View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
BelgarathTAO
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please help me understand.

Hello.

Before I get too far, I want everyone to understand that I am not interested in a flame war. (That should really get it going fast!)

Because of the amout of the attention that Gothic gets on this website, I bought a copy of it off of e-bay about a year ago. I remember reading the manual and then installing it, with great expectaions. Maybe that was my first problem. I think I played it for almost an hour. All I can honestly remember is that I had a terrible time with the controls, and that I really had no idea what I should or even could do.

So, since I am currently "between" games, having just finished SW:KOTOR twice, I am currently re-installing Gothic to give it another go. So I am looking for tips that might enhance my experience. Not a walkthrough or spoilers, just some general tips. Thanks for any assistance,

Belgarath the Ancient One
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:05 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Welcome to the forums.

I'd suggest downloading JemyM´s GothicFAQ here. Just ignore the walkthrough portion and read the portion that explains the controls and the general info about the game. It's much better than the manual. If you get stuck, then you can peek at the strategy and walkthrough portions.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:19 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Yeah, do check out that particular FAQ, as it is a great resource, really.

As for my own tips, I guess the best one would be to persist. Gothic is one great game, but only if you give it a fair chance. Don't let the controls annoy you, and don't hesitate to seek support on this forum...
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:33 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If your PC is clearly stronger than 1 GHz you can ramp up the graphics with the FPSpatch. The search function should tell you what to install.

The major obstacle are the controls. Download the FAQ and read the readme file! The the parts you need are 1. pick sth. up, etc. , 2. combat 3. trade.
1. (Ctrl or LMB) + forward does almost everything! This is always the first thing to try. Highlight an item or NPC and press LMB + forward to equip, use, talk, attack, ...
2. this is a matter of timing. The FAQ has a chapter about combat.
3. This is a bit weird but the FAQ explains it.

You should avoid all fights with humans until you have an armour. A better armour, a more powerfull weapon and more Str make a huge difference.

Remember that the setting is a medieval male prison. Some of the thrill comes from trying how far you can go without getting your ass kicked. Chapter 1 is more about quests and NPC interaction. After that the game becomes more linear and combat intense.
You should delay the choice of your camp as long as possible.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:33 pm
BelgarathTAO
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK, been playing along so far. Not bad, once I got used to the interface. It is still one of the worst interfaces I have used, but I can live with it.

One thing that I have found very interesting is the depth of character interaction. I am in a prison camp, and I find myself HATING these people. Emotion is very rare in a computer game for me. Most NPC are just objects that I trade with, or objects that I don't walk near. Now I find myself disliking people for what they have done to me, and I am already plotting my revenge. This is roleplaying.

Also, I had to start twice, since my first time I had not yeat ready about the interface for trading, and lost all my items for no money. So the second time through, I just skipped most of the conversations, figuring it was all just text I had already read. Well, I was so wrong, and I am paying for it. A pain, but very well done.

I am definately going to keep playing this time, and I hope that the level of NPC interaction keeps up. That alone will make it a great game in my book, and may even turn me into a Gothic Fanboy!

Belgarath the Ancient One
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:09 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Welcome Belgarath.I hope you enjoy Gothic1.If you liked the emotions in the game and the emotions that the game gives you(for me at least as a member of the Brotherhood)just wait till you finish Gothic1 and start Gothic2.
You will be staned!
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:19 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I STRONGLY recommend using the alternate control scheme. This integrates the mouse into the control scheme. That makes the game a hell of a lot easier.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:22 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Re, The keyboard,

I personally find the keyboard layout in G & G2 faultless and if i had to
design a keyboard assignment system from scratch i could not improve on
the current one either practically (using 5 fingers for certain unusual cheats)
or ergonomically (for full function control)

Each person has their own preferences and so what suits one may not suit
another.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:14 pm