Usergroups
how far do you roleplay?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I never play female characters in rpg's. I think most of you play female characters because you wish you were one but cant handle coming out of the closet in real life and you like the male npc's to man handle you when fighting. Just tell the truth and stop all of this bs.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 9:43 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lordr31z
I never play female characters in rpg's. I think most of you play female characters because you wish you were one but cant handle coming out of the closet in real life and you like the male npc's to man handle you when fighting. Just tell the truth and stop all of this bs.

Actually, I'm quite comfortable with my manhood. So much so, that I can leave it be and try something different for change. I don't feel "frightened" to play a female character. I also don't have a need to prove my manhood by playing an uber l33t warrior that beats up on everybody with his uber stick just to show them who's the boss. I don't feel any more that I have to prove anything to anyone about my manhood, let alone to myself. So, you should re-examine your motives for "never play[ing] female characters in rpg's." Or are you afraid you may find out that you like being a girl too much?
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:42 am
some guy

typically, if I play a female, it's because she looks hot. But there isn't really any reason to play one in morrowind for that reason cuz all the girls in this game are as ugly as sin (the character models in general are). And plus, first person mode doesn't really allow much view of the character anyway and the paper doll in the inventory screen is small.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:57 am

7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some guy:

* Resize your Inventory screen!

* Hold TAB while moving your mouse

Enjoy!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 10:06 am
some guy

I knew someone was going to say that. But first of all, I'll never want my inventory screen that big since I'll have to resize it every time I need to sort stuff. Second of all, I'll never go to my inventory screen just so I can see how my character looks. I like to see him/her as he/she progresses in actual gameplay.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 10:58 am

7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the info
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:55 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Re: how far do you roleplay?

quote:
Originally posted by some guy
I was wondering if anyone would not use a piece of equipment just because it's not the "style" of your character? Like a thief not putting on a shield or helm or a mage using only staves (even though most of them are no good). I mean, what effect do shoulder pads have for a thief?

Wow... This thread has wandered way off topic!

I've quoted the original post because it's the question I want to answer.

I do like to play in character. I'm playing a thief character and there are certain merchants and nobleman that I haven't stolen from because I like them or they've helped me. If you don't relate to your character what's the point of playing a RPG game? If you don't RP then you aren't playing in the spirit of the game, so what's the point? You're just going through the motions anyway, you might as well watch television.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:21 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

playing in character adds alot for sure. however, some decisions might be made to move outside your characters original skillset. a thief might decide to learn illusion or alteration in order to do a job. some people think that is going completely against the character and roleplaying, but use a parallel to real life - if your career choice of 15 years dries up because of a shift in the economy, do you curl up into a ball and die? or retrain yourself with a new skillset and move on?
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:31 pm
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

RL parallels

And is standing next to your bed or in the Mages Guild casting spells against the wall to level up realistic?

Think again. Of course it is! Think of the lowly Mage Apprentice. He will n0t adventure and risk his neck. In fact, casting spells against the wall is much better roleplaying.

And using skills outside your skill set. What about a lawyer working out at the gym. Or running places. My father never had any interest in athletics until he hit middle age. He was a consultant. Then he began running and ended up running the Boston Marathon multiple times. Kind of like training a misc. Athletics skill, no?

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 2:10 am
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Amongst the flames and flame retardants, there doth lie some interesting concepts (sorry, that's just the way we Canadians talk, eh). For me, role playing is not sticking to a specific weapon type, armour/no armour, magic/no magic, etc. In life, one has to learn new skills to survive and hopefully thrive. I have no problem extending this to a CRPG. I started work when there were only IBM mainframes in the computer world; now I spend 75% of my job on PCs. Certainly not a major or minor skill starting out but a misc skill that I needed to learn to do my job. My MW character unsurprisingly has the same attitude. Get a quest that he can't do with his current skill set and he learns/practices new skills that will get him there (sneak and speechcraft are the obvious ones that my Ranger had to add to his 'arsenal'). What role playing is for me is staying in character, even (especially) when that makes life difficult in the game. So my character has a personna and 'we' act within that personna. We don't complete quests that would compromise that personna and the moral code he/we would like to live by. There have been a few compromises, when only poor options were available, but that too is life.

What I like about MW is that the game does force moral choices upon one - even if a lot of people don't seem to notice. One can play moral through amoral to immoral (is amoral the midpoint between moral and immoral or is it more like a triangle?). And for me that is the true role playing element, making the tough choices true to one's character and for me it adds a significant level of depth and enjoyment to the game.

Finally, reloading. I lack the moral fibre or whatever to never reload. I reload when I make a bad decision - e.g. quest to kill Khajiit thief in Vivec, find him, seems like a decent if dishonest type, eventually taunt him into attacking me and I slaughter him. It just felt wrong so I reloaded and the Khajiit still lives. Sometimes I wish life had a reload option. I also reload when I foolishly get in over my head and die. I do this instead of one of the divine intervention options but then must avoid that area for 10 game days. So it's not reload until you get lucky but it's not exactly pure either.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:55 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

While browsing the spoilers forum, I came upon this post by Rob:

quote:

and i had a dream about some guy in a golden mask and a bunch of people talking but no lips moving , and not being able to breathe... anyway has anyone experianced this?

at first i was afraid i SOMEHOW contracted vampirisim even tho' ive NEVER ran into a vampire anywhere, so immediately i recalled to my house (the tailor woman's old house... i murdered her because she looked at me funny, and i needed a pair of pants.) and started casting all my cure disease poison blight spells , used all my healing rings , and ran over to the temple , got EVERY blessing the statues would give me , ran back home and slept for 4 days straight, anyway all my stats are normal , i see no signs of vampirisim ( but im a dark elf so its kinda hard to tell) and when i talk to people they dont scream and throw garlic at me.

If this isn't a nice piece of role playing, what is?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:06 pm

How far do I roleplay. When I die, I start a new character. My new character has had quite a few close calls.

The problem with this is the periodic ctd. So I have to save routinely. I would much prefer not saving at all.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:59 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5