Game out of Potions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Game out of Potions?

I'm at the point in Chapter 1 where I should settle down on a guild, but I'm putting that off until I can level up one or two more times. There are still monsters to be killed in the north west area of the game.

Unfortunately, I've bought up and used all the healing potions for sale and the vendors do not restock. Constantine, his guy in the market, the fellow in the upper quarter, and Sagitta are all out of potions. I've been checking other vendors too. None of them have any more potions and most of them don't refresh their stock.

Aren't the vendors supposed to restock such necessary game items? At least they still have arrows for sale. You'd think potions would be available all the time too.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:26 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Once you start killing the Orcs in chapter 2, you'll have plenty again. Orcs are loaded with healing potions.

There's always the option of learning alchemy and brewing your own. But that costs 5LP to start and then 5LP per potion you learn.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:46 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Once you start killing the Orcs in chapter 2, you'll have plenty again. Orcs are loaded with healing potions.

There's always the option of learning alchemy and brewing your own. But that costs 5LP to start and then 5LP per potion you learn.

I thought of that a while back but realized the herbs were becoming very scarce too.

It seems the game has decided how the player should play and set out just enough goods to get the job done on a mean budget.

And there isn't even a portable bed in this game:)
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:59 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The lack of a sleeping bag has ticked me off as well. One of my very few negative observations about this game.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:31 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Not to worry, in chapter 2 you can buy more potions and you will find 2 teleport scrolls that take you to a place where you can rest. The only drawback is you have to walk back to where you were. I bought every potion in Chapter 1, but only used in emergency. Therer are so many herbs and food pulled off monsters that I didn't need many potions.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:56 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by deiland
Not to worry, in chapter 2 you can buy more potions and you will find 2 teleport scrolls that take you to a place where you can rest. The only drawback is you have to walk back to where you were. I bought every potion in Chapter 1, but only used in emergency. Therer are so many herbs and food pulled off monsters that I didn't need many potions.

Actually, I never really had a problem with potions. I finished the game with well over 500 healing potions (over 200 of the mediums strength, and just under 200 of the high test).

My beef with the lack of sleeping bag was night time. It just bothered me that I would fight my way to a point to explore and then have night time descend on me. Leaving me with the option of running across half the map to find a bed, just to have to run back in the morning, or explore at night ... NOT a safe idea!!
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:02 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Game out of Potions?

quote:
Originally posted by SilkenKidden
I'm at the point in Chapter 1 where I should settle down on a guild, but I'm putting that off until I can level up one or two more times. There are still monsters to be killed in the north west area of the game.

Sounds like you have a lot of areas you could still explore. If you've purchased all purchaseable potions and are not yet ready to start chapter 2, that means you're going to have to discover potions hidden throughout the land and sometimes found on dead monsters.

If you're finding that most battles leave you practically dead, you're going to have to get through this curve by carefully luring 1 monster to you, killing it, and running back to the closest bed to heal. Rinse and repeat. As you move through the land (albeit slowly), you will start to discover plenty of potions. Use them wisely so you don't end up in this situation again.

Whenever possible, try to heal using food or herbs or a bed. I would use potions only in battles that were truely difficult, where I found myself reloading constantly because of getting killed. If you are fighting something and it has killed you 5 times, try using a potion or two mid-battle. If you still aren't killing it, that monster is probably too tough for you at the moment and would be best to put it off later (and save on the potions as well).
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:32 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

That's what I have been doing. I let loose one set of skeletons in the tomb near the Landowners. I'm dead the minute a skeleton hits me the second time, sometimes the first, but I found that I can lure them to the fence around the tomb and jump up one one of the fence posts. From there I can shoot arrows until they die. But once in a while they do manage a swipe so it's a lot of running back to the farm to rest.

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
quote:

Sounds like you have a lot of areas you could still explore. If you've purchased all purchaseable potions and are not yet ready to start chapter 2, that means you're going to have to discover potions hidden throughout the land and sometimes found on dead monsters.

If you're finding that most battles leave you practically dead, you're going to have to get through this curve by carefully luring 1 monster to you, killing it, and running back to the closest bed to heal. Rinse and repeat. As you move through the land (albeit slowly), you will start to discover plenty of potions. Use them wisely so you don't end up in this situation again.

