View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Enough threads to make a rug yet?

G'day Spacehounds!

Many many years ago I was the proud owner of a Ford Capri. (Note to those accross the pond: : I have a feeling that you also have/had a "Capri" but I'm not sure it's the same thing.)

It was my baby and we had some great times together. Anyone old enough (and local enough) to have enjoyed "The Professionals" will understand of course that I was "Bodie" while my best friend was "Doyle".

Sadly all good things must come to an end and there came a time when the constant demands of my lovely but ageing Capri, finally outstripped the abilty of my wallet to satisfy it's demonic thirst for maintenance.

So with a tear in my eye I advertised in the local "Automart" and barely two days later my baby was snapped up and duly collected never to be seen again.

Or so I thought!

About six months later I was driving through town in my new runabout, a passionless piece of tin with a high regard for the enviroment, but no character and a face which fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down!

Suddunly my eyes were pulled to a house I was passing. There on the drive was a man washing his car in the sunshine and the car he was washing? Well you know without my telling you.. it was my Capri!

I pulled over, I couldn't help myself. I actually went over and talked to the guy. He seemed like a nice chap and once I told him who I was we chatted for ages! It seems he had deeeeeeeep deep pockets and had restored my baby to her former days of glory and there she was..more beautiful than she'd ever been when she lived with me.

As I drove away in my Auto de Ugly I was torn by a torrent of mixed emotions. On the one hand I missed the fun we'd had together, but on the other it was obvious how much better off she was now.

These days of course the whole thing is ancient history and I wonder at how agile I was to leap in and out of that low down critter and how on earth did I ever manage without power steering and all the other electrical do dabs which I take for granted. But now and again when I see a Ford Capri sweeping along on lifes dual carrigeway, I can't help but give a wistful sigh.

Dry your eyes spacedogs! I come not to sadden your hearts but to ask you a question.

Do X2 npc's buy ships from the stations? Are the ships they have on sale purchased not only by us flesh and blood punters, but also by the digitally enhanced locals?

Why do I ask you this? Well because "Heart of Gold" is starting to show her age and limitations. "Disco is dead"? Well... maybe not completely, but my discoverer may one day soon find herself up for sale while I upgrade to something meaner, more capable, but probably more souless.

All this is looking into the future somewhat of course, as any of you who have read my threads to date will know that I am almost down to my last credit and banking on the silicone full cargo bay of "Hobbling Boris" (my Mercury and sole cargo ship) to score a solid hit and start me on the road to a fortune.

But when I get around to it.. when "Heart of Gold" is finally exchanged for something with a little more zip.. will I be criusing through the sector one day and see my old baby pass me in the vacuum?

Badger
Post Tue May 24, 2005 10:26 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I expect this will pain you somewhat--you'll get a message, "ship destroyed". Your Disco will be turned into cosmic dust, Badger.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue May 24, 2005 11:54 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

<Enter Heston Mode>

"Damn them! Damn them all to hell!!!!" I'll keep the damn ship! I'll see her rusting in some museum before they get thier stinking dirty paws on her!"

<Exit Heston Mode>
Post Wed May 25, 2005 1:17 pm