FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Windows 2000 (Server): wont work
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Windows 2000 (Server): wont work

upon opening the hatch from the beginning (thus loading an exterior map), the game bluescreens. the file reported wigging out is "nv4_disp.dll".

i have tried loading other save games, same thing: interior maps work, but upon exiting a building it explodes.

anyone else running in windows 2000 server?

and please, dont say "upgrade to xp". i need server for a reason. all my other games work just fine.

latest-everything drivers.
PNY GF4 ti4400
SB Live (sound is disabled)
Abit KG-7-RAID
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:45 pm

Re: Windows 2000 (Server): wont work

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
...the file reported wigging out is "nv4_disp.dll".

That's the NVidia driver which means either it's the graphic driver, the directX driver, or some conflict of the aforementioned with other drivers. Specify which NVidia drivers and others (VIA etc) instead of 'latest' and maybe people can help more.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:48 pm

kibbles

i know its an nvidia driver.

which part of "latest" dont you understand? would the ver numbers really incite you divine useful information?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 12:42 am

JohnnyRock30

We'll, they would give us more info than just being an ass. Don't bite the hand your asking help from, my friend.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 3:16 am

kibbles

whatever. if you HAD any info, i wouldnt bite your hand off.

but, seeing as i *just said* that i had the latest drivers, asking "uhh do you have the latest driver?" is pointless. so, unless youre a developer in disguise, stow it pal.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:43 am

da_Milkman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Confirmed

If anyone reading this thinks that Kibbles is a raving lunatic, he's not.

I am experiencing the same problems on nearly the same setup. When you leave the ship you get the bluescreen of death.

Any other people running this on W2K Advanced Server?

Any help would be appreciated.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:25 am
Postman

win2k hatch crashes

I am having the same problem, game totally crashes ... actually restarts my puter as soon as I open the hatch from the boat. I originally thought it was my sound card because the intro movie was choppy, so I went and bought a soundblaster live..still choppy. still crash. I tried disableing sound in the morrowind.ini file and have the latest v6800 drivers. v3.79 its a geforce 32mb ddr. No idea what to do!!! any info pls help!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:09 am

Caelistis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Interesting....

Here at the house, I run almost exclusively dual processor machines.

I have a couple of Tyan Thunder and Tiger MP boards.

The Thunders are running Win2KAS as they are sometime webservers.

I use one as my personal gaming machine and graphics workstation with a VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti4600 card and I do not have ANY crashes whatsoever.

I'm running a SB Audigy Platinum Internal for my sound card and I'm using DirectX 8.1.

I'm running 28.32 Detonator drivers, not VisionTek's.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:37 am
Galdaen Sunfire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It could be a couple of things. I have found that if you do not completely remove the old drivers, the new ones don't quite work properly. The latest nVidia drivers are 28.32. Try setting video driver to Standard VGA, rebooting and then reloading the nVidia drivers. This is what I had to do.

If you are using a Via chipset, there is a known issue that crops up that causes a BSOD. If installing the latest Via and nVidia drivers does not fix the problem, try downloading nvMax from http://www.charnleys.co.uk/NVmax4.exe. There is an option under the System tab in the Miscellaneous section labeled "BSOD fix" or something. Just check this and you will be AOK.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:58 pm
kibbles

FIX

uninstalling (not just Stopping) Terminal Services prevents the BSOD.

still sorta lame, as i use TS a dozen times a day... but maybe it will help them to fix it.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:16 am

wG_mithrandir
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Same problem at Win2K Professional

It's not Win2K Server, but I have the same problem. Opening the hatch the game freezes (no bluescreen, no crash to desktop, simply stops doing everything but playing the nice background sounds).

My Specs:
AMD TB 900 MHz
Radeon 8500
640 MB RAM
SB Live! Player
Win2K SP2

I forgot the mainboard is a MSI K7T (-> Via-Chipset, therefore I'm going to try the latest Via4in1 Drivers...)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:10 am