Whenever possible, try to heal using food or herbs or a bed. I would use potions only in battles that were truely difficult, where I found myself reloading constantly because of getting killed. If you are fighting something and it has killed you 5 times, try using a potion or two mid-battle. If you still aren't killing it, that monster is probably too tough for you at the moment and would be best to put it off later (and save on the potions as well).

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:25 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
That's what I have been doing. I let loose one set of skeletons in the tomb near the Landowners. I'm dead the minute a skeleton hits me the second time, sometimes the first, but I found that I can lure them to the fence around the tomb and jump up one one of the fence posts. From there I can shoot arrows until they die. But once in a while they do manage a swipe so it's a lot of running back to the farm to rest.

When you are dying from one or two hits, the monster in question is really too tough for you at the moment. However, as you pointed out, sometimes you can use the geography to help you win a battle you would most likely lose in a face to face confrontation... and the game is designed with this in mind so when these opportunities arise, it's fun to use them... and the experience earened is usually worth the effort.

However, take care not to use health potions for these types of battles. With a monster wiping out your hp in just one or two hits, you can suck down a huge number of health potions for just one battle... and that isn't worth it.

So, when taking on monsters that can kill you in just one or two hits, you gotta do whatever you can to avoid using health potions. Sometimes that means a lot of running back and forth to beds, or restoring 10 HP at a time eating food or herbs, but at least you'll have health potions handy for those 'close call' encounters.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:20 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

I didn't particularly like getting trounced at low levels. If you think about it, there's only x amount of experience in this game. Wether you get it in chapter 1 or chapter 5 doesn't really matter. Assuming you don't miss any quests, everyone should finish about the same level. (Give or take a few) The only "extra" experience (in a game where marvin mode or exploits aren't taken advantage of) is pickpocketing that I could find. That should only generate a couple thousand since there are only so many people you can pickpocket and then only once. I've noticed that a lot of things are almost equal. Like wether you kill off the thieves guild or not, it's about the same amount of experience.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:33 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

True

quote:
Originally posted by jmurdock
I didn't particularly like getting trounced at low levels. If you think about it, there's only x amount of experience in this game. Wether you get it in chapter 1 or chapter 5 doesn't really matter. Assuming you don't miss any quests, everyone should finish about the same level. (Give or take a few) The only "extra" experience (in a game where marvin mode or exploits aren't taken advantage of) is pickpocketing that I could find. That should only generate a couple thousand since there are only so many people you can pickpocket and then only once. I've noticed that a lot of things are almost equal. Like wether you kill off the thieves guild or not, it's about the same amount of experience.

That seems to be a true statement. However, the game is designed such that when you get that experience can be very different from one player to the next... and there is no right or wrong in this.

In Gothic 2, I prefer building up my fighting abilities as early as possible. This requires doing as many quests as possible as early as possible, while scouring the map for as many monsters to kill as possible. I like it this way for a couple of reasons:

1) I think fights against monsters that are way overpowering to me is fun - especially when I finally win.

2) In the last half of the game, when you've pretty much explored most of the terrain and seen most of the monsters, I become more focused on moving the story forward - and if I'm a killing machine at that point, I won't have too much difficulty keeping the story moving along.

Again, there's no right or wrong - this is just a play style. And like you pointed out, G2 has only so much experience to be had. But when you get that experience is up to individual tastes.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:53 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

True, I just liked having better armor befor going after skelly's. Man they are a b---- in farmers clothing or leather.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:56 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Agreed

quote:
True, I just liked having better armor befor going after skelly's. Man they are a b---- in farmers clothing or leather.

Yeah, I truely hate the undead in this game - they are really a lot tougher than the undead in most CRPGs. And they are extremely difficult when there's more than one.

When tackling Inibus' tomb, my wife had to come in several times to keep me in check... was swearing up a storm hehe
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:24 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Sounds familiar. No hubby, but SO had to leave the room a few times.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:33 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol

quote:
Sounds familiar. No hubby, but SO had to leave the room a few times.

Well, right there you demonstrate better sense than I do...
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next