Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

i hate all of you , crap i need it now
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:29 pm
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

No, i think the main character is the same still, i could be mistaken though. Lares is definitly different.

Just wanted to say the game is awesome, the world seems even more alive then gothic, with the women working little pieces of farmland in the day, and the men going to work, then the pub gets packed at night and men go to the brothel. Have any of you ever been to the brothel, that video you get! A little steamy for gothic lol!

And then people actually go to sleep, rather then sit in a chair, and the marketplace is bustling in the daytime, and how people all start getting stoned on the swampweed pipes at night! People even stay at the inn and then you wake up in the morning and they are at work. Then ther is the contrast between the slum area and the upper town area and how they seem to have different bedtimes There are all the small jobs that you can do for people and you can even get a proper job (blacksmith, hunter, carpenter etc.) It just seems like a real town. AWESOME!

btw, the guy that arranges fights behind the warehouse at night, thats cool too
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:21 am
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The fighting is excellent too, far better then the original, with the blocking and stuff. You can actually beat a stronger character by out performing him in a fight, even if he has better armor and weapons.

I suppose you all know the graphics are way better too, amazing water reflections!

The conversations you hear as you walk about town, and the people giving speeches, you guessed it, awesome too!
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:29 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Which combat system are you using?
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:01 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with that..the fighting is much more interesting now..because of the "one click" fight thing, and the new way of blocking attacks....
however it does suck that the buttons for "attack left/right" are "home" and "end" and not just put in the mouse button combo

I use the Gothic II controls, so that's automatically the new combat system too, right?

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:37 am
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think i'm using classic, with the left and right buttons combined with the attack he swings left and right. Also if you time it right you can perfrom a longer combo while pressing forward. Backward is block, similar to the original gothic except the blocking is way better and the battles seem more fluid.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:51 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

And the autotarget feature works really good too.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:49 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've noticed they havent quiet translated it all. Anyone notice german text in the journal? I first noticed it when Ignaz taught me to make healing essence, the recipe appeared in german in the journal, for those who had the problem, it says 2 healing plants and 1 knot weed (and a flask is needed ofcourse).
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:03 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

wait... no more german accents... yes! finally! beautiful!
Post Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:40 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I noticed that they tweaked the controls very slightly. You no longer have to press up as well as control to speak to someone, at the start I was on top of people whilst talking to them. The graphics look amazing, but they are plauged by fog, at least on my system. I would imagine that its my now crap system (I only have a 32megabyte graphics card and 256 megabytes of RAM, and I can't upgrade it untill september )

one thing, is there any way to steal sheep? I'm trying to become a mage and I couldn't be arsed getting anothe 100 gold pieces to buy one. The one outside Xardas' tower looks nice, any way to take it?

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:22 am
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

hmm im not good at writing reviews all i can say is , Gothic 2 is everything you can expect from a sequel they didnt change alot of stuff so its still gothic and you will feel at home. They changed the controls a bit i play on gothic 2 , i attack with the mouse button. The graphics are smoother and more crisp the world is beautiful and still has the birds humming the wolves look more agressive and evil. If you loved Gothic 1 , your going to love gothic 2 more to explore , good voice acting , everything got no problems with it and i love it a must buy for any one
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:08 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, as far as I am concerned, Gothic 2 is just more of the same.................which is brilliant !!

Obviously improved grafix and stuff.

The whole setting draws you in and is a believable world. Some games seem as though you are a bit "distant" from your character but with this gem, I feel as though I am there.

With a great game such as this, I suffer from the problem that I get so engrossed, that I forget to save.......darn.

As mentioned above, the town is alive. I play this on headphones so that I can pick up on all the ambience. I was chatting to a guy just inside the gates of the town and 2 other guys were chatting some way off. I tried to listen to them and lost the plot on what the first guy was saying....

Then I heard a slight noise and turned to see a woman sweeping up.......sweet.

All little things that help to make this game and also emphasise the amount of thought and effort that has been put into it.

The character voices...well..I reckon its the same main characters voice, but all of the other guys...not sure yet. Like a decent rock band, the voice has to fit the music style and with Gothic 2, this has been done brilliantly.

I still love the way that citizens come running in when you enter their house. So many games allow you to just wander in and "collect" items....

I am only at lvl 2 at the moment and just found a guy that can train me in strength. Just got farmers clothes and a branch for fighting, but now my strength is at 25, I can get something better.

In another thread / forum, we were discussing scariest moments and such. Well, whilst searching the old dry moat outside the town walls, 2 big rats jumped on me from behind.....not really "scary", but it freaked me out slightly.

Anyway, this is an excellent game for the Gothic fans and for some newbies.

I must admit to not having read the manual, so I was not aware of the "new" combat system and I am still using the old method which is not a problem.

This is a game I have been waiting for (as you) for some time in the famine that is the RPG market. The trouble is, work and sleep keep getting in the way.

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:13 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Well I must say, i am quite impressed how good gothic 2 feels.I've only been playing few hours and i'm allready so hooked in.Sure i don't have the slightest idea about the plot..only what "he" told at the begining.But 'm learning much.Ofcourse like in real-life people are not telling everything allways.Heh if you talk too impolietly, carry the consequences.Some guy allready beat the shit out of me.Just because i didn't want to do something for him.That bastard took all of my gold(30 pieces!).I know it doesn't sound much, but for a newbie its more than enough..

I've been using old gothic control-scheme because it feels very natural, so can't say anything about nrew control-system:).
My old fellow is at level 2 now.I've been doing some small erands like getting turnips to some farmer, buying wine etc..I'm not ready to take an orc yet, but i've have a better weapon allready than a shortsword(got it by reward).Sadly i don't have enought strenght to use it

Damn there are so many things to tell, but i'm not gonna spoil anything for you.I haven't even read the manual to ensure the first experience feels just right .Carry on lads and gals,its been fun for sharing some news..now i have to get that wine to some guy outside city walls, thought i feel quite thirsty myself..
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:55 am
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Me a Gothic Vet installed this and first thoughts were oh no look at the cheapness of quality of the gfx, and the surrounding areas also. But eventually I did notice one good thing.

No loading between areas, so you can play the one large area with minimal loading (ala A certain MS game beginning with D)

Also you dont have to shift money anymore when selling, which was another bonus

The fighting is intense, with less than the hardware eating engine used in Gothic, framterate etc has improved also, and quite alot of speech.

Put your hand up if you found something out of the ordinary in the speech, all I can say is one of the farms, he says a phrase, the text dissapears but speech remains, you can hear one of the voice actors explaining "we should use that word it sounds old fashioned" LOL

I started to get less heartened when I found out I can move about on this map pretty quick, and thought there wasnt much to explore, wrong, it loads into bigger maps to run about in the dark when you cant see

And the orcs are evil, one hint, parry,parry, swipe left,right,up , etc

Yep the game does draw you in a bit.

One BIG BUG

When going to the penal colony again, after fighting some orcs and a loading screen appears, DO NOT head into the mine to the left, I did, It reloaded a level, went down a cave, followed the path, and errr kinda ended up where I started, so I went up the hill and CRASH. So head right Trust me

Score : 8/10 so far (the love scene movie was pants, she was wearing a damn bra :\)
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:48 pm
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Oh yeah

9/10

Why?

No MUD so far
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next