately lead to becoming a Paladin, and they are by far the best class of Gothic 2. Some merc-fanatics might argue on this one

They aren't the best class because they are way overpowered and the game is already too easy (although the addon fixes some of this).
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:16 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fixes "some" of this? Give the add-on to someone who's never played the game, and you guarantee that he will never play it again either!

Seriously though, I like the challenge, but I wouldn't want the original game to be like this. The add-on is obviously for people who know a lot about the game, for instance where to distribute skillpoints in order not to waste any points. If you "experiment" on skilldistribution in the add-on, you'll lose.

And no, of cooooourse the Paladins aren't overpowered. At least not in the original game, noooo. At least they're fun to play though!
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:59 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Fixes "some" of this? Give the add-on to someone who's never played the game, and you guarantee that he will never play it again either!

Seriously though, I like the challenge, but I wouldn't want the original game to be like this. The add-on is obviously for people who know a lot about the game, for instance where to distribute skillpoints in order not to waste any points. If you "experiment" on skilldistribution in the add-on, you'll lose.

In every review and I believe even in the manual they say that you'd better play the original game first.
Luckily PB also recognises all this. On one hand you want it to be easy enough for newbies to play, and on the other hand you want those freaking hardcore gamers stay busy with your game ---> difficulty levels

But according to PB it isn't that easy, but of course they can't tell anything yet without explaining the new skill system and they don't want to spoil that, but I 've heard something about creatures becoming stronger when you're playing skills increases
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:52 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Game difficulty is a serious topic. The Gothics are definitely too hard for a casual gamer, while KotOR is no challenge at all for a hardcore gamer.
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:33 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

True, KotOR was never much of a challenge. At the end you're so powerful the final fight is very easy, but I still find that it has a rather high replayvalue(probably because it's the only great Star Wars game).

I heard the rumors about difficulty settings in G3, and even though I'd like to just jump right in "DEATH" difficulty, I think I'll try easy first. That's the good thing about a Gothic game, you KNOW that you are going to play it far more than once, so experimenting is something you can do already in your first game.

As Gorath says, the Gothics are too hard for the casual gamer, or rather, gamers without patience. It's not a Diablo-style-hack'n-slash which you can beat in your sleep even the first time
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:27 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
I heard the rumors about difficulty settings in G3, and even though I'd like to just jump right in "DEATH" difficulty, I think I'll try easy first. That's the good thing about a Gothic game, you KNOW that you are going to play it far more than once, so experimenting is something you can do already in your first game.

In some way I just don't like difficulty levels, I always take the easy-level and stay there, because I don't want to work for it and just want to play a little. Without difficulty levels I just keep on playing and dying, and when I finally finish the game I know that I really accomplished something
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:46 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I totally agree with Sem. Saving after the first orc you kill and almost every other orc afterwards until you are sure you can beat them with bushes and otherwhise die and reload is one of the great things of Gothic
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:59 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I never really thought about that. I don't think I've ever tried as hard to kill a single creature with as many reloads as Gothic. I never give up. In other games I just turn down the difficulty, and feel like I have accomplished.. nothing. Now that you mention it, maybe having a difficulty setting would be a bit of a problem.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:44 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

CMON PPL!!!!
We all like Gothic.
Try both!
I completed G2 6 times as a paladin, 4 times as a Dragon Hunter and only once as a mage.

To get to militia u dont even need to go out of the town and if you want to be a mercenary you'll have to kill about 3 ppl at least. so.... i would say the paladins are the easiest.
Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:42 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next