Wizardry 7.... need some info
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Wizardry 7.... need some info

Can anyone give me some information on where I can get system requirements for Wizardry 7 and, if playable, where I can buy it?
I'm having a difficult time getting this info down myself , especially the requirements. Although I'm sure my computer surpasses it, I need to know if it can still work. Daggerfall, for example (if anyone still remembers that game) crashes repeatedly on my current computer but not the old one that's stashed in my closet (Pentium 133Mhz, WIN 95, etc). Probably driver issues. Oh well.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The original Wiz7 does not run in Windows. It's a DOS only game. If you get the Gold version, it will run, although I believe you have to use a slow-down utility like mo-slo to get it to behave properly.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:49 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ah. I see. Thanks, dteowner.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:14 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've never tried to play Wiz7, so perhaps someone can give you more detailed instructions for making Wiz7Gold work properly. Oh, the Wizardry Archives (pretty sure that's the name for the package that has Wiz1 thru Wiz7) includes the Gold version.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:51 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks again.

Until I get a new computer, I might as well play around with the old stuff I've never played.
Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:10 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Ultimate Wizardry Archives does not specify system requirements. It comes with 2 versions of Wiz7 - the original Crusaders of the Dark Savant and Wizardry Gold. Crusaders was meant to run in DOS (not DOS underlying Windows), while Gold can be run directly from Windows (while a DOS program, it has a skeletal Windows interface).

I have not run any of the series in anything later than Windows 98. Some notes:
Wiz 1 - 5 are truly DOS based, but launch right from Windows without a problem. I suspect they will continue to work in the later versions of Windows.
Wiz 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY IN WINDOWS. While it will launch, the timing is so messed up that you can't play it (ex: taking a minute between frames in the opening animation sequence going into the castle). You need to boot your computer in DOS Mode; just make sure your sound and CD drivers are installed in the boot. (Your boot disk does not need to have these files on it; they can be read off the hard drive for installation. That's the way I did it.)
Wiz 7 see notes in first paragraph
Wiz 8 works under all versions of Windows.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:56 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks, Bilbo

And I know what you mean about timing. I once installed Lords of the Realm II on my Windows 98 computer and everything was moving faster. It was funny at first but it wasn't playable.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:57 pm
RUR
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wiz 7 on Win XP

Hi there,

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

I have not run any of the series in anything later than Windows 98. Some notes:
Wiz 1 - 5 are truly DOS based, but launch right from Windows without a problem. I suspect they will continue to work in the later versions of Windows.
Wiz 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY IN WINDOWS. While it will launch, the timing is so messed up that you can't play it (ex: taking a minute between frames in the opening animation sequence going into the castle). You need to boot your computer in DOS Mode; just make sure your sound and CD drivers are installed in the boot. (Your boot disk does not need to have these files on it; they can be read off the hard drive for installation. That's the way I did it.)
Wiz 7 see notes in first paragraph
Wiz 8 works under all versions of Windows.

I did try Wiz 7 (Crusaders of DS) on Win XP and it worked. Well, it worked 50%. I could make it run on my desktop (Win XP Pro, SP1), but it did not work on my laptop (same OS). Even compatibility wizard didn't help.

Does anyone have experience with earlier versions running under Win XP? I wish to get at least Wiz 6 to work. I gather that there are no free downloads available since they sell the whole collection

R.U.R.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wizardry 7 have problems with newest OS, mainly with XP. It is possible to run them, but you can not be sure that it will.
It is because DOS is not really integral part of XP (but is integral part of 9.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:46 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Wizardry Gold runs on the newer machines, but not all that well. Even with a slowdown utility, my recollection is that the text still moves too fast to read. If you want to play these older games, you'd be better off tracking down an old 486 computer and putting DOS on it. Plus, as far as Wiz 7 is concerned, I've heard that the original version is better to begin with.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:12 pm
RUR
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

wiz 6

Hiya,

btw, does anyone have Wiz 6 to download? *wink* I do not want the whole series, but the Dark Savant (wiz 6,7,. I am not even sure I can run all wiz archive on Win XP anyway.

Cheers, RUR
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

No. Unless it's become abandonware any other download is piracy. And we do not support piracy here.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:32 pm
DBear
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wiz 7/Gold and modern PCs

First of all, you will need to download a patch to get it running on Pentium-based systems.

Go here to download patches.

"My best friend's a spider; my girlfriend's a cardboard cutout I stole from Circuity City." Spock's Beard--"Devil's Got My Throat"
Post Sun May 02, 2004 1:55 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I know it's late but

Gold version runs fine on my pentium 3 computer with windows ME, here's something important!!!!!

There's a option in the game for text speed :O, just turn that to slow and it'll work. There's a few bugs in it though, the funniest one is if you press the left arrow in character creation your charecter will get 439824 in the attribute selected and 0 in all the others......

Anyway it's horrible to create a party in that game I remmember spending several hours rolling stats for my chars to complete the game on hard.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:58 pm
mron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try Dosbox to run DarkSavant. It works perfectly for me, with perfect sound effect and "timing" even on a mordern computer. You can easily adjust "emulated cpu cycles" option to meet the correct animation-/game-timing. And it's...free, wow.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:10 am