Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Badger finds Divine Divinity and without using drugs.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Badger finds Divine Divinity and without using drugs.

Hi all

As I expect you've all ready guessed, the Badger has dipped his paws into the tempting pool of Divine Divinity and so far the water's lovely.

Yet another "no show" for "Republic The Revolution" had me prowling along the shelves of my local "Game" store, for a consolation present to myself and Lo, Divine Divinity did rise up above the other glossy packages and hover gracefully saying, "Come to me Badger, turn my box over in your hands and read the tempting text on my behind (oooer) I'm only £14.99, we both know you can't resist."

Damn you Divine Divinity! You already know me too well.

So it is that I come to find myself in the woody little village of Aleroth. Its inhabitants, as charming a bunch of Elves and Dwarves as you could ever wish to stick a knife in. Which is handy really because despite a good three hours of dedicated play last night when I should have been getting my beauty sleep, a knife is still all I have.

I've seen some short swords, but they don't look to do as much damage as the dagger I already have, so there seemed little point in switching and ... Well, there's things to be said for daggers I suppose. Easy to clean. There, that's one thing. Don't take up a lot of space would be another. I once took an IQ test involving a dagger. A covered tray was placed on a table in front of me and when they whipped the cloth away I saw on the tray three items. A potato, a cabbage and a knife.

The man overseeing the test asked me which I thought was the odd one out and he looked a little confused when I pointed to the cabbage. "Why the cabbage?" He enquired. "Well" I replied, "You can make chips with the other two."

But to get back to the matter at hand. Despite searching all the houses in the village for interesting items of loot to liberate, I'm still missing any semblance of a long blade, or even a long-ish one. Regrettably this means that swinging my sword arm, equipped as it is with a mere dagger, produces no swish. I want to swashbuckle. But there's no swash without a swish! And swishless swash is never a pretty sight.

Never the less, despite this handicap I have come to the Catacombs beneath Aleroth. Many a foul denizen of these depths have I threatened with my blade, although I've had to adapt my usual "Have At Thee" taunt to a more suitable, "Gonna Cutcha maaan.. Back off, gonna cutcha goood."

At one point I came across a statue of a fallen Warrior Woman, who betrayed by the cowardice of her partner, had cursed him to live in the murky labyrinthine depths, until such a time as he found another to give his life for. As luck would have it, that was me and more used to the backup of a "Balders Gate" style team, than the solitary quest now standing before me, I watched with great anticipation as the air before me started to shimmer, heralding the arrival of a hero to fight for me. (Either that or Mr Spock was beaming in.) Sadly though, no shiny armoured upholder of justice was forthcoming. (Nor a pointy eared science officer.)
Instead I get......... A zombie!? Great! The Lone Ranger had Tonto, Batman had Robin and I'm the only hero in town with a sidekick who you have to keep down wind! Determined to make the best of the situation though, I turn to my putrid partner and slapping my fist into my gauntleted palm I enthuse..... "Come on old chum, lets seek out the evil in this place." Encouragingly he responds with the classic "Urrrrg.... Arrrrg." Marvellous.

Let me ask you a question though dear reader and adventurer.

I have discovered that in order to reach the lowest depths of the Catacombs, where in my heart I know I must go in order to find a cure for the old wizard chap up top without all his marbles, that I must open four tombs in order to reveal a central secret passage. There is a catch of course. This being that each of the four, once opened, unleashes a wave of nasty howly waily types who definitely don't have my best interests at heart. Some of whom I might add, must have been basketball players in their previous lives and are hard enough to fight individually, let alone going up against a team of the buggers.

Discretion however being the better part of valour. I have determined that an effective method of reaching my ground floor destination, is to swap my polished leather war boots for Nike trainers and sprint round, opening all four tombs whilst nimbly avoiding the unwanted attentions of my cadaverous foe. Vault over the edge of the central entrances without so much as a look of my shoulder and with a hearty "So Long Suckers" and following the example set by Morphius in the Matrix, "See how far the Rabbit hole goes".

