Losing our powers again in Gothic 3
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

Losing our powers again in Gothic 3

Obviously we can't start off capable of killing Dragons and Demon Lords in Gothic 3, so what excuse do you think they'll use to "reset" us again now that we didn't die? If they keep doing it over and over again it'll get old and unrealistic.

Xardas probably knows we can be a threat to him if he decides to use his power for evil... perhaps he has the power to take away some of our power because it was he who brought us back to life? He could invoke the power of Beliar to drain us using some dark ritual.

I hope we won't start out as weak as we did in Gothic, but capable of killing orcs at least... they could just make even tougher types of orcs, and new breeds of monsters.

Also, they need a reason for us to choose a new class... we survived Gothic 2, and unless we're able to choose our old profession at the start of the game it might be confusing. As the story progresses, it'll be hard to avoid making references to what we were in the earlier games... perhaps we should get the option to choose what we played as in gothic 2 at the start of the game, so that the dialogues will reflect it? If not, and if they're going to assume we played as a certain class, I think they should go with Mercenary... it seems like the most logic profession for the hero.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by SheerWolf on Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:09 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

he probally dies in the addon
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:12 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

I doubt that - it would be very unoriginal at least. And who would bring him back this time? Xardas sure has no use for him any more.

I wouldn't be suprised if the game starts with us being washed ashore on a beach on the mainland after our ship crashed, and we get a cheesy explanation for being weak again. "Major trauma to the head" or something hehe. "Fish nibbled at our brain".
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:29 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah thats probally it
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:35 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

He probably almost starved to dead, then somebody finds him on a beach, more dead then alive and heals him to a very weak state.

I don't see any other way that his power can be gone, or somebody (maybe Xardas) is to scared of him, but does not have enough powers to kill him, only weaken him.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:24 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

No idea what will happen, but I'd like to point out this part of the Gothic 2 Add-On interview:
quote:
GothicDot: Are we plaing our nameless hero from Gothic 1 & 2 again and if so, is he starting from scratch again or with the stats from after Gothic 2 and is the addon thus for experienced characters only otr can a new character from Gothic 2 also take on the quest?

Mike Hoge: The latter. We didn't want to use the stats from after Gothic 2. Anyone who wants to play a superhero, look forward to Gothic III. The addon is mainly for enriching the world of Gothic 2, to embed the addon in Gothic 2. There has been some criticism on this approach, but all who test-played the resulting addon, didn't have any problems with it anymore ))

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:57 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Does it really matter? I mean, starting from nothing and growing powerful is all part of the fun in CRPGs for me. Perhaps we'll have the option to import a Gothic 2 savegame and maybe choose 1 stat (or ability) that can start out at 1/3 power -- I guess that won't be too bad. Starting from scratch is perfectly acceptable to me regardless.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:19 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah of course - I *want* to start all over again as a weakling. Starting out powerful would absolutely suck as I love to build new characters. This post was pretty much about *how* they would make our character weak again without being unoriginal or cheesy.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:52 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Arhu
No idea what will happen, but I'd like to point out this part of the Gothic 2 Add-On interview:
quote:
GothicDot: Are we plaing our nameless hero from Gothic 1 & 2 again and if so, is he starting from scratch again or with the stats from after Gothic 2 and is the addon thus for experienced characters only otr can a new character from Gothic 2 also take on the quest?

Mike Hoge: The latter. We didn't want to use the stats from after Gothic 2. Anyone who wants to play a superhero, look forward to Gothic III. The addon is mainly for enriching the world of Gothic 2, to embed the addon in Gothic 2. There has been some criticism on this approach, but all who test-played the resulting addon, didn't have any problems with it anymore ))

Aha! Superhero it is, then... I guess we won't be "reset" again. That means we'll be able to choose our profession/guild when we start the game, then?

If we start out capable of killing Dragons and Demon Lords, I wonder what kinds of new monsters they have in store for us...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:01 am
Virk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Xardas will not kill you, since you are THE ONE!!! and the only one that will be able to defeat and kill Beliar. After that ,Xardas can take Beliars place as the god of evil. Wich has been his plan all along=P

But yea, building up the char is most of the fun for me. growing from weakling to something powerful and notice the improvments.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:35 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Actually, I take the superhero comment as meaning that you have the *potential* to build up a super character in Gothic 3, not necesarilly that you will start out as one.

He was saying that the addon would pose no challenge to a super-character whereas Gothic 3 would.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:20 am
D_Dog
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I sure hope

we'll get to build our hero from nothing. Building our character sterngth and social postion is one of the best aspects of the Gothic games.

A drain the power ritual is a good idea. Maybe in the very beginning of the game we can start playing as the powerful hero we once were, and our mission will be to kill Xardas or something, but we'll get to his lair too late - and he drain us from all the power we had.
At least, something like that.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:46 am
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

I don't think it would be good idea to base Gothic 3 on assumptions what you may have played in the earlier games. That would take much of the freedom of the game away. Actually, beeing a weakling at the start makes the game more interesting especially if you play the first time. You have to figure out when you can fight against certain monster and when to retreat. Anyway, another classic in sequels is the father-son trick. Our nameless hero arives at the mainland, settles down , marries and has a son. After some time (when the son is about 20 + x years old) the evil returns. But the original nameless hero is to old now to fight so the son has to take up the fight. But since the nameless hero was tired of all this hero stuff he never told his son anything about his past and the son grew up just being an ordinary farmer. But the hero stuff is also in his genes. He just has to learn these things. And so the story begins ...

Kay
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:06 am
Predator
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Creating hero is the best part of all rpg games. IMHO it doesn't matter the story =) just enjoy the game =) (but the finall boss was really crap)
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:07 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the original hero is the chosen one not his son or something i would like to see the old character
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next