Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Please answer this question...about Gothic performance.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Allright, to start ..my pc specs

Amd Thunderbird 1ghz, 256 Mb ram ,Asus geforce2 pro 64MB DDR...the game does stutter at places inside the castle gate(demo)to be exact i don't have fully smooth moments in Gothic..i have occasional slowdowns..the framerate is 20fps when i stand completely still but as soon as i start to walk or look around the Framerate
drops to 12/15 and REALLY stutters as hell..
right now i got some money...would more RAM help me out? would it make the stuttering less worse? would 384 ram doe the job?
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:16 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

My personla experience is that RAM will help. Little to no stutter with 512 MB. What could also help is a defragmented hard disk, and a fast one .

Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:46 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have a Ultra DMA HD, i heard that it's one of the better ones..
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:26 pm
Alferd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Make sure, that your HD doesn't share the controller with a slower drive like a streamer-tape or a slower older HD. Than try to have min. 500 MB of permanently free diskspace and run defrag.
Enable DMA-Mode for this HD if it is disabled.

256 MB of ram is ok, 384 or 512 could be better and prizes for ram (in germany) are really low. So if your mainboard gives support for 512 mb, just buy it.
But a clean and fast harddisk is more important, I think.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2001 8:56 am

I play it on a 1000mhz t-bird, 256mb sdram, voodoo5 5500, on Windows 2000, 2x anti-aliasing, 800x600 32bit full/highest details and it runs like a dream.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2001 6:23 pm

Zonk
City Guard
City Guard

I played it before my update on a 700mhz t-bird, 512mb sdram, voodoo5 5500, on Windows 98, 2x anti-aliasing, 1156x864 32bit full/highest details and it runs like a dream too. But i think this was the limit for the voodoo5.

2 Points for your question:
be sure u dont have any Ram managment prog running.
And check with HD-Tach how much CPU power your DMA-Busmasterdriver eat. There r two drivers out for via boards one need ~5% and the other ~14%
Post Sat Sep 29, 2001 7:45 pm
AtomiCXeN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what resolution are you rinnning in bigkabuto? i have 1 ghz, 128mb ram, geforce 2 mx, and i play in 800x600 and it runs at about 30 frames per second. all details are on high.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2001 3:16 am
Frost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I get the same problems mate, runs at about 20-30 fps doesnt get as slow as you report but it jerks whenever i look around in the old camp

1ghz athlon
512 MB 133 RAM
Geforce 2 GTS 21.80
Sblive! 5.1
ASUS A7V KT133A BIOS 1005c

I reported this in an earlier thread, i think somebody said the demo is limit set at 20fps, you can apparently disable this in the .exe target, but im not sure if it really works or not.
Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:20 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I am running the demo with 256MB, PIII-933, Radeon 32MB DDR at 1024X768 32Bit all details maxxed out and it runs great. It only stutters when I first load my save game.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:16 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well..saturday i bought 256 more ram so i hav 512 in total now...well it's of course improved..but still some damn shitty stutters.. nope i ain't running any program when i play the demo. maybe the full game will run fine..
Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:33 pm

OMG I am sorry but this is ridiculous
You really think suc a beast cant handle Gothic?
just run 1024x768 instead of higher resolutions..
Gothic is huge, so don't expect 1600 to run smooth.
Get real! running programs is means alos having them in backround(icons right down corneer of your windows desktop, or when u press alt-ctrl-del).
Perhaps your windows is overloaded with stuff..
Or: are you running windows ME with recovery on?
That kind of stuff, cuz boy your system running gothic choppy isn't possible because of any of your specs...it is something else..

Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:26 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

You are talking to me??? well...i play this demo on 1024 all the time...and the settings

Texture detail on highest
model detail lowest(it only affects the background thing..no player models)
visual range is on 100%

framerate

when walking near the castle gate 18/20 fps
turning around makes it go to 17/19 i really don't know why this demo can't run silkysmooth..i have tried all kinds of stuff...and more advice would be greatly apreciated...but now one thing is for sure..it's not my RAM 512 seems MORE than enough to me..
Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 4:43 pm

I play Gothic on a Duron @ 750 MHz a Geforce 2 MX and 256 MB RAM at a Resolution of 1152x864x32 viewing range is 300% and Textures and Polygon details are ALL maxed.

I get around 20 FPS mostly. And that is enough for this game - it is very good playable.

This game isn't a First Person Shooter were you need 60 FPS to react and fire Bullets as fast as possible.
Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 7:20 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah that's what everybody says, that the demo runs perfect..but i don't experience that at all...it has still the regular stutters...while in games like Giants or Tribes2 everything is perfect..so i dunno anymore...i have tried soooooo many shit,..and didnt help...i'ma give up...nobody knows how this is possible, eh?
Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:40 pm

Perhaps you should email piranha bytes about it, they might know. You are porbably forgetting something...Maybe you got an ultra slow Hard drive?
Are you sure that when u press alt ctrl del you got only systray and explorer running..?
You dont have windows recovery on?
You didnt mess with virtual mem settings in windows? Not downloading while playing?
Not sharing connection with other comp?
Tried to change settings to loose the stutterings? visual range, etc..
because if that doesnt help, there is really something wrong..
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:54 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next