Question about levels needed. *spoilers*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Question about levels needed. *spoilers*

My question isn't about how high level you can be etc. The Germans are probably laughing at us newbies bragging about getting every last str, hp, etc. Wee, I can kill a orc warrior in one hit! I can take 5 paladins at the pier at the same time and have 50% hp! Uber! The game is pathetically easy after level 10, so it's utterly pointless more than once, just to say I'm god and even a malevolent undead dragon dies before it's done speaking. No, my question is what is the LOWEST level you can beat the game with? I played a mage first and a Dragon hunter second. Going to try a dragon hunter archer and then Paladin, but I'm thinking of intentionally trying to be a choad/weakling, running for my life more than anything else. In that way maybe these goofy looking dragons might be a challenge instead of running in, pressing three buttons, walking away. The mage was more challenging by far. Becoming one took awhile to figure out, cost a fortune for a first time player with no knowledge of skills and item location, and the spells left me running often once the mana was depleted. Warrior types are fun, but way too easy added with the knowledge of where weapons and stuff are. But even the mage was sad really. I love this game though. Don't get me wrong. I've had so much fun playing. Maybe the best RPG I've ever played. But someone PLEASE mod a few things like Monster stats. How about the Orc Slayer? What the heck is that about? This awesome weapon isn't even guarded?! If you know where that is it's all over for the poor monsters. Oh no a few Black Goblins are near the pyramid? Pfft, run past them and into the pyramid. I wish I could remove that weapon from the game At least in the Dragonslicers case you won't be getting that without a nasty fight. THAT weapon was awesome. A nice skeletal nightmare waiting. And once victorious? You're rewarded with one of the coolest scenes in the game IMO. Room Humming with power. Rotating blade in an incandecent light. Tons of loot. Orc slayer is cheesy and for wimps. Oh and now that I'm griping even the Black Troll was sad. 1 Potion of speed later and a few chops from my sword or a few summoned skeletons later and it's dead. And it's treasure was weak to boot Someone spawn a few Orc Elites and maybe a couple of lizardmen in that mayan temple. Give the dragons 20k hp and make their breath attack hit for 75 at least. Is anyone working on Monster tweaks? Are there any plans for patches to give us a difficulty setting? It's nuts not to have one. I admit I power leveled SOMEWHAT the second time playing in the new world, but shouldn't they expect alot of people would do that? After realizing how easy it was the second time through I relaxed in the Valley of the Mines, leaving as many monster as I could to kill later but it was still incredibly easy. Enough said.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:09 pm
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Question about levels needed. *spoilers*

quote:
Originally posted by Greyslayer

The game is pathetically easy after level 10, so it's utterly pointless more than once, just to say I'm god and even a malevolent undead dragon dies before it's done speaking.

Hmm... The game is not *that* easy. I am currently at level 16 in chapter one and it is fairly easy to be killed. Just face a pack of Snappers and tell me how to do you survive! They can outrun you and tend to attack all together. Okay, maybe I am dumb, but this is another issue

On 1:1 fight it is true. Even an Elite Troll can be killed with enough patience, but when you face multiple opponents it can be really difficult.

Cheers,

Saruman
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:35 pm
klawz
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm lvl 35 and I wouldn't say the game is pathetically easy.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:04 pm
Predator
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

After being level 15, game is pretty easy. If you lure the monsters carefully, you can destroy even the pack o f snappers . And more important above them, the final boss is really crap I killed it only with 10 ten hits with my Wrath of Innos.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:14 pm
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm, as for Snappers I had the same problem the first time through until I realized that instead of jumping right at them or nuking with a fireball if you just inch closer to them carefully you will attract just one of the snappers attention. It will slowly walk towards you in which case you can pull it to a safe location and slaughter it. Pretty lame. On the other hand Wolves and Wargs also attack you intellegently, thanksfully. But you soon learn that and avoid them until a bit later. Before long even a full pack of those are no challenge :/ I couldn't imagine 30 of them killing my Dragon Hunter, but who knows.

