Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
official box screenshots. Did they cheat?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Starfox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

official box screenshots. Did they cheat?

how the heck do they get so cool screenshots on morrowind box?

I mean, I have an Athlon XP 1400 + Radeon8500 + 256DDram and it's no where as colorful as the official screenshot. The textures are much better on the box. Why? what hardware do they have?

I think it might be a 3Dmax rendering but not game screenshots
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:25 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It's always a question of your hardware and the settings. Maybe you have low texture quality in your radeon settings? I, for example, can tune the texture with my Geforce from butt ugly and extremely fast to crisp and somewhat fast.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:01 am
Starfox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have anisotrope filtering on + smoothvision on (whatever the smoothvision setting it is the same)

I'll try to uncheck compressed textures. And you Randelius, do you have on your screen what you see on the box? I'm very curious to know if someone can have the same screenshot quality
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:10 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sure you can turn the niceness somehow on and run at about 0.3-5fps. Is that what you want? A slide show?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:11 pm
Starfox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

@MoonShadow: I agree with you, but I want to know if it's possible to have such great graphics as displayed on the morrowind box. Because if not, it's a cheat. If it's possible, then how?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:14 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

When I shoot my screen shots I set the resolution to 1600 by 1200, the file you get is in what ever the resolution the computer is running at the time.

I open the shots in Adobe Photoshop and correct the color, brightness and contrast.

The final results look as good or better then the ones on the box which are pretty small.

I have printed several of them as 8 by 10 glossy prints on my photo printer and they look amazing.

Mike
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:21 pm
Starfox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thank you hawthorne. So they used photoshop to retouch them. it makes sense.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:40 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Been there, done that.

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9112
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:30 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Whenever you reproduce a 1600x1200 screenshot at a small size, you get great resolution and loose the "pixelisation" you have on your screen.

Take a screenshot, and print it as a thumbnail with a high dpi printer on good quality paper. I think you'll notice that there is no need for manipulation.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:33 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Baalcipher, these shots you are talking about were taken from a very early demo build of Morrowind that was basically a tech demo before the real content was developed. If you happen to have the CE of Morrowind, you'll find them included in the artwork booklet. In the booklet, they are labelled as "screenshots from prototype".

One of them shows Vivec on land, for example
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:37 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

I know that!!

I'm trying to show these people how common that method is.

Remember my reference to Bad Dudes?

----
Remember the shot of the Ministry of truth over solid land? There was no High Fane to be seen either. Morrowind even included the icons they trashed in those screenshots.

I must refer you to try out Marathon Infinity for the Mac. They had old alpha versions of the game that were too powerful in earlier computers(which are more than playable now). Its an interesting history lesson in bungie fps history.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:30 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Remembe they are playing on high end pc's. Ya i can reproduce those screenshots with my geforce4ti4600 with ease. My visuals are actually better than the screenshots shown on the box.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:30 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

As I said I process the pictures in Adobe Photoshop.

Unprocessed the pictures from Morrowind all tend to be too dark on my computer, much darker then they appear on the screen. In fact some of them are almost black, some aren’t, I don't know why. They look fine after running “Auto Correction” in Photoshop. I just tweak them a little to my tastes.

My computer is very carefully set up for color, brightness etc., because I do graphic design work that I send to commercial printers, and the color is balanced for a number of Adobe products, and color matching systems. My monitor and printer are matched up so I can see what I am going to get when it is printed out. So I never change my monitor settings to accommodate games and such.

The game color and brightness settings are all set from within the game if the game can’t do it well enough I live with it.

Mike
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:25 pm
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I doubt they use Photoshop to touch up their screenshops...that would be HIGHLY unethical, and if it were a tv commercial would be highly illegal.

Looking at the pics right now, I can honestly say that my game looks every bit as good and colorful as that box.

If you have a GeForce card, which is what they use, go into the Color Correction Tab and turn Digital Vibrance up a notch or two. BEAUTIFUL!

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:38 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You don't think they touch the art up for advertising; you got to be kidding.

Didn't you ever hear of putting the marbles in the vegetable soup to make the vegetables come to the top?

I've been in the advertising business all my working life and I guarantee you that what you see is what they want you to see.

There are actually people (I have hired them myself) whose full time job is food styling. They are hired by photographic studios to make the food look great and they use blowtorches and spray cans to do it.

When they are done the photo retouchers take over.
Did you ever look at that picture or a hamburger on the menu and compare it with the one they gave you?

And for game boxes how many times have you seen the title art passed off as screen shots.

Mike
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:52 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next