Help with demon needed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
muttbunch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help with demon needed

Can anyone give me any advice on how to kill the demon that gets sicced on me in the Temple of Akbaa? I only have moderate combat skills, and the only spell I have that seems to be of any use against flying creatures is Fireball, which doesn't even seem to slow him down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's getting very tiresome playing this part over and over. (I finally got smart and saved at a point *after* Suiberis gives his speech, but it still takes forever to reload after I've failed.)
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:30 pm
muttbunch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*bump*

Could someone reply, if only to tell me that there's no special secret to killing the demon? I haven't been able to get past him. Right now, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to finish the game.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:20 pm
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

my character is a mage with a bit of combat. I had 3 fireballs presaved and unleashed them on him when I started. This didnt kill him. If you want have one fireball and 2 protection spells. Like defense or something like that. After those first 3 fireballs I kept itting him with my longsword. If you have one and can use it make sure you put some bone powder on it...or one of those purple rocks (the name escapes me). He did a lot of damage to me. Make sure you have some healing powders. Also, i managed to get one spell in real time on him. That was magic missle. Its very quick but does very little damage. Try it out. make sure you have potions. IF not try downing an invisibility potion when your almost dead. If this works he wont see you and you can take 1 free potion or anything of your choosing before he attacks. My formula was 3 fireballs + a lot of hitting. Yours might be different depending on what character you play. Also this was my second demon . I could not save that little girl
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:06 pm
Idris Sunrunner
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

fed up

I know exactly how you feel I'm at the stage where I've done the demon to death and never manage to beat it ..my character is a mage..but I am not the most coordinated person in the world so trying to toggle between pre selected spells inventory heals and combat is damn near impossible to me ..I'm on the verge of giving up which is a shame as Arx is one of the best games I've played in quite some time. If you find a way around the demon let me know!!!

Idris Sunrunner
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:26 pm
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If your a mage you might be able to save 3 incinerate spells. THis might be enough. Also remember that its based on rolls. Try again. For me 3 fireballs and a little sword action helped alot.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:41 pm
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Also, i forgot this.... try poisoning your weapons. This will continually do damage to the beast. NOt only that but you get more exp that way.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:48 pm
Idris Sunrunner
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

bloody demons!

Thanks for your help much appreciated ..haven't got there yet though ive tried for many hours now with incinerate and mass lightening etc ..as well as always using poisoned weapons ...it's a real shame because I've done most else that I need to do in the game so I'm completely stuck.
Again many thanks for trying to help though ..hopefully someone will post the idiots guide to defeating demons heh!

Iddy
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:17 pm
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You know what helped me out a lot? Moving around. I only let him hit me like 3-4 times. I went in close and hit and then ran out of his way. Then i stored my hit again and went in once again. Good luck with beating that guy.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:47 pm
Idris Sunrunner
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks I'll give that a try too as I've not done that too often:) here's hoping I beat the nasty smelly thing

Yours
iddy
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:59 pm
Werdna
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with this guy. I managed to kill him the first time using armor on myself, subtract armor (maybe not the right name) on him, and circling the altar backwards constantly. I'd charge my stroke, wait for him to get in range, whack him, and back up again while charging another stroke. It took a long time, and a few health potions, but I did it. After a while, you learn to judge the distance needed for you to hit him without getting hit BY him. I keep wondering if shooting him with a bow a lot would have made it easier.... Anyway, good luck!
Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:25 am
wud39
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i was tring spells on him to no aval. andright when i was about to get pi**ed i just faced him with a sword......ran in hit - ran back.....that did it for me
Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:32 am
Idris Sunrunner
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sounds like this demon has very high magic resistance...I'll try the sword bow thing then ...thanks a lot for taking out time to help me ...much appreciated.

Iddy
xx
Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:52 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

had to think back a bit...

The first demon right? At the meteor? 3 disintegrates will NOT kill him, nor will 3 fireballs, I'm not even sure those spells hurt him, Ice projectile doesnt hurt him either. Best tactic: its kinda cheap, but for us mage types its very helpful... jump up on the altar, right next to the meteor, and whack him with your weapon (preferably a nice magic one). You'll still get hit, but not NEARLY so often, so this tactic is for those who don't like FPS combat. Be sure and charge each swing to max before hitting it. As always, have a supply of health potions on tap, and remember, the heal spell is quite easy to cast, even during combat...
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:24 am
Idris Sunrunner
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'VE DONE IT!!!!!!!
Thanks for all your advice guys ..I used mass paralyse on it three times whilst whacking it with my poxy short sword which I'd poisoned. I used a couple of health potions but some how backed myself up against the wall in such a way that it hit me much much less ..probably like the altar theory and it fianlly died!!
Thank goodness
Now to fathom out how to get through the portcullises in the level 5 crypt where that Alexander chappie is..or what ever his name is ...thanks again:)

Iddy
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:45 pm
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: had to think back a bit...

quote:
Originally posted by superdarkdude
The first demon right? At the meteor? 3 disintegrates will NOT kill him, nor will 3 fireballs, I'm not even sure those spells hurt him, Ice projectile doesnt hurt him either. Best tactic: its kinda cheap, but for us mage types its very helpful... jump up on the altar, right next to the meteor, and whack him with your weapon (preferably a nice magic one). You'll still get hit, but not NEARLY so often, so this tactic is for those who don't like FPS combat. Be sure and charge each swing to max before hitting it. As always, have a supply of health potions on tap, and remember, the heal spell is quite easy to cast, even during combat...

That's exactly what I did...
...and thankfully I NEVER got hit by the monster in the battle! I just jumped up next to the meteor - hoping to get a better shot at him - and realised that he cannot reach a certain spot there so I just charged whacked him a few times. That does not count as cheating, right?
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:46 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next