Members
Usergroups
why don't merchants carry enough gold?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ryley

why don't merchants carry enough gold?

why do the merchants in town only possess a small amount of gold? it's very frustrating to raid a tomb and find many valuable magic items the you can sell, only to have the merchants refuse to buy it because they don't sufficient gold in hand. I once found a glass claymore worth more than 30k, yet i can't sell it. Any patches out there that anyone can recommend, which will give these merchants more gold. And if there is, would that ruin the playing experience. Was not giving too much gold to the merchants part of balancing this game out????
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:55 pm

yes it was so u cant get rich that easy. You can go to the talking crab, he carries 10k on him.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:01 pm

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

MW developers spent all their time making the water look purdy instead of game mechanics and balancing.

There are several plugins that address this, but I haven't tried them. Look here at RPGDOT or morrowindfiles.com for various plugins.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:02 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

There is a patch to make the Creeper have 100000000000 or something gold. Or you could go into the constuctin set and pick a NPC and then give him more bartering gold...if you not sure how to do that ask
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:55 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes there are several mods out that give merchants more money. I think its cooler though to stash the real fancy loot in your own house or to lug it around with your pack guar (there is a mod for that, too). I like the system of limited money, but agree that they limited it a bit too severely. However there isnt really that much one could buy with that amount of money anyway.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:11 pm
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

Personally I think the merchants' lack of money is a clerical error on Bethsoft's part. Sure, not being able to sell an item for 40k at the drop of a hat (When you go above 32k anyway, the game starts buggin [not showstopper]) makes sense but *MERCHANTS* with only 600 gold on them? That's a joke right? I think it might be possible though that Bethsoft gives Morrowind's merchants less money to show the East Empire Trading Company's negative effects on the local economy... but like I could friggin care

If I knew enough about modding I'd make a quest that starts in Ebonheart's East Empire Company to loosen their grip on what they declare as "contraband" such as dwemer artifacts, glass items, etc, seeing as how that part of Ebonheart seems to be incredibly underused. I can only think of one quest off the top of my head that involves that building and it's rather.... dull. But I think it'd make for a great post-main-quest quest. And after you finish the quest not only will merchants carry more money but they will have more interesting dwemer artifacts, maybe even some items that could be used in a spinoff quest of the main mod that could activate a dwemer machine to pump out... ummm... whatever dwarves made with those machines (sausages?). If anyone would be interested in helpin me do a mod like that, I can do the scripts that involve dialogue and the "easy" stuff, but I just don't have enough skills to make a full working mod yet.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:53 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Isn't it weird how Bethesda tried to balance the game economy by giving the merchants from 250 gold to 3000 gold (or something like that) when they failed sooo horribly in giving the game a fighting challenge for players like me? Seems like they could have spent their time more wisely..

Actually, instead of hand-placing 720 spoons they should have worked on the game itself.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:15 am
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

What is the deal with everyone's fixation on the spoon count in Morrowind?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:45 am
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

"Note: Pizza Hut drivers carry less than 30$ in change."

If you don't like it, change it. That's why Bethesda included the construction kit. I, personally, have never suffered from a lack of sub-5000 gold items easily sold to Creeper to ensure a decent cash flow. The house I whored from Dura gra-Bol is a beeyautiful display case for all my cooler loot.

When I was a kid, I worked in a convenience store, and they told us to never have more than 100 bucks in the cash. Anything more just screams "ROB ME" about as much as running through the Detroit Ghetto at midnight buck naked with 100$ bills strapped to your ass. I mean, when's the last time you went into your friendly neighborhood alchemist and they just had ten thousand clams behind the counter? HUH?

That's what I thought. Fools.

-Matt
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:19 am
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

hmm that;s a good point... just ask that Kajit(someone tell me hoe to spell that) trader in Balmora learned after he told me to get out and take that corpus with me.....but he did have some nice and expensive swords. The Merchents WITHOUT guards should have the same money they do now but the ones WITH guards should get more because they are protected from crazied lunatics like me.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:13 am
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Fireteddy

When I was a kid, I worked in a convenience store, and they told us to never have more than 100 bucks in the cash. Anything more just screams "ROB ME" about as much as running through the Detroit Ghetto at midnight buck naked with 100$ bills strapped to your ass. I mean, when's the last time you went into your friendly neighborhood alchemist and they just had ten thousand clams behind the counter? HUH?

That's what I thought. Fools.

-Matt

Matt's afraid of havin too much cash? Fool
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:55 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Thats business. You don't have money laying arround, you invest it again to make more profed.
Any shopkeeper tries to sell stuff to make cash, not buy stuff to give cash away.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:04 pm
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

Man.... MW doesn't exactly represent the stock market or anything. Dunmer aint nothin but broke hoes is all I'm sayin
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:12 am
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Isn't it weird how Bethesda tried to balance the game economy by giving the merchants from 250 gold to 3000 gold (or something like that) when they failed sooo horribly in giving the game a fighting challenge for players like me? Seems like they could have spent their time more wisely..

Actually, instead of hand-placing 720 spoons they should have worked on the game itself.

What are you talking about? The way the merchants are is the way it is entended to be. So that you can't become too strong too fast. If you don't like it, well that's your problem, don't blame them.

Imagine if you could sell all your 30k items... you could make INSANE constant effect items and that would destroy the game. Normal magic items already make it way too easy
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:14 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yep, i agree with what Itburn said. It's simply for balancing the game. We already saw many gamer/poster complaint that Morrowind are too easy for them - especially for power gaming type. But still, and IF YOU CHOOSE to do so (& i think Bethesda did offer that alternatives), you could find some NPCs that have more money (Creeper, talking Mudcrab etc). And if you still not satisfy, there is TES construction set for you to exploits; or more easily - just download a mod that adding amount of the traders money.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next