Problem is of course that all this offends my warriors code. You know, stuff like... You don't keep hacking at a man after he's down. You don't steal from poor peasants or their children. You don't push into the queue at the supermarket... That kind of thing.

So Divine Divinity veterans out there. Am I a hero or a cheat? Am I Michael Caine or Steve Martin? Am I Superman or Lex Luther? Supertramp said it best... "I know it sounds absurd, please tell me who I am."

Badger.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:46 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You're smart. Depending on your class and choosen profession, Warrior, Survivor or Mage, taking on those critters can be bad news. A Survivor should do what a survivor does, live to fight another day.
A low level mage should follow the same example, but come back later to crush those who tried to embarrass him.
A low level warrior should try the old divide and conquer (ie bait and run) tactics that can weaken his foe so he can take them on head to head.

And for heavens sake, buy a better weapon! Or better yet, steal one!
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:02 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks Val, sound advice.

I'm a low level warrior and I have indulged in a little of the old baiting technique to get as far into the Catacombs as I have. The worst guys by far though are the Basketball Players (went through three health potions to kill one of those guys on the level above) and their cousins with the wings, who as well as being hard to kill, have the nerve to cheat by summoning up additional Skeleton friends to pound on you.

When I met the first one of these chaps and saw what he was doing, I decided that two could play at that game and sorted through my inventory to sound my "Badgers Horn Of Summoning" There turned out to be two main drawbacks to that plan however.

In the first place I didn't have a "Badgers Horn Of Summoning" and in the second place there's no such thing as the "Badgers Horn Of Summoning!"
So all in all I decided that I probably hadn't thought it through all that well and I reverted to plan "B". Which was of course teleporting back to town and giving a horrendous amount of gold to the thieving George, for extra health potions. On my return downstairs, a healthy mix of Quaffing and Stabbing in equal measures was enough to show Bony Wings guy who was boss. (That would be Badger by the way.)

It goes without saying by the way, that if I run away like my stripe was yellow, in order to reach the last level. I'll return when I am a hard case, to teach these fellows a lesson.

Badger.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:03 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Badge, my fine furry friend, there should be lots of long steel available where you are, don't forget the warriors whirling dervish; I used it to great effect down there, and a little spell thrown from afar has wonderous results also if you have been thought ful enough to add a little prestidigitation to your repetoire!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:34 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Corwin, how dare you make me get my dictionary out! Just behave yourself or I'm coming over there and you DON'T want that!
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:07 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Badger - I am glad the Badger has found this game. It is a great little gem
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:27 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

I think you're right there Lintra, it seems to be shaping up quite nicely. It might not be as pretty as the Balders gate family, but it somehow feels more solid.

By the way, I've managed to fight my way out of the catacombs (all bar a few nasties I'm going back for when I level up a little) and cure the mad wizard. But I've found that someone has killed George the shopkeeper!

A quick search of the shop has revealed little in the way of clues. But clicking on his counter opens up a secret compartment, in which there seems to be a sword! YAY!!!! Except that I can't get the pointer to register the sword..only the counter. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Badger.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:57 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thats weird I thought it made baldurs gate look terrible in comparison.

I started icewind dale 2 and dd at the same time, and i couldnt look at icewind dale it looked like nintendo to me. I still havent been able to finish it because its not very interesting but thats besides the point.

The graphics of just the avatars animationsin DD is something like 800 mb, just the six characters you can be.

Baldurs gate games ( sometimes) had nice background graphics. The world you walked through was very detailed. Thats where most of the data is. But your little dudes were pixels.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:56 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
A quick search of the shop has revealed little in the way of clues. But clicking on his counter opens up a secret compartment, in which there seems to be a sword! YAY!!!! Except that I can't get the pointer to register the sword..only the counter. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Nothing, it's just a sword for looking at, not taking
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:52 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

BAH! I thought I'd found something a bit special there. Up to now I've more or less had to rely on having a sharp tongue!

Thanks Myrthos

Badger
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:57 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
....Thanks Myrthos

Yes, thanks Myrthos. I was unable to get back to Badger yesterday.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:32 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

That's a relief Lintra. I was beginning to doubt the wisdom of changing my aftershave!
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:35 pm