View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There is a game in my bug!

Yes it is.

I often wonder what sort of games the futere is going to give to us, and right now (or should I say, the last 10 years?) our games have been more and more filled with bugs? I wonder, can anyone remember a game realeased in the last 5 years that did’nt have to be patched? Ok, so games are huge today and the code can never be 100% bug-free, and some of the pathces released are just modification, but still, I feel like game companies are releasing more and more junk today. Never seem to be botherd by testing their product before they release it. We, the consumers are the testers now. Do you really want to PAY money to fix a product?

Any great ideas as to what we gamers can do to turn this trend?
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:04 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Wait for the reviews and dont buy the buggy games. If it's a good game though, wait for the price to drop by at least $20 and for a patch to be released. That's what I tend to do.

The all-mighty dollar speaks the loudest.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:26 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

First off, I can only think of one game off-hand that asked the consumer to pay for a patch, that one being X2. Second I think the answer to why there are so many bugs is simple, there are a hundred timed more lines of code than games had ten years ago, and who knows how many different companies producing hardware. I think bugs are simply inevitable now, and will be more so as games get more complicated and more graphically intense. But so long as companies patch quickly and don’t pull an X2, then I have no complaints with it.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:57 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What do you mean consumers had to pay for an X2 patch?
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:14 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Roach
First off, I can only think of one game off-hand that asked the consumer to pay for a patch, that one being X2.

What I meant with "paying for fixing a game" was that we buy the games, find out its full of bugs, go to a forum, complain a lot, and then after a while we, the consumers, have found most of the bugs that the test-teams where suposed to find. They make the game, we find the bugs, they release yet another patch,...and so goes the cycle. I don't consider a game finished before it's as bug-free as it can get.

but that is just me.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:27 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I didn't pay for an X2 patch.

This is a difficult issue and one I don't think will change much. Games should be as bugfree as possible, of course (although I can't recall ever being seriously affected by bugs).

The reality is that projects that can afford it (those from Blizzard, for example) will put as much QA in as possible and those with tighter budgets will get as close as they can and cross their fingers. The CRPG industry is cursed with both (relatively) small sales and complex games...and that won't change.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:16 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I absolutely agree with Dhruin. Combination of large game environment, nonlinearity and not large budgets produce bugs and will continue to produce them.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:32 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

And no matter how much testing a game goes through, nobody will be able to find every single bug in a game. Games now are too broad and change so much by the player's actions that it is impossible to find bugs that occur from each individuals actions. SOme people might hit wrong keys, some people try to do to much at once, everybody is different and the number of people companies get to test games are not even scraping the surface of the human mind.

*End Speech*
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:18 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Roach
First off, I can only think of one game off-hand that asked the consumer to pay for a patch, that one being X2.

huh?.............
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:35 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I paid for a patch for X2 ... it cost me 5 minutes of my time to register my CD-Key so I could access the download section... beyond that... um....

I hate how buggy games are released today. It usually sucks the fun out of running out opening day and paying top dollar to be 'first' like I used to do with the old Gold Box D&D games in the 80s/early 90s. Still, I don't see QA doing a better job (although there's a LOT of MORONIC things that make it through... hardware problems I can forgive; 200 people reporting the same broken quest within three hours of release I cannot.)

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:35 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

I rarely have trouble with bugs in games, even ones reported to be riddled with them. And most companies are good about patching pretty quickly. Some games even have a "check for patches" button on their startup screen. I say when the developers refuse to make patching free, or to make patching at all, is when the line needs to be drawn. But like Grolav said, every game made in the past 10 years has been patched.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:18 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Buggy games do tend to piss me off. At first I try to ignore the bugs and enjoy how good the game is. Then it just gets on my nerves and makes me angry almost to the point of taking the game CD (or CDs) and using them to slide around the driveway on (as I do with AOL CDs). However, there are some almost bug free games out. I can think of Call of Duty off the top of my head. The patches for Call of Duty were all concerning multiplayer and usually just changed something that wasn't a bug and added new stuff. I'm almost certain that the upcoming World of Warcraft will ship as bug-free as is possible for an MMO game. But yeah, bugs really suck when they ruin a game experience. As for paying for patches, if it's true that you have to do that for some games that is the worst shit game publishers have pulled in awhile. We shouldn't have to pay to fix the mistakes the developers made.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:54 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

games with bugs are really annoying cuz you can't bypass most of them
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:23 am