Does Age Really Matter?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Does Age Really Matter?

OK. For a bit of fun, how old are the people playing this game, and for how long have you been playing RPG's? To start the ball rolling, I'm over 50, married with two teenage kids, who also love playing games. I've been playing games for over 15 years, mainly RPG's with my all time favourites being Ultimas. I began on a Commodore 64, moved to a 286 and now sport a 1.4 gig Athalon. My son's friends are amazed that his dad loves computer games as much as he does, but I believe that games have no age barrier (except maybe FPS which are too fast for my reflexes ). Over to the rest of you, step aboard and let's see if I'm the oldest gamer here!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:39 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Im soon 16, and i love RPG games. I don't know why, i have always been interested in medival stuffs, likes swords and such. I also like to be able to play my own character in the way I want, you can't realy do that in FPS games. I began playing computer games when i got my first computer, a P200 Mhz, 32 Mb RAM.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:39 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Wrong forum.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:17 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Once again, DzD cuts right to the point. Seriously, the age question is very interesting. My dad (just turned 60) loves board games and chess, and he loves Dune 2, but I can't seem to get him interested in new RTSs. Quite a few of my friend's dads like RPGs and miniature gaming, but they have some sort of atavistic need to be hands on, and so eschew computer games (they like their toys, after all). I personally prefer games with toys to computer games, but I've really got no one to play the board games with, so I play computer games. BTW, I am 25.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::

Last edited by ButtOfMalmsey on Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:06 pm
Vikce

I am 25 year old, and playing comp. games since i made myself first compiuter (zx-spectrum or sinclair if you dont know that zilog 80 is) in 1989. And in IBM PC world I am since 1993m with 80386DX 40Mhz foloved 80486 DX4 133MHz in 1995m, foloved pentiumMMX 200MHz in 1997m, intel celeron 333MHz in 1999m, intel pentium III 850MHz in 2000m and intel pentium III 1000MHz (RAM 512Mb RAM, HDD RAID 0 with 2xIBM 40GB /Vancouver/, Video Asus V8200T5 Deluxe, Mb Abit ST6-Raid ...) since 2001m...
I play RPG games only since Daggerfall (1995m), Strategy games since -CIV, Shooters since Wolfenstein, simulators I don't like, most I like RPG's (but not a "hack and slash" rpg's=diablo and e.t.c.) and Strategy (but not a RTS=warcraft and e.t.c.)
But first of my interests is CHEMISTRY, especially organic chemistry - in 3 years i will have PhD degree
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:16 pm

Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Im 13. If I remember well the first game I played was Dark Wolf.
With Need for Speed III I really begone with 'gameing'.
The first RPG that I played whas Gothic.

Gothic II Credits
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

1. DzD is correct - wrong forum!
2. This has been discussed before: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8021
3. Corwin - I am 43, one almost teen

@Corwin - let me guess, Zelazny fan? Can you place Lintra?
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:23 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I think that most of us can place Lintra.

But I'll let Corwin answer.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:48 pm
The Dread Pirate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am 38. I also have a ten year old son that plays DAoC and D2. In my gaming guild of 50 ppl, half are over 25 (but none older than me).

<dang: 2 posts. I'm getting chatty in my old age>
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:01 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm 16 years old and I'm going to be a gamer untill the day I die. I was born in 85 which was when Final Fantasy was released, my dad was a big time D&D player at the time, and when he found out about Final Fantasy he couldn't get enough of it. I watched him play that game all the time and I would try to play it. (Usually I just walked the character around aimlessly) Anyways I finally beat it around age 10. Final Fantasy was all it took, I was hooked.After only about 6 years of gaming I'm proud to say that I've (as far as I know) tried out every RPG for the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and a most of them from the Playstation up to current. Then came Diablo......I was amazed that I could play an RPG with other people online. I've been hooked on online RPG's ever since that damned game.I have never tried any type of D&D, but I do know this. Role playing isn't just a game....it's a way of life.
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:25 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'm 27, married also. I've been playing games since around 1980 when I discovered coin-ops. There may have been a few RPGs that I played on a friend's Color Computer and later the Commodore 64, but my memory of the time is a bit foggy. Another friend and I discovered The Bards Tale (for both the C64 and AT) around 1986, and became hopelessly enchanted. I guess I'm 16 in "RPG years".

The Bards Tale encouraged me to get into Dungeons and Dragons and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in the late '80s.. My favorite pen-and-paper RPG was Paranoia. I no longer play these.

I've played most of the major RPGs on consoles and the PC. Although I'm less interested in consoles than I used to be, I'm still a fan of the Final Fantasy series, Xenogears, Phantasy Star, and so on. I've played many of the Ultima games and was very much addicted to UO when it launched. Other memorable PC experiences include the rest of the BT series, Hero's Quest series, Wasteland, Fallout, Might and Magic 6, and Wizardry 8. I've played every adventure game that Sierra made. Other favorite (non-RPG) games within the last 5 years or so include Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Silent Hill 2, Ico, and The Longest Journey. The best RPG that I've ever played is Planescape: Torment.

Currently, my interests are moving away from any single-player games. I'm generally playing games less often. I'm giving some thought about eventually working in the game industry, currently learning more about 3ds max, C++, Maya, etc. My hobbies include web site design.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:44 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

AHAA!!!!! 16 and married? (see other post in NWNforum) Now I KNOW you´re pulling my leg one way or the other!
=|#
Myself is 24, been playing since early 80´s on commodore 64. Been playing RPG´s on and off for something like 15 yaers, and crpg´s for five or so.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:55 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

my hat-smilie got messed up

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:59 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

@Pinnen
I don´t know how it looked it looked like.

@All
Can you guess how old i am.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:03 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
@All
Can you guess how old i am.

I know.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next