The (Magic) Circles /Firemages
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Chiefo
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The (Magic) Circles /Firemages

Im currently only in Circle 2 as Firemage, playing with my Fireballs..

Anyway.. after playing around in Add'on world i gained alot of lvls so now im lvl19 with 350 in health but only 95 in Mana. I have a job to do in add-on world inside those temples but the firedragon and the other scary stuff wont be afraid of my fireballs. And as long as i dont progress to Circle 3 i dont see what i should do meanwhile then to jump on to VoM where i havent been yet.

What do you need to do to be allowed to learn a new circle?

Mana? Lvl? Missions?

Btw.. Ive read some posts about it and someone said "no" Runes in Circle 3.. i currently have 5 stones ive found. IS there no Rune in 3 i should get? (I found the healing rune)
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:34 am
Chiefo
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lvl20 and still not "ready" for the third circle.

Seems like those circles are mission based, meaning i need to get to chapter 3 to get circle 3?

PS: i have a huge problem with mana potions.. i hardly have any left and i hardly anyone has anything to sell because i already bought it. I can make mana potions but its hard to find Fire roots and those plants.. instead i have 100 healing plants. If i find a few to make mana, i use them fast as im walking around killing stuff..
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:04 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Yes, the circles are tied to the chapters. You get circle three when you come back from VoM and Circle 4 just before you go back. The only spells I found useful in circle 3 were ice block and medium heal. Circle 4 was destroy undead and large fireball, circle 5 wave of ice and circle 6 rain of fire. Those were in the non addon Gothic 2 though. There might be ones I don't know about.

Engor in VoM will sell some mana potions to you.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:21 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I am also replaying as a Fire Mage, having played as a Paladin my first time through.

I really enjoy how different they made the experience for the different guilds. I also made it different in that I rushed to align with the Militia my first time through, so Onar's farm was very different for me. This time, I got through most of the Mercenary quests before skipping off with Betsey

I'm entering the VoM now in Ch2, and I see what people talk about inbalance for Mages. I'm sure this was discussed ad nauseum when the game was new, but my personal wishes for the 'perfect mage' setup:
- Give a 3rd stat, like Wisdom, that is trainable like Strength and Wisdom, and impacts damage and overcoming resistance.
- Take away Mana training, except for Paladins. Everyone else can increase through Potions. But make it start higher, like 50.
- When you become a Fire Mage, you should start regenerating mana.
- Runes should have damage that scales with a combination of Wisdom and Character level - in other words, a Fireball could do 30 + j x Char Level + k x Wisdom bonus.
- Wisdom should also decrease the mana used for runes.

I find I'm playing as a BattleMage, trying to use my Runes, but needing lots of my Two-hander in a pinch. I had wanted to use spells and a fighting pike (mage staff), so I used low-damage swords early on and adjusted my tactics. It is working OK ... we'll see as I advance.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:25 pm
Inept
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree that the fire mages got the shaft this time around. The cost of 10LP for 5 Mana once you get to a certain point is ridiculous. They basically just cut mana bonuses from everything in half without tweaking anything else. Just increasing mana from LP alone seems fruitless, and the mana potions are only half as strong as they used to be.

And besides all of that, fireballs do jack to orcs, and at level 14 with only 36 strength, and my skill invested in one-handed swords, I'm out of luck. Orcs mow me down right now.

Hopefully it'll get better later on...
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:30 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

@Inept

Are you playing NotR? Because I don't remember mana training costs going up like that. Something for me to keep in mind if I try the translation mod.

BTW backing away from monsters as they come at you will help in fights with 1H. They won't be able to hit you. It's like a parry almost. I just finished regular G2 with a mage and had 30 on 1H. Wandered around a good while with about 35 str. Learning the potion of str later and using some of your king's sorrel and dragon root will help.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:21 am
Inept
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry, yeah it is NotR that I'm playing. Dexterity and strength also do this at a certain point as well. Even when I was unguilded that happened.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:03 pm