FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Fire Golem immune to a thousands of gallons of water. No 2H
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

WTF? I swear, ever once in a while I run into
some cursed bug in the game or something totally absurd that makes no sense.
First off, I'm a Guard for Old Camp, yet, no one in the entire camp teaches 2-Handed Sword! Someone on the forum said Thorus did, BUT HE DOESN'T!
THEN, someone said Lee teaches it, but HE WON'T teach me, cuz I have to be a member of New Camp.
BUT I don't want to betray Old Camp if I've pledged loyalties to them. Kinda dumb, that no one in the more powerful and better equipped Old Camp knows how to use a 2-Handed sword.
Totally lame.
Anyways, so I killed Lee, cuz he wouldn't teach me.

NOW, I'm in Chapter 4 and have to get past the three golems. I snuck around them. Yet, it says that I'm not worth to see Xardas. I tried to kill the Fire Demon, but the game is buggy, in that it won't let me do any damage to him? I don't understand. He is right in front of me, I slash and hack my sword into him, I use fireball scrolls and crap on him, yet, he is invincible??? WTF?

Okay, so I go back to kill the Golems. I chose to be a Guard in the game, the game won't let me become a Mage. I asked the Fire Mages (of course, they are all dead now) but they turned me away (they said I had to do something for them, but they wouldn't tell me what! WTF is up with that?) and I can't join the Water Mages (I killed Lee), so I can't join them, SO, I can't cast any spells in the game.

So I use scrolls, I hammered the first golem, I melted the ice golem. But the Fire Golem is INVINCIBLE!!!
I used Fist of Wind, maybe I could just "blow him out". Didn't work.
So I used Ice Block, but it was INEFFECTIVE, I used the heard of the ice golem to freeze him, but apparently ice attacks are futile against him. Regular weapons don't work.

Obviously, the game developers made an illogically stupid game.
Cuz next, I had the fire golem chase me towards the small lake near Xardas's tower. I ran along the side and jumped across a small curve on the rim. The fire golem managed to slip and fall into the lake!!!
HE LIVED!
I jumped in and led him to the deep-end of the lake and he didn't die! THE FLAME DOES NOT DIE! THE FLAME DOES NOT DIE!

So I get out and can only stare in confusion at how a fire golem can withstand thousands of gallons of water smothered and pushing in all around him.
If I go in the water with a lit torch, the torch goes out.

SO, how do you get past the fire golem? He is obviously invincible and out-witting him by getting him to fall in a lake isn't going to work.

Imagine that. IF by some way you had the power to magically lift all the water out of a lake and drop it on a fire golem's head, it would be ineffective! IMPERVIOUS AGAINST AN ENTIRE LAKE! Imagine that! No, don't imagine. Just go there and try it yourselves and you'll be awestruck seeing large flaming giant stomping around completely submerged in the watery depths of, uh, water.
Can't kill the Fire Demon (ice doesn't work on him either), can't kill a fire golem with enough water to fill a lake, can't progress in the game, I guess the game is over for me now. I guess I'll have to take it back to the store and trade it in for Deer Hunter or some crap.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:54 am

Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

If you havent killed LEE you would have 2H now..But try and do as the watermages tell you to do..READ the books in the libary..??

Guess what..it tells you how to kill the firegolem..
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:12 am

Try to talk to some people, maybe thorus will start teaching you. He always teached me. You don't want to betray the Old Camp? I'm sorry dude... But That's the storyline of the game. That's part of the main quest

Against Stone Golem, you need to use any kind of a hammer (orc's, war, god's..etc... HAMMER. not a mace, a HAMMER). Against a fire golem, you need Ball of Lightning. I believe I tried Ice Block, and it did nothing to him. Try some lightning spells.

"Okay, so I go back to kill the Golems. I chose to be a Guard in the game, the game won't let me become a Mage. I asked the Fire Mages (of course, they are all dead now) but they turned me away (they said I had to do something for them, but they wouldn't tell me what! WTF is up with that?)"

When you're a shadow, and you did Crawler Queen/eggs Quest, upon coming back to Old Camp you'll be told "Hey I heard what you did in old mine... you can become a guard now" or something like that... Talk to thorus. He'll tell you that you're ready to become a guard (if you're lvl10). One of the options in that dialogue is "I prefer to follow the path of magic" only then will the mages know what you did in the mine, and will accept you. (you'll have to answer some simple questions tho... save before it, just in case)

and I can't join the Water Mages (I killed Lee), so I can't join them, SO, I can't cast any spells in the game.

Yeah... I guess you're done for for now.

So I use scrolls, I hammered the first golem, I melted the ice golem. But the Fire Golem is INVINCIBLE!!!
I used Fist of Wind, maybe I could just "blow him out". Didn't work.
So I used Ice Block, but it was INEFFECTIVE, I used the heard of the ice golem to freeze him, but apparently ice attacks are futile against him. Regular weapons don't work.

As I said, try using Ball of Lightning.

Only problem that I see so far was you not being able to be trained by Thorus... Weird. Try to explore some options in the old camp. Talk to Scorpio, diego or thorus. I think you'll find something.

Yeah, the game has bugs... But none of them are fatal.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:10 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You mastered 1-handed weapons?
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:30 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

If I remember correctly, simplest ice bolts are enough to kill fire golem. And maces (all smash-type weapons in general) can be used to kill stone golems (not 100% sure).

