View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
freestonew
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

a "smartheap/microquill" question!

hi all....

I, the other day, noticed that i had about four-plus gigs free on my hard drive, and i wanted to play Gothic II. good, i think, only 2 gigs in the install. *just* room.
after i installed, i noted that gothic takes up over 3 gigs!!
oooops! ate up my hard drive!

when i started the game, i read a message saying...."memory allocation program setting your memory settings, please wait" , or something like of that.

Since i was left with only 1 gig, i decided to uninstall this interesting game, too too bad, that opening scene with the mage looked interesting!

i uninstalled.

I then used a registry fix program to get all of the registry entries out, so that some day i could re-install.

there was an entry in my registry refering to a program called
"Microquill" and "smartheap".
aha.
the memory manager!
[this here game comes with its own memory manager. it installs along with the game.]

When i checked the C drive for availible memory after uninstalling, i think that
the size was LESS than i had before installng gothic II!

thus my question is....
Did this Smartheap/microquill memory manager also uninstall with the uninsatation of Gothic II?!
is this Manager still there on my computer? i see it not in any folder, by searching, there is no uninstall function for it and the *name* cannot be found, so i assume it is gone.

but is it gone, and if it is still on my computer, how can i get rid of it, to reclaim space?
or.....
if itis still there, should i just leave it there, to [???] conflict with morrowind or neverwinter nights, also on my hard drive?!

thanks....freestone

freestone wilson
Post Mon May 16, 2005 12:27 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Whatever this is, youīre the first one ever on this forum to notice it. Itīs more than unlikely itīs installed with Gothic 2.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 3:47 pm