View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
max 858
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A few tips and observations

Hi!
My name is Max and would like to share my observations about Gothic which I have just finished. It’s not a new game, but I got to know about it accidentally. To say in general I am very surprised that such a game didn’t catch my attention earlier, but that’s probably because I live in a god’s forgotten province in Eastern Europe. I am an RPG fan and I played most of the
hits of the genre. What caught my eye at first in Gothic is the absence of that looooong boring dialogues in DnD style games (Nevewinter Nights and BG etc). The gameplay was wonderful and not challenging at all. In fact it was very easy.

You can kill most monsters from cliffs with a bow. You can rekill the most XP rewarding ones every chapter. I got that sword from the guard in the swamp camp (by luring 3 swampsharks) and the game was very easy. I killed all orcs in chapter 2 like this. I found some rock or even a mountain that I could climb on and then lured the orc mobs to it. I climbed up and killed them with a bow. Sometimes even my sword reached them.

The whole orc camp was also assasinated in the 2nd chapter. I climbed the mountain from the other side (near that nasty Mracoris) and used my bow. Sometimes when the enemy in under you and you are sitting on a high cliff you can’t target them with a bow. On rocks or low ramps you can just take out a sword and aim with a sword, then still holding the ‘use’ button, push '2' to draw your bow out – in this way your aim remained, and you can shoot with a bow.

In the FAQ by JemyM there is an explanation to how to fight the last battle. But I know a better solution. Shoot the boss one arrow to lure him and then retreat a little bit. He will follow you. Kill him, then shoot one of his minions, retreat, kill, repeat again. The other monster you can kill easy with some knowledge in 1h (or 2h) swords (when having critical hits) is a troll to the north of the old camp. You can climb on a rock by the Y-shaped tree, from there you can kill the goblins with a bow or even a sword and stay unharmed. Then lure the troll by shooting from close position and run to climb the rock again. Shoot or chop the troll to death, but you must choose a position where you can hit him and he cannot reach you. Orc hounds to the south of the old camp were killed just in the same manner.

The only thing I couldn’t do in the game is to get to the mountain chest in the monastery ruins without acrobatics. I pushed the pillar but it falls not in the right direction. A very nice feature of the game is falling from any height without harm by just holding strafle right or left.

I just have one question about another game I heard about lately. I want to ask because what I heard were two points of view. Usually when talking about a game the majority says it’s a good game if it is really good and vice versa. But what I hear about Morrowind is very different. Some say it’s fabulous, others – that it’s nothing compared to Daggerfall, that it's very plain and buggy and simplified and unplayable. Is that true? I want to ask whether it is worth my money and time to invest in playing this game and its two expansions.

Can you recommend a good Singleplayer RPG? Arx? Sacred? Wiz8? Thx.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:37 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I hardly belief you killed the entire orc clan and the big troll at the mines just at chapter 2. And well let me say if you really did it that way, I feel sorry of you because you have only noticed the tip of the ice berg of what a great game gothic is. Besides if you like gothic so much, there is a good change you wont like morrowind at all
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:06 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Shoot the final boss? The final boss is immortal, and needs to banished, not killed. If you're speaking of Cor Kalom, the easiest thing is to take him last. Shoot one shot on each of the novices to draw them to you. He won't react no matter what untill you are within a certain distance of him. This way, you can kill one novice at a time at your own pace.

Sorry, but I don't know any other RPGs that can really "satisfy" you after playing Gothic. The "feeling" in the game is the best of any game I've ever played. The only thing I can recommend is, of course, Gothic 2.

Also, there is even easier ways of getting good weapons/killing everything already in Chapter 1, than you have described, but I won't post a complete spoiler here. Let me just say that you can get Scars' sword, the best 1 handed sword in the game, already in Chapter 1.

Also, if you like a challenge, try to play a pure magician, using only magic, or take on "the diggers quest", by using a diggers' armor, and a pick-axe throughout the game(a lot of people have completed this already).

Good luck, and remember to get Gothic 2 if you really like Gothic 1.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:32 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well i played Morrowind and all of its sequels first and they were stunning. Nowadays i still like it. Only flaws are the draw distance and combat system.

But gothic. Gothic has a great combat system and a nice atmosphere etc.
Propably the greatest game i have played in a while.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:28 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Check out the sequal Gothic 2, before Morrowind would be my suggetion, Arx is good RPG, too.

Have you ever seen this site?
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/default.asp
Its the most popular ranking site with fans and developers, imo.
Just type in a game to see major site reviews and fans reviews

Morrwind is most popular due to its modding ablities, there are hundreds of mods for it.
It takes a more powerful machine to run the game, it looks good but it has very repetive dungens (almost all look the same), combat and leveling is really strange (im too tired to go into detail, now).
Morrowind is not nearly as good as Gothic 2, imo thou Gothic and Gothic 2 certianly have their flaws as well.
Also Ultima 9 is very similar in some ways to Gothic, thou I think Gothic is much better.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:09 am
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

ARRRGHH! Don't even mention the name of the hideous excretion upon the sacred franchise! The memories! THEY BURN!!!!11!!!

Those are some pretty strange tips as you don't actually fight the last boss per se, unless you mean Cor's guys.

Y'know, we should start a thread called "I need a good rpg with blah blah in it!" so people can just ask for a good rpg with certain qualities instead of making new threads about it. but anyways good single-player RPGs you might like are Divine Divinity, Fallout, Arcanum, the usual. There's a LOT of single-player RPGs so thats a pretty broad catergory.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:54 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

ok first i'd like to say to Maylander .. the sleeper is not immortal you can make it "resleep" if you hack a bow or have some other really bad ass long range weapon/spell .. and besides i think max ment cor kalom or what ever that guys name is .. and he's far from immortal ..

now to the morrowind bit ..
i've complited it .. or the main quest anyway .. didnt like its ending or lag of same ..
but there are a few nice things about it .. you have a huge arrey or weapons/armor/and all kinds of other things you can play whit if you get bored
it does have great and easy to use modding possiblitys ( but then again so does gothic .. just takes abit longer to learn )
and some people love it cuz its a huge world .. huge but abit dull for my taste ..
and a few sucky things about it would have to be the countsless loads it has to do when your running around .. also the fighting is really bad compaired to gothic ..
and then theres the total lag of voice acting and dayly rutines for the NPC's ..
really hated haveing to read all the dialogs
but you could give it a try if you wish .. maybe find a demo before spending money on it .
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:58 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Ultima 9 was the worst Ultima ever. It isn't worth paying over-inflated ebay prices for it.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:10 am
Artemisz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How can I pick up anything?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:43 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

in g you have ot hold left mouse button and then press forward
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:09 pm