[ This Message was edited by: soltys on 2002-02-03 06:50 ]
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:48 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

As Gorath said, you have to have mastered one handed weapons (i.e., level 2 in the skill) before Thorus will consider teaching you two handed weapons.
The ice missile scroll will work fine with the fire golem...

...but killing Lee wasn't very nice of you ! Actually, he's quite amiable.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:38 pm
Wraist
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

use lighting bolts or ball lightning!!! i killed the fire golem in only two hits after charging ball lighting!
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:39 pm

Ah yes. I did forgot you have to master 1h in the OC before Thorus teaches you. That might have been the problem. As for me, so far I've never mastered 2h seriously, until this time. I've played xbow/magician/1h, bow//1h/magician, 1h/magician... etc. This time I'm going bow/sword, full str/dex. No magic so far...hehe. All the jokes aside, but in Chapter 4, a 68 dmg bow with 130+ dext hurts a crapload... Barely ever have to take out my sword ;P

One more thing. Is anyone really good with combos in gothic? Somewhere it said that the more you hit the more powerful the next hit becomes... Bullcrap. I did 4x up combo. (the spinning one, and double one). Every hit did same dmg as the first one. Also, I once put a Juvie troll to the wall, and did about 20 or 30 hit combo on him... without stopping a single time. Hits did the same dmg. (actually, only crits hurt him. and all of them did the same dmg.). Is there like specific combos you have to do to make them better?
My favorite is left-right-up-up-right-left-right-up-up-up-up-left...etc. If you're fighting something big, put more up's in there... cuz he'll retreat if you got him in a combo. (like that troll)
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:55 pm

To clarify some things, I was already a Guard, Thorus was still being a snob and wouldn't teach me 2H.

OH, and I have mastered 1H recently, but I'm already in Chapter 4, I hope he doesn't try to kill me if I run into him.

That sux that Lee is the only other one (what about in Swamp Camp? I haven't killed anyone of significance yet over there) who teaches 2H, cuz I have alot of nice 2H weapons!

Yeah, well, I'm pretty high on 1H, I dunno if I can learn anymore unless there's someone else later in the game who can teach you.

I DEFEATED THE FIRE GOLEM. I just had to go back and find someone who had the ice-spells, I was just too lazy to go back and then have to travel all the way back to kill a fire golem. I swear, making him fall into the water should have worked! I should get brownie points for ingenuity, don't you think?!
WHATEVER, YEAH, so I went back and flung some ice bolts at him and he died. YES! Maybe cuz they were "magic ice bolts" and the lake water was just "plain ol' lake water"?

Now, I'm stuck on the whole Orc Temple part, CUZ, earlier, I had already killed all the Orcs there and found a way through the gate.
BUG!
The wench is jammed, okay. But if you run up to wooden gate, on the far left wooden pole that is part of the gate, between it and the left stone arch there, if you run into it and move around a big, you can clip/squeeze through!
OR, you could just become a meatbug and crawl under. OR, you can go back out down the bridge, turn left, and go around along the edge of the hill there, around the tower, until you find an area you can jump up on and there is a sort of path alongside the hill that goes up and around. Continue up and around, negotiate a somewhat steep incline and POOF! You're on the hill, and run towards the Orc town and you'll be up on the area above the gate near where that tower is (can't climb up that tower), you can then just jump down behind the gate (though you'll have to find another way to get back).

OKAY, I got the idol but what do I do with it? The one gate has a lever but it won't move! I thought it was suppose to open once I had the idol. Maybe I forgot something. I went back into my log and nothing Uru-whatshisname told me about how to get in, about the idol, is in there! I go back outside to talk to him and has nothing else to say to me. A bug?
Maybe I can use the clip-cheat to get through it, I'd rather not. Being a meatbug gets me half-way through it, can't go any further for some reason.

HMM.

OH, another bug was when I was in the Free Mine going to find the Ulu-Mulu maker, and Gorn started to attack me half-way through it. WTF is up with that?
(maybe he noticed I was using Lee's Axe???)

HMM.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:56 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gorn in the Free Mine is the last important bug. Tell him to guard the door and do all the fighting alone.

You have to enter the temple twice. The first time after the Ulu-Mulu quest, the second time at an obvious point of time.
You can enter it with the orc teleport scroll or pull the lever with the statue in your inventory.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:32 pm

Explore the orc town. You should find "orc teleport spell" somewhere in there. If you want to get trained 2h in sect camp, you HAVE to be a part of the sect camp. My advice so far: don't worry. I've finished the game 3 times without 2h. You might want to deck yourself in anti weapon dmg gear... I've about 150 weapon resist once. Almost no orcs could even hurt me a little bit.

If you want, you can restart... once you get to know the game better, you can finish it much faster. First game took me 30 hrs to finish... On my 5th(now) I'm up to I believe 9th-something hour and in the end of chapter4.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:00 am

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

If you want to kill the fire golem with water, you are right, 'regular ole lake water' wont cut it. You'll need to get the water bottles from the Rice Lord, about 634 of them. Then, find a perch near the fire golem and begin to squirt the golem. You see, the bottles are filled with "Evian" mountain spring waters...after about 600 douses of this crystal clear mountain fresh water, the golem doesnt die, but its so soggy now that it must leave (the game) in search of a towel...
hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the game
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:01 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Let's see it like this, a critter made from magical fire would never succumb to something as primitive as non-magical water ... which is why a magical ice spell does the trick...
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:32 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

hey whoa, Rice Lord's water is not non-magical, he sprinkles a bit of fairy dust on each one before he caps it
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:36 pm