Spellmaking
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Spellmaking

Is it possible to create your own spells without the help of another person(spellmaker)?Something like creating your own portions for example..And is it because you pay for the service of the spellmaker that even if I create a spell exactly the same as ,let's say NightEye, it always costs more than buying it ready, or there is something else?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:50 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'm 99.9% sure you need an NPC to make spells (except for TES construction kit of course).

Prices are just due to game balance. Try enchanting an item with constant-effect spell-reflection for another example!
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:52 am
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah,this is what I thought too.I don't understand what you mean with the different prices connected to game balance though..I am talking about creating a spell with exactly the same attributes as any ready spell availiable for purchace..The one I create ,although identical, costs just a bit more..
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:21 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

What I meant was that the main factor for the designers in deciding how much it would cost to make spells would be making sure that you couldn't make powerful spells cheaply, since that would make the game too easy.

So they determine the price from a generic formula that happens to give a similar result to the NPC cost in this case.

Spells and items sold by NPCs are a bit cheaper because they are more predictable. The designers don't really know all the combinations you could come up with when you make your own stuff.

If you're going to the trouble of making the spell it must have some advantage over the NPC version, so they make it a bit more expensive, just to be safe.

Something like that anyway?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:31 am
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I see what you are saying and I think you are right..The thing is that I wasn't trying to make a superspell I was just checking general spellmaking and how it works and for testing it I created spells exactly the same as the ones they sell (the simplest ones).It's always a bit more expensive and I can't see any advantage of my newly-created spell over the ready one...
Well I guess it doesn't really matter 'cause you can create combinations of your own which you can't find anywhere else .I just thought it would be more fair if, when the spell you create is the same with an existing one, to be at the same price ..Or, if the services of the spellmaker is the reason that you pay more,then you should have the option to make them on your own entirely with no help from the NPC's.I mean I am a sorccerer and I can't make my own spells, and the spellmaker can, although I seem to be more advanced than he is....Anyway..
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:04 am

I've looked through the Construction Kit thing and found the answer you were looking for. Some spells that the vendors sell to you doesn't have the "Auto Calculate" spell point cost checked on and that it has a fixed magicka cost at whatever the designers setted it to. This means that it'll stay at the same magicka cost regardless of your magic school proficiency. And usually it's also very cheap to cast.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:11 am

Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmmm..I'll check it out.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:58 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I think it's just a realism thing. You're forcing the guy to make up a new spell, which is some work, so it'll cost more. But if all you want is a spell he's already got in stock, then he doesn't need to charge as much to make a profit, since he can sell it multiple times. Like buying a prefab house, as opposed to getting one exactly the same, but "custom" made.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:06 am
Nikos R.
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah , this is what I thought all along , I just wanted to make sure...Nice signature by the way
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:45 am