Dwarven City_Forge
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
nimbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven City_Forge

Well, I am challenged. I got to L8, jumped across the platforms with the devil dog in pursuit, got the dwarf meat and key and got the Dog under the press, smashed him, no recovery there. He doesn't return as is suggested in the walkthrough on this site. Anyway, found all the mithril, already had some, got all the molds, got the mithril to big to carry and zapped it back to the machine that smashed the dog to break it up, BUT, now the machine does not work when pulling the lever. So, skipped that and went to the 2 machines to make the mithril sword, put in 2 pieces in the right machine, the one without steps along with koltic powder, does not work, get the "somethings wrong" comment from my character, yes, I put in a stone of power. Presses go up and down, no Mithril Bar is produced

Any ideas?
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:38 pm
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re:

If you don't re-power the crusher and break up the Large Mithril Chunk into 4 smaller chunks, the bar maker won't make a mithril bar. Also, the metal chunks you have before the Large Mithril Chunk is just iron. The powder won't mix with it, only mithril. You need to find all the power stones and re-power the crusher.
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:56 pm
nimbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven City_Forge

I thought I tried to repower, but will try again, thanks
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:02 pm
nimbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven City_Forge

Thanks for the advice, machine will NOT accept a new power stone, just tried it, all that happens is that the grate over the lava pit opens and closes when operating the lever, still stuck
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:04 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Dwarven City_Forge

quote:
Originally posted by nimbus
Thanks for the advice, machine will NOT accept a new power stone, just tried it, all that happens is that the grate over the lava pit opens and closes when operating the lever, still stuck

I just did this part yesterday. I think what actually happens is, there are two of the hell beasts. You kill one with the press. There's another one that jumps through a wall as you go down one corridor, then it chases you, and you have to go back to the room with the press and use the lever to retract the floor plate to get the beast to fall into the lava. So I think the walkthrough is incorrect on this part (it says the beast 'faints' under the press, then becomes active again). Maybe you haven't been down the corridor where the beast jumps through the wall and this is preventing the scripting from working at that part.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:02 am
nimbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven City_Forge

That sounds reasonable, i will track every hallway to find the dog #2
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:25 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

2 beasts...

Rebooter is correct ...this is what I've experienced as well...let us know what happens...thanks

THE TAROT
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:36 pm
arxtraveler
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

2 dogs ?

I could not find the lever to activate crusher, nor would the dog eat the meat. I read in the walkthrough to activate lever in room 16 to open floor to lava pit. When I first saw dog I ran straight to room 16 activated lever and ran back to other lever in room 15 and swiched it open just in time for the dog to fall in. I was not approached again by another dog. Supposed to come through wall at point14. Nope. No dog. I finally found the smasher lever.
Have fun.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:38 pm
nimbus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dwarven City_Forge

Things are not going well but I suspect I know what went wrong. If I am right, this part of the game is very poorly constructed.

I have been all over all passages looking for Dog #2, or #1 reborn to lure into the lava pit, no luck, also cannot reload the crusher to break up the large mithril block. Here is why, I think: when I crushded the original Dog #1, I pulled the lever TWICE, you know, an extra time for good measure. Now, I have used up the allowed crushes in the script one dog #1, one for the dog and one for the mithril and nothing in the code allows for this. Seems VERY linear to me. Anyway, I will go back to the jump over the original lava pit and do the whole level over, the "right" way this time, I hope
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:32 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I got the dog into the lava... Quite frankly I think that's how the game was deisgned to make you kill the dog, not crush it though that's a clever bit (which almost everyone does since it's in the walkthrough).

Anyhoo that wasn't what I really wanted to talk about but rather the fact that it re-appears... It seems this only happens when entering room 16, well, actually when LEAVING room 16. I once left the room while the dog was in it, and when I return in the corridor it scared the **** out of me when I saw the dog in front of me instead of following me. Course I died almost instantly so I couldn't check if I had two dogs there
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:51 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Red
I got the dog into the lava... Quite frankly I think that's how the game was deisgned to make you kill the dog, not crush it though that's a clever bit (which almost everyone does since it's in the walkthrough).

That's a good point. It would have been much easier to kill both dogs with the lava and not chance wasting a power stone. I was bascially running for my life because the beast can't be killed with weapons and could take me out with one or two hits, so I was just running like a panicking chicken to get up on the catwalk before it got into the room with me. I didn't notice the lever for the floor panel at that time. Oh well, it was still satisfying to crush it and it worked out ok for my anyway.
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:18 am