Usergroups
Will there be an english add-on?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

This site - RPGDot - is not connected to game developers or distributors, at least not directly. RPGDot is a privately owned network which provides news about CRPGs, and we also have forums for the games which are the most popular among the RPGDot visitors. We have several hosted sites addressing a certain game - like GothicDot for Gothic 1 and 2 - , but we are independent of the game companies. Of course, developers do visit the forums to talk about their games from time to time.

Most moderators were forums regulars once. The Administration asked them to moderate a certain forum.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:06 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Anyone can visit the JW boards either to post or gather information. I post there regularly, and some of their members post regularly here as well. Moderators from these boards and from others post on each others boards, as does some of the admin. In a sense, we gamers are a happy little supportive community who assist each other whenever and wherever we can. We are also fortunate here that this place is so highly respected that we do get visits from developers. That's why a certain standard is expected and demanded. Our moderators are among the best in the business. ( Please note, I'm just a regular member who supports this site and I have no official capacity here whatsoever.) ( This is not a paid political announcement!! )

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:16 am
CriplingDream
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Alright, so there will be an english version...

Next question now... When? Probably when it's done, but I rather hear something like: "next year", "next month", or if possible "next week".
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:42 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by CriplingDream
When?

I doubt anyone here, including the developers, will know this info unless there is an official announcement from JoWooD or Atari.

quote:
Originally posted by CriplingDream
if possible "next week".

Yup... it'll take a week to translate the game into English, both text and voice acting. BTW, why don't we set up a poll to see how people estimate the English release date? Never mind again.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:15 am
corwin

Close call there Kiwi, there's one sure way of upsetting the mods and that's suggesting release polls!!

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:45 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

German version will be released at 20th of august, that's already this week, wednesday. It is also written in official FAQ, that the add-on will be also released in english and in french. No dates, though, the time measurement unit mentioned is "later"

PB or JoWood itself do not do the translation. So far, it seems to be the job for Atari. How fast they will do it depends how fast they will get the gold copy, maybe (in any case, they should have it by now), the translation and then the work itself - voice acting, entering the text into the game, so on, so on.. It can take anywhere from few weeks to few months. I personally hope the first choice, as I want it bad myself too, but I do not outrule the chance of other, since these things just can take time.

Let's hope for the best, and for the fast english version release
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:17 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
it seems to be the job for Atari. How fast they will do it depends how fast they will get the gold copy, maybe (in any case, they should have it by now), the translation and then the work itself - voice acting, entering the text into the game, so on, so on..

IMHO, it would take a considerable amount of time to investigate G2 sales in the UK and the US (release date: Oct 2003), and to plan for further actions to promote the Gothic series. Thus, it wouldn't be very surprising for me if we don't hear any plan or announcement from Atari until late October to December 2003.

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Let's hope for the best, and for the fast english version release

And let's hope it won't take another year.

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Close call there Kiwi, there's one sure way of upsetting the mods and that's suggesting release polls!!

I doubt it, as release polls do not conflict with the Rules for Posting. The poll may frustrate others; however, IMHO, it is definitely "legal" here. It will merely ask for fellow forumers' opinions about the addon's release date. None of this action is "abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or" unlawful.

Further, it is hardly considered as a spam because the original intention is sincere, and there's currently no other poll or post regarding this release date. Unless the poll has been hijacked with wild ideas, I think it is perfectly fine to post it here.

Anyway, the mods are already upset at me. Some of my activities arouse negative attention from other sites, and offend people who provide great help here. Nevertheless, corwin, thank you for your concern.

P.S. It may sound like I take this too seriously, but really, I don't care.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:26 am
corwin

Kiwi, my comment was not based on the rules, but on past experience when people have set up such polls and the mods have quickly closed them down. Some polls are fine, but those seem to be out of favour. I know nothing about any of the mods being upset with you; I'll let them respond to that.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:48 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Kiwi, my comment was not based on the rules, but on past experience when people have set up such polls and the mods have quickly closed them down.

As I said, posts regarding release dates are highly unfavourable in these boards, and thus will potentially generate a lot of wild activities, such as flame wars, even from the mods. This is probably why such posts are locked.

However, such polls do not violate the Rules, and therefore, I should be proud of posting them, with no worriness about my membership status and my reputation in this board.

quote:
I know nothing about any of the mods being upset with you; I'll let them respond to that.

I hope noone will question about the issues, as they're nobody's business here. But still, I'd talked to them privately about those issues, but we all got tired of it anyway.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:25 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There'll be an English language add-on - according to info from Piranha Bytes. Rejoice!
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:18 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2