And as for being level 35 and it still being challenging. I suppose the first time through I could say that. The second time through knowing where most things where and how to do a good portion of quests the only thing challenging would be a kamakazi dash through about 10 orcs, hacking and slashing a few, running a bit and slashing a few more. What really set me to this mild disapointment (After much enjoyment previously) was when as a dragon hunter I pulled 3 orc elites with 2 orc warriors and had over 50% hp when all was said and done. That was after wiping out the paladin for 5 paladins at a time and then opening the gate for max experience

I wouldn't think it would be terribly difficult to implement a difficulty setting in a future patch. But I honestly don't know enough about modding, or what that kind of work would require for PB. Just hopeful. And I still wonder how low of a level you could be and still beat the game.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:20 pm
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Agreed with the main boss. With a mage... Heh, man. Thank god you aren't that powerful for most of the game. At the end you can just send in a few skeletons and file your nails, lob in a Destroy undead while toking a few swampweed reefers, or the most rediculous spell, breath of death, which Innos himself would consume toxic levels of speed potions running from... I have to say to the game benifit those spells are awesome looking and hella fun to play with. I kept expecting the main boss to be insanely difficult based on the kind of power I possessed. And Army of Darkness? Oh my god haha. Too cool, but what can live through 7 casts of that?
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:41 pm
klawz
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ya you guess is right, its the first time through for me, but the challenge now is not snappers, wargs, lonely orcs and not even dragons. As Saruman said before, one on one combat is not a problem anymore, but when you run into a group of four or five orcs and elite orcs, that's challenging enough for me.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:50 pm
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Greyslayer

I wouldn't think it would be terribly difficult to implement a difficulty setting in a future patch. But I honestly don't know enough about modding, or what that kind of work would require for PB. Just hopeful. And I still wonder how low of a level you could be and still beat the game.

Morrowind has a "difficulty" slider that can be adjusted any time. Basically it influences the kind of monsters you may face and combat-related factors.

Yet, really high levels players equipped with best-of-breed weapons and armor find the game too easy.

The problem is that once you play the game again, you know where to find good weapons, armor and artifacts.

Take DragonSlicer. The first time (assuming you are NOT reading this forum you found it by exploring. After, you go there directly.

Perhaps the best thing would be to randomise the position of key items. Define a number of hot-spots in the game (caves, hidden ruins, etc) and scatter valuable stuff there each time you start a new game.

In that way, you may still spend a lot of time to collect the right stuff.

Just my opinion, of course!

Saruman
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:14 pm
Jojia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

Take DragonSlicer. The first time (assuming you are NOT reading this forum you found it by exploring. After, you go there directly.

As for getting the dragonslicer in the beginning i can't see how that would be even possible?. The guardians guarding the sword took me forever to kill and i was around lvl 21. This is my first time playing the game so there might be some wierd tactic to use that i don't know of.
I don't use that sword anyway.. just took it becouse it looked so damn cool i use the Wrath of Innos.. much better and i have 100% on one-handed... is there any differense if i have 90% instead of 100%? do i hit harder the higher i am?

//Jojia
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:38 am
honourcobain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

so thats a little odd my friends, the game isnt easy!..NO OK i play THIS game for the first time and dont plan for a second turn for now...but if i ever try the second turn it wont be easy to...i realize that you guys have lot of time to play and draw every single orcs attention to you and seperate him from other orcs....but me must work 9 hours a day and 1 for reaching home and i have only max 3 hours for playing the game every day..most days i can only play 1 hour..and with the all savings and loadings i think now that im the fool of gamers cause it is impossible for me to say that this game is to easy..its not! im not an incapable gamer..not with the many years ive played these games..in baldurs gate you can easy kill an orc but the scout orc that i meet in level 1..you cannot kill these guys if it kills you with just one blow! thats not easy..but of course you level up..and leveling up helps you to kill enemys..thats the way it is! you get stronger with exploring areas kill countless enemys and gaining experiences solving quests...but even when i was level 14 it was not easy to kill 2 orcs when one hits from behind...not i have not the time to seperate every single orc from the others and slaughter him...if im level 14 then i must kill in easy 4 orcs...no thats not an easy game pals...you are wrong! My opinion
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:08 pm
[fr1k]
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

game realy is easy if you are a paladin. but if you think you are too good than use rusty sword instead orc slayer.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:26 pm