Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it true??? Holy moly! Thank you god!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Is it true??? Holy moly! Thank you god!!

Is it true that Gothic 2 is already out in the US?? Oh my gosh I haven't felt this way since I lost my v.... ermmm, you know! Please confirm that it is out?! I don't want to have a heart attack from all the excitement from nothing![/list]
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:45 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no its not out in the us but there is a us company importing it from the uk that you can order it from
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:47 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Does that mean it won't be coming out in stores?

If it does come out in the US, then when will it?

The sticky at the top of the forum under release dates says 6/13 US...

Is that version the same as the version that will be released in the US soon?

Does amazon have them in stock?

More:
Details, details, details!!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:04 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no that means it isnt in stores yet and noone wants to wait until october to get it so they are ordering it from gogamer
I dont see why they would change it to release it in the US
its not coming out in the US 6/13 otherwise someone would have seen it by now
who cares aout amazon, gogamer has a 2 day delivery
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:45 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

www.gogamer.com
is where everyone in the US it ordering it from the most.

I got mine yesterday from them. Great service.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:38 pm
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Whoever owns gogamer will have a huge smile, they will probably kill off the US market when its released over there lol

Silly PB/Jowood lol
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:33 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by SirDiety
Does that mean it won't be coming out in stores?

The release that is coming out is UK version. People in US are supposed to wait until Atari US distributes the US version. This version in British stores, but not in American stores.

quote:
If it does come out in the US, then when will it?

The sticky at the top of the forum under release dates says 6/13 US...

Check it again. The American release date is around Oct 15, as estimated by Gamespot. The Jun 13 release date is for UK-import version.

quote:
Is that version the same as the version that will be released in the US soon?

I don't think so. As mentioned, the version that is released is UK version. Any copy of the game in the US right now are imported from the UK.

Why don't you buy the UK-import version now? You know, your new uber-power PC is waiting for this game.
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:43 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Thanks kiwi boy. The only reason I am hesitant to order the game now is because I want the experience to be the best possible. If the US version is going to be any better than the UK version then I think I would rather wait for the US version.

One thing I heard is that there are only something like 3 UK voice actors acting for all the NPCs in the game. This true? The US version would likely have more, yes?

Also, I don't use credit cards.I would have to use a money order or something, but I don't know if that is an option.

Let's talk a bit about the differences we can anticipate between the UK version of Gothic 2 and the US version of Gothic 2. I'll feel more comfortable making a decision then.

*I would really prefer for the voice actors to be the same or have the same accent as the original Gothic. Were those UK voice actors?

Make some recommendations for me!

Thanks!

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I would expect the differences to be comparable to those between the German and the Austrian version.
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:02 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Actually i am almost 99% positive that the UK and US version of the actual games will be the SAME.

This is how it usually is, when doing voices the game company doesn't do voices for EACH region, but rather each LANGUAGE.

So there will be one English spoken voices, one german, etc.
rather than different english versions.

The uk versions is rated M , it has nothing cut. so the only thing the US could have that the UK doesn't is if they cut the rating down to T and took out some stuff, but seeing as how Gothic I didn't, i doubt they will with Gothic II.

So i would say the UK and US versions will be excatly the same minus the packaging, (like i said, us version will proablly be in a cardboard box where the UK version is in the DVD style case.)
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:35 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

i am sure it was mentioned somewhere that there's no difference between us and uk versions. If there is a difference it'll be a new patch, and there aren't any plans to make another patch as far as i know. my advice: order from gogamer, or another uk store
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:52 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
If the US version is going to be any better than the UK version then I think I would rather wait for the US version.

Don't expect you'll have anything "better" unless you're buying some kind of Special Edition or some sort. Unfortunately, there's no Special Edition of English Gothic II announced yet. (Only the German version is announced.)

quote:
One thing I heard is that there are only something like 3 UK voice actors acting for all the NPCs in the game. This true? The US version would likely have more, yes?

I don't think the voice-acting will be different. In terms of money, it won't be efficient to make two versions of voice-acting for one common language. BTW, head to the official forums at JoWooD. Some people there are whining that the accents of the NPC's are too American.

quote:
Let's talk a bit about the differences we can anticipate between the UK version of Gothic 2 and the US version of Gothic 2. I'll feel more comfortable making a decision then.

Like what Stiler said, I think the codebase for US and UK versions of G2 are essentially the same. Only the packaging (e.g. box package, local rating, publisher's address on the manual, etc.) will be different. I'm only a small humble gamer, so don't blindly believe my words.

quote:
Make some recommendations for me!

Weren't you the guy who bought a new PC just for G2? If so, go buy it now. Your PC is hungry for it.
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:16 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'll go ahead and see if I can get it now. Kiwi, I love the way you respond to my posts. Keep it up man; it helps a lot.

PS. How does one go about getting information about joining the team of developers responsible for the Gothic series? I know they are made in Germany, but is it a team of developers in a large company spread throughout different countries?

PSS. Yes, I am the one with the monster PC. I'm actually planning on building a newer, even more extreme one soon.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:43 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Don't really get what you're saying. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

quote:
How does one go about getting information about joining the team of developers responsible for the Gothic series?

AFAIK, both English and German versions of Gothic are developed by only a team of people (only a few dozens of people are in Piranha Bytes). So, how hard is it for such a small team to work together?

quote:
I know they are made in Germany, but is it a team of developers in a large company spread throughout different countries?

Piranha Bytes developed the game early this year. They sold the game to JoWooD, who is supposedly responsible for all the packaging and stuff. However, because they had financial difficulties, they threw the ball to Atari to distribute Gothic II among different countries. And now, that's all we get.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:45 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

And I got a free game for "passing on the info for GoGamer" They are making money and I got something for it. Thanks!
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:26 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next